• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

New to PCP Airguns and Marauder

Purchased my first PCP airgun. In fact I haven’t even had a pellet gun in 30 years. I used the agnation code and saved on a new Synrod and pump. Ordered a 22 cal and had pellets waiting. I was mounting the scope before I realized Crosman had sent a 25. I double checked the shipping label and it said 22. I almost had the scope on, so what the heck. Located some 25 caliber pellets and thought I would give it a try. First 5 pellets at 25 yards went into less than 3/8 of an inch. Now I'm not sure I want to call Crosman on their error. Would the 22 do that well?

How Piggy the .25 Marauder is, depends on whether you add aftermarket products to it. A Marauder with aftermarket TSS (spring assembly), Lightweight hammer, upgraded valve, larger transfer port and hole in the barrel, and a Huma regulator can give you 42 regulated shots at 40 FPE. Each horizontal line is 5fps variation in speed in the graph. The graph is zoomed in, there are 165 lines below the lowest line in this graph.

1533702812_9905652695b6a729c264352.48431183_42 shots 40 FPE.jpg

Crosman did take care of the "Hit and Miss" barrel problems a couple years ago. I have a 5 year old .22 Gen 2 and it shoots extremely well. However, I'd keep the .25 if it's shooting that well. Never look a gift horse in the mouth if you know what I mean. The .25 will only get 16 shots per fill, so, yes it is a bit of a hog. Them's the factory specs. .22 gets around 30 shots per fill, so a bit more efficient, but less hitting power.

Heck! You made out on that deal! The 25 cal costs more than the 22 or 177. You paid for a 22, at a great discount, and got a hard hitting 25 instead. 

Like it it was mentioned earlier, save up for aftermarket mods, if you should so desire to, and you can increase your chit count and equalize it with power, like the 40/40 tune(40 shots at 40 foot lbs).

Get/invest in a chronograph for sure, as that is the only way that you’ll be able to check what is happening to you shots per any adjustments or modifications. If you decide to keep it stock and just use the factory adjustments, take note of the factory settings first, so you can easily go back. 

Imwent with all the Tim Hill products for my mods. Currently I’m at around 856 FPS average for around 38 shots. If you want quiet, use his Peek striker along with his moderator. All I hear is a PPPPFFFFTTTT and the sound of the pellet hitting the target. James Bond rifle, I like to say, lol.