New to PCP Air Rifles - FX Wildcat

I'm the winner of the Airgun Depot grand prize FX Wildcat but don't know a thing about PCP rifles.

So, a couple questions...

1) Is it really hard to hand pump PCP rifles (I'm a strong male that weighs about 195lbs)?

2) If an air rifle can be hand pumped, can I (or why can't I) use the air compressor that plugs into my car?

3) So the only way to fill a portable tank is to have a professional do it (like a dive shop) or buy an expensive compressor?

4) My research shows that the .22 Wildcat can push pellets average 875 to 900 fps. My Benjamin Vaporizer .22 averages 780 fps (16 grain). I thought PCPs were much more powerful, so why not a dramatic increase from my NitroMag?

So these are my most pressing questions, thanks so much!

1. It can be hard if you have a rifle with a big cylinder. The wildcat has a medium sized capacity so you should def be able to do it without a problem. It wont be hard, more annoying that anything. 

2. Regular compressors only go up the mid 100psi. An air gun needs upwards of 3000psi. In short regular compressors would blow before reaching said pressures. 

3. Yes basically

4. WHen you buy a pcp you get easier more repeatable accuracy than any spring air rifle. In order to get good accuracy out of a spring gun you typically need to hold it with the artillery hold. PCPs are closer to guns where you just grip it and rip it. Once you push a pellet past a certain point you actually begin to lose accuracy. Roughly 900fps is the "sweet spot" for accuracy and power. 

Have you had a chance to shot your new gun?

1. No, not that big a deal. I'm almost 69 yrs old and I can pump 3000psi in my two rifles. Normally two stops, for both the pump to cool a little, the internal air to cool a little and yea, me to cool a little. Everything gets hot as the pressure builds. You might find, that if you fill the whole 3300 psi in one quick sitting, letting the rifle sit for 10 or 15 minutes, the pressure will drop as the air cools. Just physics.

2. Any "normal" car/garage compressor isn't capable of pumping to the required pressure or 3300psi in your particular rifles cylinder. Note, if you will be hand pumping, you don't "need"... to go that high if your arms, shoulders can't take the effort..! You'll just have to repressurize a little more often.

3.Yes.

4. Just a design thing. I'm also new to PCP. From what I understand, the actual pellet design isn't overly stable much over 900fps. Not stable, not accurate.

Mike

It had about 150 upon arrival (manual says don't shoot 100 or less) so I shot it.

What surprised me most about my first PCP is little noise and zero recoil (at least it feels like zero next following gas piston). And I shot bullseye six times offhand at 25 yards right out the box.

I'm waiting for a connector so I can refill it because Airgun Depot didn't include this little piece that connects the tank to the fill probe.

Sorry to hear of your new found predicament. If it helps you out I'll swap you a sprinnger.

As scuba wsnt an option in the area ( and no one had scba) I had pumped for years, easy, all technique-lock elbows & drop full body weight, easy. Filled many 500cc big bore from empty. That was when hand pumps were new. Now the sub $100 hand pumps ( have had 2 ) are equal or better than the name brand standards. Thought I was living large when I got a 110cf "if it's HEAVY it's a Faber" steel tank to lug around in the woods, blind hog heaven it was.

Have a shop compressor (or "need" one?) maybe look at "boosters" much much closer to 100% reliability than any sub $2,000 compressor.

Pop on in the airtank/compressor/et al section of the forum, NO shortage of ideas from folks on air supply.

John

I am also new to PCP shooting and also need an air supply. I have scuba in my area and have been looking at used Scott 4500 psi SCBA tanks on Ebay as they seem a reliable method at minimal investment / effort ratio. I'm clear about the 15 year expiration as well as 5 year testing requirements.

Is my approach a good one? Also, I would be very interested to learn about other member gun air supply methods and cost.

1567868491_7957913315d73c64b837bb8.15517098_C9BC1017-A42D-40C3-8E8E-2E879CBA5046.jpeg
I will trade you this for the wildcat.