New (To Me) Impact .30 Questions for a relative PCP Newb

I just received an Impact .30 with a bunch of accessories from a fine gentleman on these boards (thanks djl62150!!!). I've been crazy busy and haven't really had a chance to play with it. I've got a bunch of questions that hopefully the crew here on AGN can help me out with.

1. The kit came with a 500mm .22 barrel. It didn't come with a shroud. Do I need a 500mm shroud or can I get one of the other lengths. In addition, does the shroud HAVE to be .22 caliber to make it work?

2. The gun is tuned for .30. If I swap calibers, what does the tuning process involve? I'd like it to be accurate but I'm not competing or anything so I'm not looking to squeeze water from a stone. Is it as simple as swapping out the barrel and turning a few knobs to achieve my goals?

3. I'm looking at a 2nd bottle in aluminum. Yep...I'm cheap like that. Is that a simple swap of bottles or is it yet another thing where a change from a carbon fiber bottle to an aluminum one will require "tuning".

4. The gun has a sideshot .high capacity .30 magazine with the metal piece thingamajig (my scientific term) to make it work. If I get a .22 high capacity magazine, will this metal piece thing work or will I need one specifically made for .22 caliber?

I haven't fire this bad boy yet but I've held it and stared at it for ages in the same way I do with my watches. What is it with dudes and our infatuation with fine engineering lol?

Anyways, thanks y'all in advance!

Kev

Are you saying you have a 22 liner, no probe or barrel tube? If so you are way short!

If you swap calibers you will surely have to "cool" that bad boy down

Bottled air is bottled air. That's what the regulator controls. 

The thingy is the magazine adapter. It works with all calibers. The large magazines have the same dimensions.

Did I miss anything?

Yes, you will need a barrel shroud assembly to support the liner and a probe to match the caliber. If you want to keep the 500mm length, then you'll need a 500mm barrel shroud assembly. If you want to change the barrel length you will need that length barrel shroud assembly and the matching liner in that length as well. The barrel shroud assemblies typically run $400 per length and per caliber. Barrel liners typically run $109. You'll want to tune for whatever length and caliber you go with for best results.

You might be able to swap calibers and just have to turn the power wheel down, OR.... reduce reg pressure and power wheel, depending on if you choose a fairly heavy .22 slug. Also if you want it as efficient in .22 as possible. I like simple so I would try to keep my reg pressure the same (30/22) and just turn the HST to 1 or 2, then also comes re-zeroing the scope etc, I just broke down a bought a separate Impact in .22.. I'm not the type to spend hours tuning a gun and write down every minut detail, but there is a perfect swap for say 44gr JSB 30cal to a 40gr 22cal only requiring -1 or -2 HST, I'm sure the variables are endless.

Hi Kevin, hope you got my email this AM.

1. You have a Smooth Twist barrel. For that 500 mm barrel you can order from Donnyfl a perfect fit shroud for about $120.00 ready for a 1/2 x 20 UNF suppressor of your choice. You can also order from Utah Airguns a Hugget shroud for the 500 mm with the suppressor already installed on it.

2. If you look at the paper I sent you with the tune, all of the hammer spring adjustments clearly change the velocity. I am sure that a number towards minimum with a reasonably heavy .22 could work. But you also have to keep in mind that your regulator is set at close to 145150 bar and learning to tune (as is nicely shown on the FX website) will give you a much more efficient shooter and likely more shots at a lower .22 regulator setting.

To go from 30 to 22 is a huge step down and you need to tune down your impact big time. First your regulator need to go from 140 bars down to probably around 80 and you need to back off your hammer spring preload a bunch, I say try 18mm when it's at max first. Good luck with the new toy, it's like the hot girlfriend, not easy to figure out but a lot of fun if/when you figure her out.