• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New to me Crosman 160

RickH

Jan 22, 2022
Evening everyone,

Friday I was able to pick up a beautifully restored Crosman 160 in .22. It uses two 12 mg co2 cartridges. It’s been modified to use 10 round Marauder magazines and has a single shot block as well. I’m told it’s grouping sub moa at 25 yards with three different pellet weights. It came with a Bushnell AR 2-7 32mm sidefocus scope and a nice padded case. It’s a great looking rifle and absolutely hits my interest in classics. I hope to step out tomorrow and give it a go. Sorry about the crappy photo. At the $300-ish price I’m pretty sure I stole it. I wonder if I can split a card with it. We’ll see.

Rick H.

148BBE1C-A03D-4EFC-ADCD-ADF6A0167294.jpeg

Crosman was really retarded for not putting scope grooves on theirs. Not even a butt plate on half their co2 rifles. Cheap. I used the barrel screw hole to hold a front base and epoxied the rear base (made them) to accommodate 11mm rings on my 160 3rd. Still on there over 25 years later. At least the gun has a good trigger. I have one or two with the Mossberg sight too. I have so many 160, 400, 150, mk1 and 2, 600's, 622. I don't even know.

I got to shoot it today, finally. Took a minute to figure the magazine loading procedure and at first I was doing it backwards but I figured it. Shooting at 15 meters and about 25 yards I got consistent 1/8-3/8” groups at both distances. I was shooting without any stabilizing other than my arms and suspect it could do better from a bench. Using a pair of 12g cartridges I got about 50 consistent shots before power started dropping off. About the same as my match rifle. Overall I’m extremely pleased with this old rifle.

Rick H.

Reactions: maxtrouble
I've owned about a dozen 160s. Have serious doubts about Remington barrels, especially considering vintage Crosman barrels shoot lights-out. The only 160 I still own is this Sears & Roebuck Ted Williams Match Rifle model-

TW 160 trophies.JPG

As documented in the photo and my writings, TW embarrassed many-a .177 TX200, HW97, and Whiscombe in NRA Silhouette competitions in the 1980s and 90s. It has factory scope grooves... that are so shallow as to be practically worthless. So I hawked scope mounts for decades to scope several otherwise unscopeable vintage Crosman models.

Ted came to me in rougher cosmetic condition than I usually consider buying; but after refinish of the wood and metalwork it proved itself beyond anyone's liveliest imagination. Even mine!🤪

I found it pretty hilarious how few competitors expressed the slightest curiosity about the fifty year old .22 Co2 rifle that sold brand new for $21.95; before OR after it kicked their butts.:ROFLMAO: Now find it hilarious how many contemporary airgunners discount all Co2 guns as nothing more than kid toys.

Partly to prove it no fluke, a couple decades later I converted a $19.95 .177 Crosman 187 Co2 rifle into a regulated HPA-bottle pistol to embarrass more 'performance at ANY price', superfluously-armed competitors in field target competitions.

187 Titles.jpg

Long stretching airgun accuracy testing beyond usual bounds, I'm sure some folks don't/won't believe the truth about vintage Crosman accuracy capabilities. My Ted Williams 160 consistently averages 7/8" five-shot groups at 50 yards. The 187 pistol consistently averages .67" five-shot groups at fifty yards. No brag or speculation; well-documented FACT.

LOVE them vintage Crosmans!🥰

Last edited: