• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

HW/Weihrauch New to me ~1975 HW35 Luxus

Picked up a 35L from the classifieds this week. It been up there for months now and I've been drooling over it ever since, hoping someone else would grab it before my willpower gave out. The seller claims it was a 1973 release but the HW database says 1975 so I'm not really positive when it was made other than early to mid 70s. That being said, I am a bit confused by something. The barrel also says "Made in Germany" as opposed to "Made in West Germany" so I am assuming the barrel had been replaced at some point more recently? Any thoughts there?

What I find very cool about this gun is that it has the German Feimark on the barrel which, according to a Tom Gaylord publication, would mean this gun was originally built for the German sub 7.5J/5.5ftlb market. It would also mean that if it still has the original piston is slightly short stroked compared to most export 35s to reduce power. Based on the shot cycle and the 6.2fpe I'm getting from my chrono numbers, I'd say its probably original inside with the exception of the updated seals and spring. Now of course this all assuming the barrel stamp to be correct which I'm thinking its probably not unless I'm missing something. Anyway, here are some pictures. If any of the Weihrauch experts have anything to add, please do!

20231013_165711.jpg

20231013_165322.jpg
20231012_193716.jpg

Last edited:
Nice .. ya, early 70 would be a good guess . Just the rubber butt pad throws me off on it.. Bavarian butt stocks are nice . Too bad they don't still offer it .

Probly looked at this but I'll link it anyway

The stock was the main selling point for me but the HW rear diopter was an added bonus. I really do wish Weihrauch would bring both of those back. Bring back the old RX1 stocks too while we're at it.

I wasn't confused about the butt pad until you said something and shared that link. I had not seen that yet and it was a pretty good read. If the butt pad was added later on it was done really well.

Reactions: maxtrouble
The stock was the main selling point for me but the HW rear diopter was an added bonus. I really do wish Weihrauch would bring both of those back. Bring back the old RX1 stocks too while we're at it.

I wasn't confused about the butt pad until you said something and shared that link. I had not seen that yet and it was a pretty good read. If the butt pad was added later on it was done really well.
I'll bet the hard plastic one cracked . I've had one or 2 do that ( not hw's). One of them things but no deal breaker in my book

https://www.weihrauch-database.eu/dywp

See if you get a result from the data base

Thats where I got the 1975 date from. Going through the list it seems like a pretty accurate guess.

I'll bet the hard plastic one cracked . I've had one or 2 do that ( not hw's). One of them things but no deal breaker in my book

That logic definitely checks out. I'm tempted to take the rubber off to see if that black plastic spacer is the original pad

Thats where I got the 1975 date from. Going through the list it seems like a pretty accurate guess.

That logic definitely checks out. I'm tempted to take the rubber off to see if that black plastic spacer is the original pad
Maybe to a later early 70's gun they could of just went rubber . You know that subject to change without notice thing.🤤

Reactions: Sqwirl57
Very, very nice. The wood is beautiful. Not sure I’m following the logic on the SN though. I assume the SN is on the barrel? That would mean it’s a 1975 barrel, so unless someone had one laying around to pop on much later I’d think it’s the original barrel. Barrel on my 1983 HW77 doesn’t say W. Germany either. MDriskill might be able to tell us when they changed or why some have it and some don’t. Great score, congrats.

Very, very nice. The wood is beautiful. Not sure I’m following the logic on the SN though. I assume the SN is on the barrel? That would mean it’s a 1975 barrel, so unless someone had one laying around to pop on much later I’d think it’s the original barrel. Barrel on my 1983 HW77 doesn’t say W. Germany either. MDriskill might be able to tell us when they changed or why some have it and some don’t. Great score, congrats.
Thank you! The serial number on mine is actually on the left side of the end cap and not the barrel. If yours is on the barrel then now I have even more questions 😄

Inconsistencies or not I'm definitely loving the gun. I wanted it for its looks more than anything else. I already have two of the newer 35Es but really wanted to see how the old style finger grooves felt (Great!) and the out of the ordinary stock was just something I had trouble resisting.

Reactions: .20calguy
Picked up a 35L from the classifieds this week. It been up there for months now and I've been drooling over it ever since, hoping someone else would grab it before my willpower gave out. The seller claims it was a 1973 release but the HW database says 1975 so I'm not really positive when it was made other than early to mid 70s. That being said, I am a bit confused by something. The barrel also says "Made in Germany" as opposed to "Made in West Germany" so I am assuming the barrel had been replaced at some point more recently? Any thoughts there?

What I find very cool about this gun is that it has the German Feimark on the barrel which, according to a Tom Gaylord publication, would mean this gun was originally built for the German sub 7.5J/5.5ftlb market. It would also mean that if it still has the original piston is slightly short stroked compared to most export 35s to reduce power. Based on the shot cycle and the 6.2fpe I'm getting from my chrono numbers, I'd say its probably original inside with the exception of the updated seals and spring. Now of course this all assuming the barrel stamp to be correct which I'm thinking its probably not unless I'm missing something. Anyway, here are some pictures. If any of the Weihrauch experts have anything to add, please do!

View attachment 396594
View attachment 396596View attachment 396597
Wow!
Congrats!

Very nice! I'm happy for you. How's it shoot?
Thank you! It shoots great. Its nice and quiet which is perfect for indoor shooting this winter. Theres a slight issue with the latch so the barrel has a little up and down play when locked up. The latch in the gun has been modified and it looks like someone took a bit too much off the top end. I'm assuming they probably changed the length/shape over the years so maybe it had previously been replaced and would explain the reshaping done to it. A new latch is like $15 so I'll get a new one coming and go from there. Either way it still shoots fine with the slight wiggle.

Beautiful Gun:cool:!

PA used to carry a HW35 replacement piston for under $50 .... get the seal too.
I'd probably want more power than 6 FPE - that's HW30S territory:whistle:.

Last edited:
Beautiful Gun:cool:!

PA used to carry a HW35 replacement piston for under $50 .... get the seal too.
I'd probably want more power than 6 FPE - that's HW30S territory:whistle:.
I'm slowly starting to build a little 35 collection haha. I have a 13fpe .22, a 10.5fpe .177, and now a little a baby .177 for some indoor stuff. It isn't hoarding if they're all somehow a little different, right?? 😂

Thank you! It shoots great. Its nice and quiet which is perfect for indoor shooting this winter. Theres a slight issue with the latch so the barrel has a little up and down play when locked up. The latch in the gun has been modified and it looks like someone took a bit too much off the top end. I'm assuming they probably changed the length/shape over the years so maybe it had previously been replaced and would explain the reshaping done to it. A new latch is like $15 so I'll get a new one coming and go from there. Either way it still shoots fine with the slight wiggle.
Is the latch have adjustment? Seems to me I read that here a while back. Maybe those in the know will step up. Really nice by the way.