• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New to Hunting

Hi All,

I'm new to hunting. I've been only a few times and mostly I was just along for the ride while others did the real hunting. That was Montana...

However, I live in California (San Francisco Bay Area) and have recently taken the CA Hunters Education and got my CA Hunters License. Unfortunately in this area, I have no friends with hunting experience so I'm going solo (or at least not with anyone experienced). I'd appreciate any recommendations for hunting areas. Any other tips, tricks, anything beyond the hunters education (yes, I know, be careful where I point the gun, have a good backstop and wear blaze orange!)

Being solo, I'm really looking for safe open areas where it's easy to see other hunters and I can start with some small game -- play it safe.

In addition to tips, etc -- I have one question:

Q: When hunting pests, do you just leave their carcass? Is that considered irresponsible?

Thanks in advance

Congrats on getting your hunting license and beginning your hunting adventure. There is BLM land just past Lake Berryessa in Nap county. The last time I was there, I had the place all to myself. it's pretty far off the beaten path so make sure you bring lots of water and some food, along with a first aid kit.

California has a "wanton waste" law. It says that you cannot shoot any animal, pest or not, and just leave it lay. You can shoot an animal, pick it up and toss it in the nearest garbage can and you've complied with the law. Be very careful handling ground squirrels. In California, they have been know to carry bubonic plague. 

Good luck hunting!

be careful where I point the gun, have a good backstop

Q: When hunting pests, do you just leave their carcass? Is that considered irresponsible?

Thanks in advance

Well, in addition to " being careful where I point the gun " the golden firearms rule is 'NEVER POINT THE RIFLE AT ANYTHING YOU DON"T WANT TO SHOOT'., even for a split second. Good etiquette to keep the muzzle generally pointed down towards the ground especially if one is in the chamber, till you're ready to aim/shoot.

Most states have strict laws against leaving any shot animal where it lays. The hunter or pester must remove the animal or at the least make a good attempt to find a wounded animal or carcass. Large fines for not doing such.

When pesting here in FL, the FWC has rules for disposing of 'humanely euthanized pests'. They recommend wearing gloves and being downwind as you're required to double garbage bag them, then disposing them in the trash. Its right on their website, Probably Cali's Wildlife agency has a web site that explains all hunting/pesting rules.

Alloy no-lead ammo for all hunting in many states and definitely alloy in Cali... Not sure if pesting requires alloy also in Cali, probably...

JFYI, regardless of hunting laws/codes/regs, its really bad hunting etiquette to leave a shot animal where you shot it. Or to not find/look for a wounded run away. Many of us have followed blood trails and looked for hours and come back the next morning to try and find the carcass. Its the right thing to do imo...

Good luck, have fun

jmo

You CAN use lead pellets for hunting in Ca. Airguns are not considered firearms, the lead ban pertains to FIREARMS. You can also shoot lead pellets in the Condor region also. Rather than get confused here in the forum, know the regulations before going into the field. Go to your local Fish and Wildlife office and pick up a regulations panpjlet of better yet, spend some time talking to a warden and getting your questions answered. 

You CAN use lead pellets for hunting in Ca. Airguns are not considered firearms, the lead ban pertains to FIREARMS. You can also shoot lead pellets in the Condor region also. Rather than get confused here in the forum, know the regulations before going into the field. Go to your local Fish and Wildlife office and pick up a regulations panpjlet of better yet, spend some time talking to a warden and getting your questions answered.

Yep -- this. I've read through all the California State codes, my county codes and even city codes regarding firearms and airguns. It's pretty clear in California that airguns are not considered firearms unless where they explicitly state the definition of "dangerous weapons" including airguns and those codes only involve minors.

I'm pretty well versed in this regard. My question isn't so much about the law or the education -- rather, where is a good place to go? What's good to hunt?

Thanks

All the advice above is spot on. My 2 cents is "take it slow". Its amazing the amount of game you will see by taking your time. I dont know of any regularly successful hunters that move fast for any reason. I have learned this lesson the hard way numerous times. Walking quickly through a previously unpopulated field sent groundhogs running for cover. Take your time and enjoy the entire experience.