• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

New to Hunter Field Target

I’m new to air rifles and recently purchased an HW77 from Krale and would like to begin shooting Hunter Field Target and have 3 questions.
1. How many fpe is the stock spring generating? If in the future, I decided to detune it to 12 fpe. How much of a difference would it make in shootability (if that’s a word) and accuracy of any?
2. What weight range pellets would you suggest I begin experimenting with?
3. Are there any good tutorials, e.g., setting up the scope and rifle you would recommend?
Thanks, Tom

New FAC rifle will be 13.5 to 14 ft lbs. 12 ft lb isn't much of a change from there.

All Weihrachs like H+N FTT 4.51 or 4.52 head size. You can order them pre sorted from Pyramyd.

Use an RWS lockdown mount. Zero at 25 or 30 yards. Find your holdovers (they will all be holdovers, no hold under) from 9 to 60 yards. One yard at a time from 9 to 13, then 2 yard increments after that. Holding dead on will get you hits from 18 to 32 or 33.

1. Tuning down to 12 fpe will make it more shootable and maybe more accurate, especially under 40 yards. It will not shoot as flat for the longer targets, but going from 14 fpe to 12 fpe won't be a huge difference. For springers, shootability usually increases accuracy.
2. 8.4s. You can play with heavier pellets, but most springers for field target use prefer 8.4. I would try the Air Arms Fields, JSBs, FX and H&N. My luck with buying FTTs has not been great lately, the head sizes have been much larger than labelled.
3. Check youtube channels from Phillip Hefler (DeadEyeNC) and Dave Cole (airgunsoftulsa). You will learn a lot at your first couple of matches. The best (and worst) thing you will learn is that you didn't spend enough time figuring out your yardages and hold overs. And don't wait for your first match to try shooting kneeling for the first time. It takes some practice to find a good position, and you will look like a frog being slowly boiled until you figure it out. Best done in private.