• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New to Filling tanks from compressors

I'm new at this. I have a PCP air compressor and a new 3l tank with all the fittings. The compressor is new and it works great filling the guns but I'm having some kind of problem when I try to fill the tank. Does the top valve stay closed when you are filling from the compressor? If it is open the gauge needle shoots up to 3000 in about 30 seconds which I know is not correct. If the valve is in the closed position the gauge does not seem like it's moving. When I stop and bleed the valve the gauge on the tank goes right back to 0. Totally confused.....

Any valve on the tank has to be opened. Sounds like something is installed backwards or isn't opening to allow the compressor to get in.
Which compressor are you using, if it's one of the smaller portable ones that tank may be too much volume for it to overcome.
I can see why the tank going back to zero is confusing.
Not to worry, you should have the answer pretty quick on this one.

You may need to allow your compressor to build more pressure than is in the tank before you open the valve on the tank. Best Fittings makes a one way valve just for filling tanks with a smaller compressor, it prevents the pressure in the tank from back flowing to the compressor.

One Way Valve.jpg

"Does the top valve stay closed....." ? WHAT "top valve"? You have to be really succinct & descriptive when explaining your problems. Which compressor do you have? When you say "top valve" what are you describing? There should only be one valve on a tank so I'm not sure what you mean. FLgunner might be correct in that your compressor will NOT be putting air IN until it overcomes whatever pressure is in your tank. A one way valve on your fill assembly is a great idea as it lets air into the tank without letting air out of the tank. Pictures of your equipment might also help tremendously. In the interest of getting the best help possible we need to understand EXACTLY what is happening. You also mentioned "the gauge" but never said WHICH gauge, compressor, tank, fill adapter? See what I mean?

Last edited:
SCBA tanks can have two different valve configurations. Brancato sells a tank that has two gauges on it. One gage will ALWAYS read tank pressure and the second gauge will read the line pressure (or also called fill pressure) in the line going to the gun. And then there are tank valves that only have one gauge and that gauge is going to show the line pressure (fill pressure) to your gun.
To be able to determine how much air is in your SCBA you would need to put a dead head plug in the tank valve or at the quick connect on your fill line. Then slowly crack open the tank valve and let the pressure gauge show the tank pressure. Then close tank valve, bleed the air from the fill line and then remove the dead head plug.
The Brancato valve is of course more convenient to check tank pressure (if the gauge is accurate/trustworty, mine isn’t). I plan to change the tank pressure gauge the next time I do a visual on the tank interior.
Maybe post a picture of your set up.
Feel free to PM me.
Randy