• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New to Diopter Sights

Hello everyone, new to this sight and to this site. Here is what's going on.
I recently purchased a used gun and it arrived with this Diopter sight.
PY-A-3191_Air-Venturi-Rear-Sight_1638208806.jpg

It also came with a front to match. When I look through the rear without focusing my eye I can see this image clear as day.
dio2.jpg

However as soon as I focus through the sight I loose the lines and the dot is blurred grey (still visible though), now I'm assuming that I should center up the rear dot through the front sight.. if that makes sense? I tried at 5/10/20 yards but still as soon as I look past about 5 ft. it becomes fuzzy. I didn't find any type of "optic" adjustments, just eliv. and wind.

So I was wondering if it's "just the way things are" or if I'm missing something?

Reactions: pdxFrank
not the best sight-picture of the peep, but best i can do with an iphone. :)

10mairriflepeepsight001.jpg

it's the target you want in focus, with the "rings" evenly-spaced, with equal but minimal light around the edges.
peepsightalignment.jpg

From what I understand, the diopter is used mostly for 10M competition shooting.

I just shoot paper, 25Y benchrest #backyardplinking. Diopter sights are my favorite and used in about 90% of my shooting now-a-days.
diana350ammotestaug2022b.jpg

daisy753julytest004.jpg

diana350mag_may2022_005.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Fixedflinger
not the best sight-picture of the peep, but best i can do with an iphone. :)

View attachment 285375

it's the target you want in focus, with the "rings" evenly-spaced, with equal but minimal light around the edges.
View attachment 285380

From what I understand, the diopter is used mostly for 10M competition shooting.

I just shoot paper, 25Y benchrest #backyardplinking. Diopter sights are my favorite and used in about 90% of my shooting now-a-days.
View attachment 285376

View attachment 285377

View attachment 285378
Thank you.The chart in the middle made me realize that I'm not treating this like open sights but more like a scope. I need to get back into "iron mode" LOL.

Also I just played around with it some more and found it helps if I back my eye away from the sight more.

Last edited:
Actually using the dual diopter set up, I can plink very well out to 30-40 yards, about the limit of my yard. Just center my target in the front diopter and shoot. I actually have an old military rifle, Swedish Mauser set up with sights like that , the factory rear replaced with a peep sight, not the best distance but still better than that little notch rear sight for my old eyes and a diopter for the front. Works good. all you concentrate is the target, looking through both diopters.

On the subject of diopter sights...
I purchased a diopter rear sight sight for my HW35E.
I have not been able to find any clarification for the markings on the elevation and windage knobs.
Elevation clockwise is marked "H" and counterclockwise is marked "T".
Windage clockwise is marked "R" and counterclockwise is marked "L".
As far as I have been able to determine, "R" is "rechte" or RIGHT, and "L" is "linke" or LEFT.
But I cannot determine what "H" or "T" are supposed to mean.
One more point I'd like to clear up before wasting a lot of time and ammo...
Does turning the knob "L" (or what is perceived to be left) move the point-of-impact to the left?

Is there a good reference article for using diopter sights?

H is for Hoch (up), and T is for Tief (down).

You might find this helpful, I did. PDF warning:
Thanks pdxFrank!
I had an inkling that T could be "Tiefer", as it was the only German word in the online translator that began with a T when I entered "Lower or down".
But "raise" "up" and "down" all listed German words beginning with H.

I have some German ancestry, but like most Americans, I have no foreign language skills.

I know this thread is a little dated, but is the closest one I found that involves my question. I was given an Anschutz Super Air 2002, without sights. I found the correct sights, from Anschutz...set 6834...

The only experience I have with "similar" sights is using the M16 in the USMC. So, here is my question...do I need a smaller aperture for close in shots (10 to 30 meters) and a larger aperture for longer range shots? The 6834 sight set does not appear to have an adjustable aperture. Anschutz offers an adjustable iris, for about $64.

Is that something that I need?

I know this thread is a little dated, but is the closest one I found that involves my question. I was given an Anschutz Super Air 2002, without sights. I found the correct sights, from Anschutz...set 6834...

The only experience I have with "similar" sights is using the M16 in the USMC. So, here is my question...do I need a smaller aperture for close in shots (10 to 30 meters) and a larger aperture for longer range shots? The 6834 sight set does not appear to have an adjustable aperture. Anschutz offers an adjustable iris, for about $64.

Is that something that I need?
The diopter iris acts as a pin-hole lens (google pin-hole camera for example). At very small size depth of field approaches the infinite. I have an adjustable iris. Enlarging the iris allows more light to brighten the image, but at cost of depth of field. At smaller iris settings the front aperture ring and target will be in sharp focus, what you ideally want. At larger diameters maybe just one or the other.

For longer ranges smaller iris, greater depth of field, would be better.

I had to stop using the diopter sight as I am developing cataracts. The ability of the diopter to bring everything into sharp focus also sharpens what’s behind the sight making the small cataracts appear as a gray lint ball floating in center of diopter. Used adjustable iris in failed attempt to compensate. Found a scope with reticle that creates same sight image as diopter and front ring aperture so using that now instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kilmouski