New to breakbarrels

After sticking to PCPs ever since my plinking hobby started, I finally went out and purchased a breakbarrel! I went with the Gamo Swarm Magnum Gen2 (.22) because of it's power, and of course it's main selling point: feeding pellets from a mag.
GamoSwarm_ProductCard.jpg

I shot my first groups today and holy cow this takes some getting used to! The recoil for one, and having to reset my shooting position after every shot. I absolutely loved it though! Not needing to refill and carry airtanks around is a godsent, and has really upped my time spent at the range by at least an hour, haha. Cocking the rifle after every shot is also a nice free workout ;)

That said, any tips for a breakbarrel newcomer? Do's and don'ts, technique, accessories, ammo? For example, any decent scopes that are affordable yet effective for beginners? I currently have a very basic Gamo scope that came with the rifle, but I'm definitely planning to replace it, as this particular one has a fixed magnification. Other than that I'm just figuring stuff out as I go along I guess.

Odd, your picture shows the common 3x9 package scope on it.

My gamo whisper fusion mach1 been pretty much just go shoot it. Been near maintenance free for years now . I took it apart once a year ago just to do it figuring do a clean / inspect the guts but looked ok . Now 2 more years id like to get a new seal, but gamo..lol. No dice.

I guess it's going on it's 5th year now and i pound the pellets with it so.... I assume that should do you good..

Odd, your picture shows the common 3x9 package scope on it.

My gamo whisper fusion mach1 been pretty much just go shoot it. Been near maintenance free for years now . I took it apart once a year ago just to do it figuring do a clean / inspect the guts but looked ok . Now 2 more years id like to get a new seal, but gamo..lol. No dice.

I guess it's going on it's 5th year now and i pound the pellets with it so.... I assume that should do you good..
Oh yeah that's just a product picture I pulled off the web real quick. I wasn't in the position to photograph my own 😅
The only issue I've encountered so far is that the auto feed is apparantly a bit picky about certain ammo. Ironically enough, Gamo's own Pro Magnum rounds wouldn't feed properly. But after I switched to H&N Baracudas it worked like a charm. Not a single hangup. You can't go wrong with Baracudas.

Oh yeah that's just a product picture I pulled off the web real quick. I wasn't in the position to photograph my own 😅
The only issue I've encountered so far is that the auto feed is apparantly a bit picky about certain ammo. Ironically enough, Gamo's own Pro Magnum rounds wouldn't feed properly. But after I switched to H&N Baracudas it worked like a charm. Not a single hangup. You can't go wrong with Baracudas.
Ive read that on a few on the mag feeding certain pellets.. just find the ones that work is all..

OK, if you will forgive the grumpy old nitpicker here - more and more, I'm seeing the term "break barrel" used to refer to ALL spring-piston airguns.

Please understand those are different terms. "Spring-piston" refers to the type of powerplant; "break-barrel" refers to only one of many cocking systems used in those guns (those where the barrel doubles as the cocking lever, obviously). All springers share certain shooting characteristics, which are equally applicable to those with break-barrel, underlever, overlever, sidelever, or other cocking systems.

To put it another way - most break-barrels are springers, but not all springers are break-barrels!

Thank you, and I'll show myself out now...

After sticking to PCPs ever since my plinking hobby started, I finally went out and purchased a breakbarrel! I went with the Gamo Swarm Magnum Gen2 (.22) because of it's power, and of course it's main selling point: feeding pellets from a mag.
GamoSwarm_ProductCard.jpg

I shot my first groups today and holy cow this takes some getting used to! The recoil for one, and having to reset my shooting position after every shot. I absolutely loved it though! Not needing to refill and carry airtanks around is a godsent, and has really upped my time spent at the range by at least an hour, haha. Cocking the rifle after every shot is also a nice free workout ;)

That said, any tips for a breakbarrel newcomer? Do's and don'ts, technique, accessories, ammo? For example, any decent scopes that are affordable yet effective for beginners? I currently have a very basic Gamo scope that came with the rifle, but I'm definitely planning to replace it, as this particular one has a fixed magnification. Other than that I'm just figuring stuff out as I go along I guess.
I don't own any Gamo, but I mainly shoot only springers. So I did some search to look at accuracy for this particular model. I was pleasantly surprise.

gamo swamp magnum gen 2 accuracy test

A lot of good information from previous posts. If you watch the video carefully, rifle placement, hold consistency and trigger control are what you need to focus on. (if not, as you can see in the 50 yard accuracy test...you may get vertical stringing and/or other fliers).

Google search is your friend on how to shoot springers. There are some good information out there...including this one below...Kinda long but there are some consistent threads/recommendations in there.

Good luck and have fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: DonEnzone
I don't own any Gamo, but I mainly shoot only springers. So I did some search to look at accuracy for this particular model. I was pleasantly surprise.

gamo swamp magnum gen 2 accuracy test

A lot of good information from previous posts. If you watch the video carefully, rifle placement, hold consistency and trigger control are what you need to focus on. (if not, as you can see in the 50 yard accuracy test...you may get vertical stringing and/or other fliers).

Google search is your friend on how to shoot springers. There are some good information out there...including this one below...Kinda long but there are some consistent threads/recommendations in there.

Good luck and have fun.
Much appreciated! Glad to hear that this model performs well. Google is indeed your best friend.

OK, if you will forgive the grumpy old nitpicker here - more and more, I'm seeing the term "break barrel" used to refer to ALL spring-piston airguns.

Please understand those are different terms. "Spring-piston" refers to the type of powerplant; "break-barrel" refers to only one of many cocking systems used in those guns (those where the barrel doubles as the cocking lever, obviously). All springers share certain shooting characteristics, which are equally applicable to those with break-barrel, underlever, overlever, sidelever, or other cocking systems.

To put it another way - most break-barrels are springers, but not all springers are break-barrels!

Thank you, and I'll show myself out now...
No worries, any info is more than welcome! I used to call them by their Dutch name "knikloop", which is the equivilant of breakbarrel. But I do indeed realize that "springer" is the overarching term to use.

No worries, any info is more than welcome! I used to call them by their Dutch name "knikloop", which is the equivilant of breakbarrel. But I do indeed realize that "springer" is the overarching term to use.
And then, here's what's so frustrating about springers...especially MAGNUM springers
Here's another video...different reviewer...a bit different experience...and larger groups (could be due to shooter's ability, technique, the gun, the scope, the pellet ...etc)

exact same review in AG...he did say he typically do not shoot MAGNUM springers.

Don ...you might need to be the tie breaker in this, let us know you accuracy experience with your Gamo.

Last edited:
Reactions: DonEnzone
And then, here's what's so frustrating about springers...especially MAGNUM springers
Here's another video...different reviewer...a bit different experience...and larger groups (could be due to shooter's ability, technique, the gun, the scope, the pellet ...etc)

exact same review in AG...he did say he typically do not shoot MAGNUM springers.

Don ...you might need to be the tie breaker in this, let us know you accuracy experience with your Gamo.
The gen 3i they claim the better mag feed that dont damage the pellets when loading.. bit i also think its finding the best pellet that works in the loader . Even pcp guys run in to that.

I do find what he said about the gamo swarm pellets not working out ..

Then I'd try cphp and see right off being a harder pellet and may get great results .

Will do!

I do appreciate his honestly, especially since the gun was sent to him, which can sometimes cloud judgement. I definitely agree that the scope is not impressive in the slightest. It really feels like an afterthought they just slapped in there (perhaps to justify the price?). That said, my garden doesn't go beyond 25 yards, so it does the job just fine there. We'll see how it performs at 50+ when I take it to the range downtown :)