New to Big Bores

Hello, first post here! I just purchased a Hatsan Piledriver in .457 cal. and I was looking for some suggestions. On my initial test shot, with a DonnieFL moderator, using Hunter's supply 350gr flatpoints at about 250 bar, I noticed a significant amount of lead flecks inside the moderator. 

I decided to measure the diameter of the ammo and noticed the pellets are .454, not .457 so I'm assuming my issue is due to the diameter being slightly undersized and maybe the pellets are not fully engaging the lands. Interestingly, the Hatsan Vortex 520 grain pellets advertise .454 cal but their description says "The Hatsan Vortex Supreme Air Gun Pellets are a hard hitting round for the Hatsan PileDriver air rifle." implying they're a good round to use in the .457 PileDriver barrel. 

Should I be using any sort of lube on my pellets to prevent them breaking up inside the barrel? Assuming the 700ft/lbs figures are true, I'd estimate the rifle could be pushing the 350 grain pellets to ~950FPS. I have read that pellets in PCP guns running over 900FPS could potentially benefit from lubing. 

Is this purely a sizing issue, or is there a way to reliably run the .454's without getting a ton of lead flecks breaking off the projectiles?
Could this potentially get better/worse with different fill pressure? 

.457-.458 pellets are on the shopping list currently. 

Thanks for any input! 

Normally Donnie will counsel you to go up one size on your moderator. So for instance you would put a .25 suppressor on a .22 Huntsman. It's just really hard to get a perfect match. I'm wondering if the suppressor is not perfectly centered with the barrel. BTW, this isn't unique to Donnie. IMHO he makes perhaps the best on the market and unmatched support. I would go up a size with anyone's. 

Thanks MacGyver! The moderator is apparently intended for .457 and .510 cal so with my rifle being .457, I assume it's already sized up. It's definitely possible the suppressor was not centered. I went back and re-torqued the allen screws just to be sure.

It might also be worth noting I was running Donnie's extension, and it seems like most of the lead flecks blew into the extension chamber, and not into the baffling in the moderator. I checked the baffles and I didnt see any obvious signs of a pellet striking any of them. This lead me to believe that the lead was sheering off in the barrel itself, but I could definitely be wrong.

Thanks again for the input! 

Good to know. I'm running the DonnyFL with the extension on my Western Bushbuck. I'll take a look at the extension when I get over there and see if I see any similar behavior.

That said, when I put the adapter on my Bushbuck, it was SO tight I was a bit concerned and called Donny to make sure I got the right adapter. He offered to send me another one at no charge, but said it just had to do with the amount of finish on the barrel and adapter, but that the tighter the better to make sure it's true. I literally had to use a wooden block and a mallet to drive that thing on there ten hits at a time. I bet it easily took 200-300 hits before it finally bottomed out on the barrel it was so tight.

That said, when I put the adapter on my Bushbuck, it was SO tight I was a bit concerned and called Donny to make sure I got the right adapter. He offered to send me another one at no charge, but said it just had to do with the amount of finish on the barrel and adapter, but that the tighter the better to make sure it's true. I literally had to use a wooden block and a mallet to drive that thing on there ten hits at a time. I bet it easily took 200-300 hits before it finally bottomed out on the barrel it was so tight.

Next time heat the adapter in the oven 400-450 degrees. Put the muzzle in ice water. Once cold and hot be quick and they will slide right together.

Next time heat the adapter in the oven 400-450 degrees. Put the muzzle in ice water. Once cold and hot be quick and they will slide right together.

*Hangs head in disgrace* I'm so ashamed. LOL

I did consider something similar once I had started, but I was afraid of messing up the adapter trying to remove it. You can bet I will look at that next time. Thanks.

To the O.P., I just looked in mine. I'm using the Emperor on the end of the expansion tube and seeing very little debris inside.

I just spoke w Donny today about the Emp w ext on my Piledriver 457. He recommends a thin coat of loctite (blue) on the barrel, let sit overnight. The extension goes closest to the barrel. Hands down one of the best support and service, although Tim Hill is awesome too! 

I agree with the above response about undersized being the issue.

Neilson is by far the best IMO, although I have not tried Mr.Hollowpoint. Personally I think swag is better than cast. That statement could open up some debates, not the point, just my opinion. 

It you like to shoot start casting . Its not that hard or expensive. Lee makes .457 molds for $25.00. A 20lb lee lead pot $80.00 A lead thermometer $25.00 and your are ready. Pure lead I buy is a dollar a pound at the junk yard. $25 for the Lee .457sizing kit. I shoot cast powder coat .510 slugs that are really accurate. If you mess up a slug melt it and try again. 

It you like to shoot start casting . Its not that hard or expensive. Lee makes .457 molds for $25.00. A 20lb lee lead pot $80.00 A lead thermometer $25.00 and your are ready. Pure lead I buy is a dollar a pound at the junk yard. $25 for the Lee .457sizing kit. I shoot cast powder coat .510 slugs that are really accurate. If you mess up a slug melt it and try again.

Best advice for anyone with a big bore. Does anyone really want to pay $1.25 per shot. I guess if you hunt and don't shoot that often, Mr. Hollowpoint is a great option, but his ammo will get expensive (still better than a lot of firearms ammo right now).

Best advice for anyone with a big bore. Does anyone really want to pay $1.25 per shot. I guess if you hunt and don't shoot that often, Mr. Hollowpoint is a great option, but his ammo will get expensive (still better than a lot of firearms ammo right now).
I've wanted to get into this, but the ammo prices have kept me away. I like the idea of casting my own projectiles. Never even thought of that. Thanks for this!!!

Yep... My .357 costs are around 7 cents and about 10 cents for .457

20220305_101036.jpg

Reactions: IndyDurtdigger