• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New to Bench rest. What kind of rest is best ?

I shot a "very respectable" 247 in my 1st (& only) 25 meter competition using a $10 bag in back & a $50 bipod. Depends more on the shooter's capabilities than expensive rests IMHO.
20201115_123919.1621007817.jpg

Gerry makes a great point. You will not likely shoot better scores with a rest....but it will be far more convenient to have one. This is something that turns many shooters away because they erroneously believe that a good rest is going to add points to their score and is a necessity to be competitive. I thought the same thing back when I started. I was very disappointed when my scores didn’t go up.

Would I give up my rest now in favor of a few bags...no, I would not. It’s very much a convenience item....and one that I enjoy.

You do not need a rest to be competitive...but getting around the target hassle free is very nice.

Mike 

I want to add if you shoot or can go to local matches and look at what competitors are using, I had had a Farley coaxial rest loved it but would not cover the whole card at 25m with out moving my rear rest! I now have Randolph machine! That was the best I could afford after selling my Farley!

Benchrest central is a good place to look for a used rest.

After trying a friends CoAxial rest, I can not switch back for score shooting. for group shooting (which we don't do in pneumatics) a Coax rest is not needed... I have a few good standard rests, a customized Hart that I rebuilt, and a JJ Loh. but the CoAxial that I like is the Seb NEO. A good, solid functional rest that won't loosen up on you is the key here... older Bald Eagle rests made by Bill Gephart were good... the new Bald Eagle is a cheap knock off after buying the name from Bill... buyer beware.

I just got a spot to this my gun club - finally a month ago, many shooting ranges everywhere a big lineup but a 22LR lane (20-40-60-80-100 meters) is most of the time empty. So I got my "private" corner there.

I started with a tripod+levelling head at front and a 1.0" travel monopod at the rear, works pretty much OK covering the elevation either from 60 to 100, and 20 to 60, but if I want to play all the distances I don't have that equipment (front/rear rests), I am looking around how could I solve it without using a bipod (I just hate that thingy after I tried a tripod).