New to Airguns

A good hand pump will run $200 or more, and for me hand pumping took all the fun out of shooting. I second getting a compressor instead of a hand pump. It's only $75 more and will pay off quickly in fun. I have a hand pump and a Yong Heng, the only thing the hand pump gets used for is my pistol, which only takes about 30 strokes to fill. The Marauder takes around 100 strokes and when you get over 2500 PSI, it takes real effort.

If you want to just shoot, the gun, scope, rings, compressor will get you started. Eventually you'll want an air tank so you can leave the compressor at home. Chronograph if you want to tun your gun. Lots and lots of lead. Don't forget to order a couple tins of pellets, 2,000 rounds go fast when you can just plink all day.

I have a 10 year old Marauder, shoots extremely well. I would advise looking at the Avenger though if you haven't already purchased. The Avenger is regulated, I know that probably doesn't mean anything, but it is an advantage over the unregulated Marauder. My Marauder from the factory gave about 30 shots per fill. I added a regulator and some other items and got efficiency up to about 50 shots per fill. I received the Avenger about 3 weeks ago, don't have much experience with it yet, but can already see it'll give me more shots by far.

On the rings, check the gun you buy. My Marauder has 11mm Dovetail mounts, some of the newer models might have Picatinny rails, which take different rings. The Avenger can take either.

No wrong decisions, eventually, just get the purchase made and you can get to shooting. And, saving for the next gun, scope, pile of pellets, compressor, chronograph, case, range bag, bags, bipod, , . . . . . . . . . . . .I think you get the message. . . . . .

Really good input for you here. 

Your first rifle is a very good starting point. Cal? My marauder (.177) likes the crosman premier pellets. Try those and a couple others to see what works for you.

As a suggestion don't use centerfire cleaning attachments for your air rifle. 

Start with a Yong Heng compressor and take up elh0102 offer on the hill pump as a backup. It is noisy so be prepared to move it away from the baby. Nothing worse then having your air rifles sitting around not being able to use them.... like me.

If in doubt ask questions. Save ya time and $$$.

Good luck!

Thank you all for the suggestions. I already ordered the .177 marauder, had cabelas price match Walmart for $400. I ordered the inexpensive ebay hand pump so I can shoot right away when it gets here but I will probably add an electric pump in the future, I have 160 acres and no super close neighbors so I can set up a small range just outside the house.

I'll re read all the suggestions in the coming weeks and I'm sure everything will be much clearer once I have a bit of experience. Thanks to everyone who took time to reply.

Hello all,

I'm basically completely new to Airguns. I recently ordered a Benjamin Marauder and plan to order a Hill Mark V pump to fill it with…
Besides the Pump and scope/rings and some Pellets is there anything else I should get ordered?

I mostly plan on using the gun for starlings/sparrows/red squirrels etc. As more houses are built around… It suppose it depends on how terrible hand pumping turns out to be, I may have to steal one of the my cousins scuba tanks... 

Welcome to the hobby/sport of air gunning. Some suggestions. Some basic tools like Allen wrenches and basic cleaning kit (pull-throughs like PatchWorm or Crown Saver will do) as @Gerry52 suggested. You may wish to explore tripods, bipods, and shooting sticks as rests while out shooting at pest animals. An appropriate sized pack of cotton patches, Ballistol oil, silicone grease to lubricarte o-rings (Trident brand works well), and appropriate sized o-rings needed to repair leaky seals around your airgun, regulator (if it has one), and hand pump, a brass pick set to remove and replace o-rings, a torque wrench (like a FAT Wrench or Fix-It Stix), and a rifle bag or hard case for transportation and storage, scope caps. A SCBA tank is also a good idea. They are generally lighter and can safely contain greater air pressure than SCUBA tanks.

Welcome to the forum. many great responses on your question. this quote is a good list of things needed. Don't get too much into the money pit side, just go out and enjoy your new hobby. I would add a range finder to the list of items needed, and a scope that can focus down to 10-20 yards.as Martin 3528 pointed out.

keep us posted on your adventure. TODD

Finally got everything together and started shooting. I had an old simmons whitetail classic scope which focuses close so I put that on, i have high rings but the scope barley touches the barrel, ill need to get extra highs. Im getting fliers but im not sure if its ammo or the scope touching the barrel shroud. I have 4 types of pellets, one tin is garbage the other 3 are okay but not great. Think it may be ammo or the scope touching?
20220319_151729.1647721289.jpg
Er