New to airguns

Welcome Eric! This is a fun and really helpful forum. I started out with a .25 marauder and a hand pump, it’s hard to pump but with the right technique you can do it. I’m remembering around 60 or 70 pump strokes to top off the marauder, giving around 30 good shots, hopefully I remember correctly. And I was very impressed with the accuracy of the marauder too. As well as the trigger and how quiet it was. Thirty fun powerful accurate shots is definitely worth the 70 pump strokes lol! Have fun and keep us posted on your choice of gun…or should I say guns because you are definitely about to get bit by the airgun bug.

Oh yeah, the Benjamin mrod is a great gun, I have one in .177 and it's fun to shoot. I bought an Air Venturi Portable 4500 compressor to air it up and the little compressor does a great job (on my other PCPs, too - I used a hand pump once, and that was enough for me). I have a chronograph and like to run ran numbers as I shot my air guns

While shooting .177 Crosman Premier Ultra Magnum, 10.5gr pellets, I got an average of 22.37 ft-lbs of energy - not bad at all.

My .22 FX Royal 400, while shooting H & N Sport Baracuda Match, 21.39gr pellets on high power got an average of 33.39 ft-lbs of energy

My .22 Daystate Wolverine R shooting H&N Sport Baracuda Match, 21.39 gr pellets only got 29.30 ft-lbs of energy.

And my .25 Daystate (High Power) Wolverine shooting JSB Exact King Heavy Diabolo, 33.95gr pellets at high power got 50.43 ft-lbs of energy.

Your seriously gonna recommend those high power rifles for paper and a squirrel out to 25 yards. Your gonna scare nubies off because of prices. Get him started cheap, get addicted, then the rabbit hole.

Well, i-cracker, I was trying to save him some time. I went the cheap route at first and thought I'd just save him the trouble of having a bunch of guns laying around that he didn't shoot anymore because he'd finally picked a "real' air gun - like an FX, Daystate, Brocock, etc. You reckon he doesn't know that this hobby will wreak havock on his wallet? :)

The paper target or the squirrel, when it is shot, doesnt know the difference between my fortitude, gauntlet, flash, marauders, or your "real" airgun. My inexpensive guns have not failed me yet. Have a great photo album to back it up. Im not saying your "real" airgun isnt sweet, im just saying that the wad of money spent is highly unnecessary. Heck, save some money on a less expensive rifle, then go take your wife out to eat, or buy a hooker, which ever suits you. 

I think if you are really into shooting, and Eric obviously is with suppressed rifles and loving to shoot pistols, then offering advice to buy a high end gun is probably doing him a favor because he’s going to end up with one eventually anyway lol! The first thing I thought when I saw how good the marauder shot was how much better does it get? And it gets way better that’s for sure! 

I think if you are really into shooting, and Eric obviously is with suppressed rifles and loving to shoot pistols, then offering advice to buy a high end gun is probably doing him a favor because he’s going to end up with one eventually anyway lol! The first thing I thought when I saw how good the marauder shot was how much better does it get? And it gets way better that’s for sure!

Agree.