• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New to airguns

Hey guys I am wanting to get into this. I have shot rifles and pistols for many years and love it. I have moved to a new house and I am able to shoot an air rifle. I need a fairly quiet gun if possible or need to be able to make it quiet. I have suppressors for my rifles but they are not quite quiet enough. I was hoping I could get into airguns and maybe that would be better. I had no idea there was such a huge range of airguns out there. I have not looked at them since I was a kid a Walmart. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks

Eric, welcome to AGN! This is a great place, the best IMHO, for airgun stuff on the net 

1st and foremost, do your due diligence before you send your money. There are scams upon scams upon scams that have taken many innocent guy's money. A good place to start is the vendor list that supports AGN. See the scrolling adds at the top of the page? Those guys paid to advertise here. They have been vetted to be reputable and they pay their hard earned money to support this forum. One hand helps the other... Good for everyone.

It's nice to have you with us.

pyramyd generally lists the sound level of guns in the specs .. that said, the tried and true marauder rifle is pretty quiet in stock form . .you pretty much hear the hammer and the pellet smack, which can be pretty loud on a juicy squirrel lol .. that said ive seen guys put a giant custom moderator on a .50 cal that makes it as quiet as a red ryder lol ..

Check out the leshiy 2 my personal favorite but there is generally a wait. Piece is incredible though. Accurate, semi auto, super compact, they’re developing a slug mag for it too. First pic is the Leshiy classic. Cool little single shot piece. Brian Edgun West purchased a few times from him always been solid. Happy shooting.
AE924882-FB23-4C8E-B4C3-F16E7115038A.1624061181.png

A1B65010-475F-46CC-BF57-A553D1171885.1624060919.jpeg
0508DB8C-6D10-4CBE-8D48-4FBAE33A5EA8.1624060919.jpeg

I think .22 would be a good caliber. I will mainly be shooting paper but maybe the occasional squirrel.

What do you in mnd, a PCP or a springer? The majority of my air rifles are .22s. When the bug first bit me, I went the expensive route and bought a .22 FX Royale 400 from AoA back in 2017. It was my first PCP and uses a lot of support stuff, so I also bought a 4500 HPA compressor and a 66 cu-ft SCBA tank. the 400 has taken a gazillion squirrels. The 400 has a built-in silencer at the end of its shroud, and does the trick for me - I live in the city and don't want a loud air rifle. All of my springers are louder that any of my PCPs - they also feel more violent on my cheek when I shoot them. The PCPs are really SMOOTH - and don't destroy scopes..

My other PCPs come without a built-in silencer, so I run DonnyFL silencers (TANTO and SUMO) on 'em and they are the best silencers I have found. I have guns in .177, .22 and .25. The .25 are by far my heaviest hitters. While the .22, with a head shot, can definitely kill a squirrel, my .25's are just plain devastating to one. Who'd ever think that being just .03 caliber larger would make such a difference? - but it does.

Most of my time is spent shooting spatter targets, but every now and then I'm able to draw down on a squirrel or a chipmunk. Especially, when a squirrel gets on a bird feeder and starts chewing away at the plastic. I get a great deal of pleasure from nailing a feeder chewer.

I reckon if I could only have one airgun, if would be a PCP in .25 caliber.

Yes I think I would like to get into a pcp after the little bit of research. They seem a little quieter. I am not trying to go really expensive to start off. I do realize that I may need to use a hand pump to save a little money. I am just trying to find a decently priced quiet airgun that I can shoot paper. I will not be shooting longer than 25 yards here at the house. 

Welcome Eric! This is a fun and really helpful forum. I started out with a .25 marauder and a hand pump, it’s hard to pump but with the right technique you can do it. I’m remembering around 60 or 70 pump strokes to top off the marauder, giving around 30 good shots, hopefully I remember correctly. And I was very impressed with the accuracy of the marauder too. As well as the trigger and how quiet it was. Thirty fun powerful accurate shots is definitely worth the 70 pump strokes lol! Have fun and keep us posted on your choice of gun…or should I say guns because you are definitely about to get bit by the airgun bug.

You dont need a Leshy, FX, Daystate, to enjoy this hobby. I run with a Benjamin Fortitude or my Gauntlet primarly. Both were 300 dollar guns. Also have my Marauders, 3 of them, they are awesome. Oh wait, 4 marauders, 1 of them is the Armada. The gamo urban is another excellent choice. I promise that i have just as much fun with my cheap to mid grade pcp's as those guys with the high dollar guns. You dont have to spend a bunch to have a bunch of fun. First focal plane scope is highly recommended when your ready for glass.

The hatsan flash is very reliable also. Have 2 of them. 

Welcome Eric! This is a fun and really helpful forum. I started out with a .25 marauder and a hand pump, it’s hard to pump but with the right technique you can do it. I’m remembering around 60 or 70 pump strokes to top off the marauder, giving around 30 good shots, hopefully I remember correctly. And I was very impressed with the accuracy of the marauder too. As well as the trigger and how quiet it was. Thirty fun powerful accurate shots is definitely worth the 70 pump strokes lol! Have fun and keep us posted on your choice of gun…or should I say guns because you are definitely about to get bit by the airgun bug.

Oh yeah, the Benjamin mrod is a great gun, I have one in .177 and it's fun to shoot. I bought an Air Venturi Portable 4500 compressor to air it up and the little compressor does a great job (on my other PCPs, too - I used a hand pump once, and that was enough for me). I have a chronograph and like to run numbers as I shot my air guns

While shooting .177 Crosman Premier Ultra Magnum, 10.5gr pellets, I got an average of 22.37 ft-lbs of energy - not bad at all.

My .22 FX Royal 400, while shooting H & N Sport Baracuda Match, 21.39gr pellets on high power got an average of 33.39 ft-lbs of energy

My .22 Daystate Wolverine R shooting H&N Sport Baracuda Match, 21.39 gr pellets only got 29.30 ft-lbs of energy.

And my .25 Daystate (High Power) Wolverine shooting JSB Exact King Heavy Diabolo, 33.95gr pellets at high power got 50.43 ft-lbs of energy.

Oh yeah, the Benjamin mrod is a great gun, I have one in .177 and it's fun to shoot. I bought an Air Venturi Portable 4500 compressor to air it up and the little compressor does a great job (on my other PCPs, too - I used a hand pump once, and that was enough for me). I have a chronograph and like to run ran numbers as I shot my air guns

While shooting .177 Crosman Premier Ultra Magnum, 10.5gr pellets, I got an average of 22.37 ft-lbs of energy - not bad at all.

My .22 FX Royal 400, while shooting H & N Sport Baracuda Match, 21.39gr pellets on high power got an average of 33.39 ft-lbs of energy

My .22 Daystate Wolverine R shooting H&N Sport Baracuda Match, 21.39 gr pellets only got 29.30 ft-lbs of energy.

And my .25 Daystate (High Power) Wolverine shooting JSB Exact King Heavy Diabolo, 33.95gr pellets at high power got 50.43 ft-lbs of energy.

Your seriously gonna recommend those high power rifles for paper and a squirrel out to 25 yards. Your gonna scare nubies off because of prices. Get him started cheap, get addicted, then the rabbit hole.

Oh yeah, the Benjamin mrod is a great gun, I have one in .177 and it's fun to shoot. I bought an Air Venturi Portable 4500 compressor to air it up and the little compressor does a great job (on my other PCPs, too - I used a hand pump once, and that was enough for me). I have a chronograph and like to run ran numbers as I shot my air guns

Your seriously gonna recommend those high power rifles for paper and a squirrel out to 25 yards. Your gonna scare nubies off because of prices. Get him started cheap, get addicted, then the rabbit hole.

Well, i-cracker, I was trying to save him some time. I went the cheap route at first and thought I'd just save him the trouble of having a bunch of guns laying around that he didn't shoot anymore because he'd finally picked a "real' air gun - like an FX, Daystate, Brocock, etc. You reckon he doesn't know that this hobby will wreak havock on his wallet? :)

But I failed to recommend the new Air Venturi Avenger. I have one in .25 and it's a great shooter. He may want to look at one in .22.