New to airguns. Need recommendations.

Hey all!

After some time spent reading posts on the forums (I couldn't find a search function), I figured I would ask for some help.

Looking for a very, very, very quiet airgun for pesting (squirrels, starlings, occasional raccoon) in a suburban neighborhood. Targets are within 30yds.

Budget is $750ish but willing to go higher.

I did see this recommendation in a previous post: https://www.pyramydair.com/s/pre_packaged_deals/Benjamin_Marauder_PCP_Air_Pistol/4738

The "Ultimate" package looked appealing but I would need to find a moderator for it to make it quiet, correct?

I'm new to PCP airguns as well. I have an emglo compressor similar to this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Emglo-Electric-Air-Compressor-DUAL-TANK-1-5-HP-125-PSI/164037731158?hash=item2631692356:g:HZIAAOSwvvJeI2Yt

Would that work? Do I need some special fittings or do I need a completely different compressor?

Located in NJ, Have FID. Have friend in PA. 😉

Thanks!

Compressor won’t work at all - you need 3k psi+ compressor for air rifles. If you want to handpump, save yourself some money and get a cheap $33 handpump from AliExpress. Mine works no problem and has the benefit of being ridiculously easy to disassemble and repair if something goes wrong. You will also need a filter - you can find those for $15-20 on AliExpress with free shipping too.

If you need something super quiet, I’d get a Marauder because from what I’ve heard they are super quiet. If not, you can always get a moderator. 

For $750 I would look at a used Daystate Huntsman maybe — doesn’t need to be regulated since the Harper system makes it pretty darn consistent (from what I’ve heard). If it comes with a hugger moderator it should be very quiet. If your willing to spend $1000, then I’d get that huntsman from AOA in a heart beat. 

Also get a .22, best balance of power to cost IMO.

If you want to be safe and spend $400 (AGN coupon on Crossmans website) , marauder is the best choice though. 

AK

Marauders are really quiet. 177 + 22. The 25 is kinda loud for backyard friendly. I have both the 22 and the 25. 

I've taken racoon with 22 but shot placement was key. I would not go 177, as that's too light for a coon.

25 would be ideal, but will leave a puff of feathers on impact the birds you speak of.

22 i can shoot in the backyard without causing issues. The 25 is a bit on the louder side. Unless you get a donnyfl and put that on the end. Then it should quiet it down . They have a shroud with baffles that keep it shhh..

I started with a maurader and it's been a good gun. 

You can hand pump it also. Just takes longer, but I started with a hand pump.

Or get a used 3000psi scuba tank and get it filled at a shop. Lots of air and no pumping. Just need the right fittings to fill your airgun.

Investing in a compressor is going to be much more expensive than your 750 budget. Unless you find a yong heng for super cheap. 2-300 when they used to be cheaper... 

If you want to save some cash, start browsing the classified. You can find some good deals and save you some cash especially at the beginning.

I’ve got everything you can think of air gun related and two of most of it. Your asking for VERY VERY VERY quiet. That’s so subjective. It makes it hard to give advice on that aspect of it. If I was brand new at this I’d go to AIR GUNS OF ARIZONA talk to the sells guys and get their advice. My suggestion is to go simple. Buy a HW urban pro from AOA I’d not go PCP first off. Get a GOOD spring gun try that and it likely will do everything you are wanting to do for $500. Keep it simple .

Occasional RACOON... You need AT LEAST a 22 Benjamin Maximus or a 22 Maximus HUNTER direct from CROSMAN.com usec25% AGN discount code then hit him in the right spot lights out. Get a TKO silencer specific to your gun or pay double to triple for a bigger one. Not Very Very Very quiet but Very quiet. Probably quiet enough to not alert the neighbors since the sound on impact will be louder unless you want to spend excess of $200 on up in order to made it absolutely positively quietest as it can be. Get a cheap $29.50 Chinese pump and a good $60-$90 filter and you're all set just buy a decent scope and rings even the cheap $80 Wal-Mart Centerpoint with adjustable objective would do. Pumping a Maximus is a piece of cake only 2000psi shoot 20-25 shots then pump it again. Probably even shoot them cheap CROSMAN Premier Hollow Points from Wal-Mart good too. With the right pellet and conditions you should expect about an inch or less at 50 yards with the Maximus. Trigger upgrade ASK HERE after you buy it. NO sense discussing that until you get it. Yo!

Thanks for the advice, all.

I see lots of recommendations for used Daystars but where other than these classifieds, can I find one?

I checked out airguns.net but I'm a bit leery of spending that money on essentially a Craigslist for airguns.

Airguns of Arizona *here’s the used section. You can also keep an eye on the classifieds section here, or even place a Wanted Ad whenever you know what you want.

https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/usedguns.html

Compressor, probably not - it puts out around 150 PSI. You need 3000 PSI minimum for a PCP, except for the Benjamin Maximus that only needs 2000 PSI.

Target at 30 yards. Little plinking, lots of inexpensive options. I started with the Marauder, and still recommend it. It's got a good combination of decent trigger, tunability, lots of people know the gun and it's accurate. It can be hand pumped with a PCP pump. Marauder sets the standard for quiet. Mine is about 78 DB.

Another option is the Fortitude. It's got limited tuning so you can tune it down, fully shrouded like the Marauder and can be hand pumped. Trigger is heavy, but otherwise, pretty good gun.

Not a fan of anything Umerax like the Gauntlet. Too many stories about broken parts on arrival. 

Now, for air advice. I started with a pump. That didn't last long. Immediately bought a 90 cubic inch tank and fill station. Got it filled at the local paintball shop. Really improved shooting fun. Lots more shooting with lots less effort. I'm old and suffer from MD, so lots of physical exercise really ruins the sport for me.

There's a compressor on eBay called a yong Heng. I have one, it works, but you still need tanks to make it worth while.

Marauder rifles are around $525, Hill Pump is $200. Small Tanks are $350 to $400 and compressors start at $300. It's an expensive hobby, and this is probably only the start. My next gun was an Impact. Boy, is it fun!

I think the Umarex Gaunlet would be a good starter pcp rifle. It is regulated for consistent shot to shot fps, offers a good shot count per fill and there are aftermarket upgrades that would allow to improve it's performance in time if you like. I too have used hand pumps in the past but pumping and shooting if you do a lot of plinking or target practice gets old and will take away from the fun of shooting. May I suggest one of the "LIfe Extended" 66 cu. ft.carbon fiber tanks that fill to 4500 psi. Pyramid Air is selling them for $435 with a remaining life of 11 years. Of course you need to find a scuba shop that will fill the tank but with that size tank you will get about 39 fills of your air rifle before having to take the tank back to the scuba shop. Also know a regular scuba tank that only fills to 3000 psi will only allow you to fill the rifle once to maximum pressure then you are on the down hill slide for every fill after that. Bill