• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New to Airguns, need advice on first purchase.

Save some of that money to get a pump. Air is free, compressed air is expensive.

Don't worry too much about getting a "regulated" gun.

Every Tom Dick and Harry have their own likes and dislikes. Some will tell you that Brand X is best because Y.

I suggest you read everything you can for at least a month - get familiar with the terminology. Try to get hands on any local airgun you can.

Welcome to AGN - this is a great place to find out about the sport.

Please fill out the location tab on your profile - we will be able to give you more localized advice when we know what part of the world you live in.

For that money, and a strictly hunting gun, I'd be inclined to say something like a Daystate Revere. Simple, lightweight, and reliable. 

My preference "for me" is the Weihrauch HW100. They have the best trigger and magazine system out there bar none. But, the shot count isn't great at our high power levels here. But turned down a bit, which is absolutely fine for real hunting ranges the shot count is much better and you won't find another gun thats smoother and slicker to operate.

There are my recommendations from this Tom, Dick, or Harry. 

As others have mentioned, and I'd like to reiterate, get your air situation handled first off. Because having a top-shelf gun you can't shoot due to air issues is the worst thing ever. The two guns above have small cylinders and aren't particularly air hungry like some higher powered guns. So they are more friendly to a limited air supply. 

So many choices, and a lot depends on your specific priorities, such, as: weight, length, shot count, power. I assume you will be hunting or pesting small game, let's say squirrels. I have the Taipan Veteran and HW 100, and both are great rifles. The Veteran is a bit more powerful, a significantly higher shot count, and built like a tank. They are both heavy, over 10 pounds with scope. If you need something lighter, the Daystate Revere or FX Royale 400 would be good choices. I would suggest avoiding the newer FX platforms, for several reasons, but basically I don't think they are the best choice for a first-time PCP owner. 

AA 510 Carbine

PY-2497_Air-Arms-S510-Xtra_1557327898.jpg
PY-2497_Air-Arms-S510-Xtra_1557327889.jpg
Air Arms S510XS FAC Regulated PCP Carbine with Walnut Stock (pyramydair.com)

+1

Tx200 or HW97

Don't think he's looking for spring guns.

Well, he said he was looking for a airgun... and advice...

For $1300, he can get

• any of the best springer, along with decent optic/mount.
  • Not have to worry about pump/compressor/bottle
  • Constant velocity, whether it is his first/10/50/100th shot of that day

Or he can PCP

• Spend a chunk of his budget on a pump... or half (or all of it) on a compressor
  • If he gets a non-regulated gun, he'll have to learn the power curve and remember where he's at
  • Depending if he's a tinkerer, dealing with various o-rings/leaks might be a source of entertainment... or aggravation 

Just my 2 cents 😉

Just recently received a 22 Benjamin Kratos first impression it's very nice balances well and accurate and compliments my Benjamin Akela bullpup. They can be purchased for around $500-$600 price point using the AGNATIIN discount code for 25% off.

Their 5 year warranty is hard to beat and no regulators to give problems or require servicing sooner or later. They shoot pretty darn consistently from start to finish.

Also got another 22 Benjamin Maximus only 2000psi required to fill easy to hand pump no compressor needed.

Wow, thanks everyone for your responses so far. I guess I should clarify a few things. First I'm in California. Second $1300 is set aside for the gun alone, so the compressor has it's own budget. I would like a gun that is quiet and accurate up to 75 yards for small game hunting. PCP guns are what I'm looking for since a nice springer is next after this. Again thanks for all your help!!

AA510 Carbine, or daystate huntsman revere would be at the top of my list for overall ruggedness, accuracy, and reliability.

But that's just because I prefer a traditional rifle format. 

If you want a bullpup, look at a taipan veteran. 

My favorite is my fx crown, but it's tradeoff is a little ruggedness in exchange for extreme accuracy, and a ton of adjustability/flexibility. 

The FX Dreamline Classic in synthetic with moderator fits within your budget. For 75 yard critters, I'd go for the .25 cal for more downrange retained energy, but the .22 will do around 30 to 32 FPE unmolested. I have shot a number of squirrels at 80 yards with 31 FPE using my .22 Marauder with little trouble, but needed a better scope for comfort shooting at that range. My .25 Marauder does a much better job though at that range with same targets and better scope. Dead is dead though.

Wow, thanks everyone for your responses so far. I guess I should clarify a few things. First I'm in California. Second $1300 is set aside for the gun alone, so the compressor has it's own budget.

Ok, if you have a separate budget for the "air", is it safe to assume you have a separate budget for the scope/rings?

• If so, my vote would go toward a used Steyr Hunting5
      • Any airgun powerful enough to take small games, could benefit from a moderator.
  • Personally, I don't think I'd take a shot at a small game @ 75 yards with a 22 airgun... than again, I wouldn't shoot a hare past 50y with a 22lr. To me 75y is Hornet territory.