New to Airguns and Loving It!

My wife and I were sitting in our yard the other day bird watching when she remarked, "Ugh, another damn squirrel!" I told her I could probably take care of them if I got a pellet gun. To my surprise she agreed and before she could change her mind I was on Amazon. With my finger hovering over the "BUY NOW" button I asked if she meant it. "Yes". Click.

A few days later a Gamo .177 break barrel showed up long with some pellets and targets. I measured out 25 yards in the back yard and began plinking away. I struggled with accuracy and waited until I felt I was somewhat consistent with shot placement before adjusting the scope. Even then my groups were huge. I watched countless videos, that's how I found this place, and changed ammo to Crossman hollow points. Now my groupings were much tighter, but still not spectacular, but at least I was able to adjust the scope, and I can hit Coke cans at 20 yards with consistency.

Now when I get a hobby that interests me, I usually get into them pretty seriously. As I type this I am awaiting an order from Pyramid Air, a Gamo Urban .22 PCP, scope, pump, and ammo. I also have my eye on a BSA R10 SE and a compressor. That will have to wait a little while as I just put a supercharger on my Miata so the finances have to recover a bit from that!

Oh and those squirrels? Well I have hit a few at about 25+ yards, and one quite a bit closer but so far the .177 only seems to sting them. The one I hit closer I am calling "The Grey Ghost" as I hit him not once, but twice, watched him crawl along the ground to a stump and plain disappear!

Anyhow, just wanted to say "Hi" and love reading all the great info on the site.

Cheers!

Not new to air but no expert 

I cut my reply short so, I I'm using he xman hollow points about all you can get around here without ordering.

Not using the scope open site for now for at least first 1000 rounds

I got my range set up at a 60 foot and 120.

Just getting sites tuned in and consistent with my 60 year old eyes without using my reader glasses everything at arm's length is a blur. Open sites is a challenge. lol... But there falling in place grouping wise. .

You see all the gamo horror stories so?? Maybe no lemon here so far.

Not new to air but no expert 

I cut my reply short so, I I'm using he xman hollow points about all you can get around here without ordering.

Not using the scope open site for now for at least first 1000 rounds

I got my range set up at a 60 foot and 120.

Just getting sites tuned in and consistent with my 60 year old eyes without using my reader glasses everything at arm's length is a blur. Open sites is a challenge. lol... But there falling in place grouping wise. .

You see all the gamo horror stories so?? Maybe no lemon here so far.

I have seen the horror stories, but the Urban seemed to get good reviews so I thought I would try it. If I end up liking it more than I already like plinking with the .177 then I will take the plunge for the BSA R10. I am fortunate enough to have 3 acres backed by dense woods so I set up a 25 and 50 yard "range". I'm in my early 50's so my eyes aren't what they used to be either!

c_m, I know what you mean. I decided to leave them be until I can be more consistent. I don't like the idea of wounding them so they get a reprieve for now.

I know nothing about gamo rifles other then having shot one my friend owns. Pretty heavy recoil and an absolutely terrible trigger. Gamo springer of some type. The PCP may help you 

This air gun stuff starts out innocently enough be careful it can get addictive and expensive. Sounds like you have the affliction already. 

I offer my condolences.

Kinda like me. With this mach 1. Anymore with anything you get a good one or the lemon.

Ya this .22 got some hit. I made targets out of 26/24 guage tin and at the 120 foot/40 yard it shreds them up with good hit report.

I figured if it's doing hat I guess a " coke can " hit on a squirrel should bring him down dear or alive...lol...

I figure after this 500 round tin of pellets to try the scope o use it on a rimfire I got that need it more ( gamo boxed scope ) then get a more reliable recommend scope for this gamo?

Not seeing that with this one it's got the cat trigger and out of the box it's fine. Not to say I'll fine tune it later on

Recoil ?? Ya it's more then my old beman .177 ( think it's a s1000) or something 

It's not I have gone through a lot of air guns . Pump .22 pistol , co,2 pistols, powerlime rifle the Beeman, Benji!am pump up 22 rifle and this new gamo rifle so I can't really compare

The cocking is stiff for sure . I should have a Popeye right arm by 1500 rounds

Soda can at 20 yards. You should be doing bottle cap at 50 and 100 yards. With .177 you need to hit the kill zone on squirrels. You dont just point and shoot them. You dont want them to suffer and die somewhere else. At least upgrade to .22, it will be more forgivable and put them down on the spot.

That's scoped 5 out of 5 in door on a bench, right ?

I had the best groups with my Gamo Urban using the JSB 16 & 18 grain pellets. The GTO’s shot really good also. Have fun with it when you get it. I still have mine and will use it sparingly or when I have to have something with lower power. 
I recently got an Impact in .25 cal and now shoot cans at 125 yards. Enjoy the obsession and best wishes.

UPDATE:

Got the Urban today and love it despite an air leak at the gauge. Swapped o-ring from spares in the box and it seems to be holding at 195 bar. I know the o-ring in the box is not quite the right one, but will continue to try and get the correct one from Gamo or elsewhere ASAP. Any ideas where to get one? I have searched online to no avail and Gamo seems to be closed today. Pyramid did offer to let me return it but I don't want to be without the gun for 3 weeks.

I was able to put at least 5 shots within an inch at 50 yards despite the leak. The gun would only pump up to about 165 bar. Oh, and pumping SUCKS! I am only 5'6" and about 150 soaking wet. Add that I am 53 years old and there is no way in you know what I can do that for long. If anyone from Pyramid is reading, please get the compressor in stock soon!!

Last note, I am using the JSB 18 grain hollow point as it seemed to do best in reviews I saw online of the Urban.

Auto parts,air conditioner shop, find a guy like a milwright or someone who knows orins to size and tell what kind ( like neoprene or Teflon on niteril,ect..,..)

The 2ed part is key knowing the material or compound used . Just to seal air don't sound nothing too fancy maybe viton oring

But if you got my kinda luck it's a gamo special only for that no other in the world but gamo for $26.95 per each...lol....