new to air rifles....need some advice on buying a better entry level (to mid)

OP, it's ALWAYS a slippery slope when you go on the World Wide Web asking 'what should I buy, and here are my parameters.' The replies always take you so far afield of where you wanted to be originally. I never have gotten on line and asked that question...I simply do the research without asking others' opinions, because I don't want to be led astray.

So. To get back to your original question where you brought up the Walther Terrus. I just received one in .22 a couple of days ago...When I buy new, that is the caliber I want...don't care for .177, but that's just me. In a couple of hours of shooting, the feel of the rifle, while not too much heavier than the Swarm, is different to me. Not worse. Not better. Different. It has every indication of being a tack driver. I've shot H&N FTT 14.66 grains thru it, as well as JSB Exact Heavy Jumbo 18.13 grains. Both are go-to pellets for my rifles, and I'm getting outstanding groups. I understand that AOA has them currently for $149.00 plus shipping, although I didn't get mine from there.

It's a typical German rifle. Fit is excellent...the barrel closes like a vault. Finish is 'meh', the stock is bland, but it's a hell of a shooter. I'm in the 12 FPE range with mine, with the JSB pellets shooting much more consistently in terms of velocity. But, to me, velocity is secondary to accuracy, and it has accuracy in spades!

Bottom line...if you are looking for another rifle that enhances your experience with the Swarm, this one is it. If you just have to have one of the premium German rifles that you have been pushed toward, go for it! I intend at some point to get an HW97 and/or a Walther LGU, as well as the SIG ASP20...but that's up the road a ways. Probably the -97 next month. So I certainly understand why you'd want to go that direction...but please do that because YOU want to! 

Arch e, congratulations on your purchase of the Weihrauch HW97. I'm sure once you figure out the weight thing (everyone does) you will be more than happy with your gun. Break it in (shoot it alot) and you will find it just keeps getting better and better. As you mentioned this gun in your second post on this thread ( one hour after the first post) I don't think anyone "pushed" you towards your decision to buy....you took your time and made an informed decision. Now you own a gun you can be proud of for a life time. Enjoy it and when you find the best pellets and figure out your best hold, let us see some of your groups and tell us what you like about the gun over what you had. That way someone else who maybe looking to make a " step up" in quality can read and learn from your experience. That's why we are all here. Now get out there and shoot.

Airguns can be like Rimfire rifles . . .

Significant different levels of precision based on the ammo (pellet) even as close as 25 yards.

Unfortunately we have to buy tins of 200-500 just to test and see what our gun likes, and usually have to order them at that.

I will say one can likely drop the Crosman 14.3 HP off the list. They have not shot well out of anything I own.

My HW97K loves the H&N 8.18 Target pellets! Superb! I'm shooting a dime without bags but propping my hold arm on a table. It also shoots the H&N Field Trophey pellets 8.64 really well, too--along with Gamo 7.9s, CP Destroyers (7.4) and CPHP 7.9s, though the Crosman Premiers are clearly the least consistent in molding (some loose, others flush to push in). The CP Pirahna 10.5 shoot consistently lower when compared to all the above.The HK97K dispises the CP 10.6 coated pellets. 

Congratulations on your choice. definitely a true generational gun that not only you but one day your grand kids will enjoy and think of you when they shoot, now you just have to find that one pellet that makes your rifle a tack driver i recommend the H&N brand as I saw you already got some and found out for your self they are a accurate quality consistent pellet company, they sell sample packs that you may want to try the target pellets you are using are a great go-to choice but I remember you saying that there are some critters that need to be taken care of, for that I recommend the baracuta power pellets they are almost like the normal baracuta's but with a copper coating that makes them penetrate better and in my opinion fly a bit truer also you don't have to worry about touching lead all the time and what lead does end up buried in your yard will have a copper coating to keep the lead from leaching out into your land. Something most air gun enthusiast never think about, a single pellet doesn't seem like much but one hundred tins of ammo is 2 to 5,000 little chunks of unretriveable toxic pollutants buried under your grass so i use pellet traps when practicing and copper coating when hunting. 

Well, three months later....

As the OP, I thought I would give you some feedback.

First, I've ended up with four .177 air rifles (but sent one to my dad for shooting): Gamo Swarm, Crosman Nitro Venom Dusk, HW97K, and HW95 (w/vortek tune). 

Second, I've killed 50 squirrels since starting in Jan, with the Gamo accounting for just less than half.

Third, the Weihrauch rifles are definitely worth the extra cost, as is quality ammo. Oh, and learning what you gun(s) like is VIP, too.

Fourth, the squirrels have wised up so I no longer get easy shots. All of my last dozen kills (HW95/97K) have been at 25+ yds (but under 32). 

Fifth, a gun's total weight, including scope, does really matter to me. 

Sixth, THANK THOSE OF YOU WHO responded and tried to get me going with some "training wheels." 

First, I've ended up with four .177 air rifles (but sent one to my dad for shooting): Gamo Swarm, Crosman Nitro Venom Dusk, HW97K, and HW95 (w/vortek tune)...

Welcome to airgunning! Already up to four rifles, eh? It only gets better (worse?) from here, and more expensive!! You picked two great Weihrauchs to start with. If weight is a factor, consider the HW30 for your next acquisition. If you do your part, it is enough power to take out the fusebox of any squirrel under 20 yards (I generally stick to 15 or less) . But with an HW97 and HW95, you've already got all the pesting power you need; where an HW30 really shines is just shooting for the joy of shooting. Light, trim, easy to cock, and generally shoots like a laser. My two cents.

After that, you need a TX200 (so you can weigh in on the "which is better, HW97 or TX200" debate), an FWB124 (because it has almost the power of an HW95, but is a easier to cock and a true classic), an HW80/R1 (sometimes more power is fun!) an HW35E, Diana 34, HW50, FWB300s, etc., etc. Oh, and don't forget you'll several guns in multiple calibers, some scoped/open sights....

Seriously though, add a fun plinker like the HW30 and you've got a well-rounded collection of three of the best, high-end springers out there. Or do something totally different - I have bought quite a few used guns from the forums just because I wanted to try them. Some have been beautiful guns, but I just don't like shooting them much. Some aren't as impressive, but I love picking them up over and over again. I try new things and sell the ones that I don't love. I lose some money when selling, but I look at it as the cost of "renting" the gun to experience it. If you look at it that way, you realize that it's really not very much money to try something out and see how it goes (just be sure you're buying from good people!).

There are no wrong answers!

First, I've ended up with four .177 air rifles (but sent one to my dad for shooting): Gamo Swarm, Crosman Nitro Venom Dusk, HW97K, and HW95 (w/vortek tune)...

Welcome to airgunning! Already up to four rifles, eh? It only gets better (worse?) from here, and more expensive!! ... an HW30 really shines is just shooting for the joy of shooting. Light, trim, easy to cock, and generally shoots like a laser. My two cents.

I have bought quite a few used guns from the forums just because I wanted to try them. .... I try new things and sell the ones that I don't love. I lose some money when selling, but I look at it as the cost of "renting" the gun to experience it. If you look at it that way, you realize that it's really not very much money to try something out and see how it goes (just be sure you're buying from good people!).

Thanks for the encouragement and not-so-gentle nudge further down the rabbit hole :).

I'm having fun and enjoying what I've bought to date, which includes a few new pistols. As you indicated, I'm trying to buy some from the classifieds. Trying out new gadgets is always half the fun! My Weihrauchs are awesome; unfortunately, I was to cheap to start with them. If I had, I might not have need four. The Crosman is a keeper, just a tad more fussy. The Gamo is fun but frustrating. And, I am so wanting a HW30--except that my squirrel (pods--is this the correct term) are wising up and no longer giving me close shots. I'll really need the range capability of the 95/97K, seeing that I'm already having to take 25-30 yard shots. 

Having fun and being safe,

Arch_E

I did consider that as an option; but initially, I was just too cheap to pop for PCP plus pump and scope and stuff. Now, I realize that I could have easily bought one and had an awesome rifle. ATM, my Weihrauchs will outshoot me beyond 30 yards, so I'm practicing to get better. However, my yard size is a major factor in how far I can shoot (safely).

Thanks,

Arch_E

Glad you got what works best for you, I went through the same thing with my first few rifles. I just seen your posts today so didn’t get a chance to tell you before your purchase that I’ve learned that the weight isn’t the problem that it’s how it’s balanced that’s important to me. My first was a Hatsan and was really nose heavy which I didn’t like, I now have a Seneca Sumatra which is about the same weight but is much more balanced I love it. 

I have a lot of springers, a lot.My advice is to go with one that is easy to cock,not too heavy ,has a good trigger and that can be easily tuned for a even better experience later on.....The R7 is one that you can keep and use even when you get real old,the R9 is another good one,The HW30 is a good one,the HW50 is good ,but harder to cock and needs a longer break in.None of these is too expensive for what you are getting...more money will get you a HW98....very nice.

More money will also get you into the under levers,they are more accurate,butt also more heavier.I have good ones,but to tell the truth I like break barrels better....So The R7,HW30 for less money, weight and easy to shoot...the other I mentioned for more power,range and weight.

And all I mentioned have great tune kits available for later on when and if you need them.The cost of rifles are $300 to around $400,the HW is about$640...and the under levers are over $700...those are new prices...I buy used and save...probably why I have so many.

Reactions: Arch_E
I have a lot of springers, a lot.My advice is to go with one that is easy to cock,not too heavy ,has a good trigger and that can be easily tuned for a even better experience later on.....The R7 is one that you can keep and use even when you get real old,the R9 is another good one,The HW30 is a good one,the HW50 is good ,but harder to cock and needs a longer break in.None of these is too expensive for what you are getting...more money will get you a HW98....very nice.

More money will also get you into the under levers,they are more accurate,butt also more heavier.I have good ones,but to tell the truth I like break barrels better....So The R7,HW30 for less money, weight and easy to shoot...the other I mentioned for more power,range and weight.

And all I mentioned have great tune kits available for later on when and if you need them.The cost of rifles are $300 to around $400,the HW is about$640...and the under levers are over $700...those are new prices...I buy used and save...probably why I have so many.

Thanks for the wise counsel!

I'm having a blast shooting my HW95. It's an incredible gun to shoot. I bought it used with a vortek kit upgrade. I'm sold!!! I've also got a HW97K, that shoots just as well, if not better, but it's weighty heft is too much for me to shoot off-hand, which is how I eliminate pest. My dad took my first purchase--a .177 Gamo Swarm Maxxim; he's not eliminating pests from his bird feeders, too. 

I expect to add either a R7 or HW30 before too long, but for now I'm having effective fun in eliminating pests and practicing at various ranges. However, your advice to buy quality is spot on!

With appreciation,

Arch_E