• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New Theoben Evolution .22 with a tight breach

Hi all,

I've recently bought a Theoben Evolution in .22 calibre. Believe it or not, the gun was actually brand new (had been in the back of a local airgun shop for years and discovered by the owner recently).

I love the gun. My only concern is that, unlike previous springers I've owned, the breach feels very tight when I try to load pellets into it. The gun definitely is a .22 (says so on the barrel). The main point at which it is catching the pellet and needing a fair bit more force than I'm used to applying in order to load the pellet flush with the breach is as the head (the widest circumference of the pellet) goes into the breach. The pellets that I'm using are H&N field target trophies and also JSB Jumbo Diabolo Exact - both 5.5mm.

I have two questions:

1) do tight breaches (and therefore corresponding microscopic deformations of the pellet as it is loaded) cause problems with accuracy in your experience
2) How can I get around this? I've tried to find smaller .22 pellets (?5.4mm or 5.3mm pellets here in the UK but they don't seem to be available)

Any suggestions would be really appreciated. 

Thanks,
Taha

#1, could be possible (???) but I've never seen that to be the case. Actually might be sort of nice & "sized" that way. Many people use a "pellet pin" ( hey I may have an original theoben poker for sale?) or seating tool, as long as your accuracy is good - so you can answer that. If it groups well "I" Accuracy wont change down the road due to being "snug".
There is a reason Theoben used to sell their seating tool. 
If having to choose between a tight fit and "drops right in" every competition shooter I know would take the tight fit, period.

Now keeping in mind that if it is grouping well ANY change to your barrel could ruin/change that,

You could chamfer or ream the barrel allowing you to insert a pellet easier, naturally then the pellet skirt will get blown larger by the air blast , then squashed down the dia. of your barrel so a pellet specific ( length ) lead might be best.

If it groups, get a pellet poker.

Hey, and, ran it through a Chrony yet? If not as it could have been sitting since 2002 ( ish depending ) which could be a long time for the seal and ram to sit still? 

Congrats on a great rifle! Pics?

John