• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

New target rifle

RickH

Jan 22, 2022
Evening everyone,

I hope I’m putting this in the right place. A few weeks ago I had a disappointing match at the CMP in Anniston AL. Two days before the match I shot a sub 1-inch 60 shot group. At the match I shot a 4+ inch group. I think the problem is me, not the rifle, but it gave an excuse to look around. A member of our RC club was also shooting and doing very well. He mentioned he had an old Anschutz at home in the closet and it could be available. He’s retired military and his wife is active duty and both shoot competitively. He brought it by today and it checked all my boxes just looking at it. It’s several steps above my current rifle and looking at the stickers on it, it’s been used in the PanAm Final Match, the 02 World Championship and the 04 Athens Olympics. It’s been there and done that as his comp rifle. He’s not using it now and has offered to sell it to me. Other than I’m not worthy of it i can think of no reason not to buy it. He’s almost giving it away, less than $1200. Any reason not to buy this? I can’t think of one even I wasn’t competing. Opinions? Thanks.

Rick H

IMG_0018.jpeg

I think you are posting in the wrong section as this is for field target and it appears you are shooting 10M air rifle. That was a good 10M air rifle in its day and no doubt will still shoot great. It’s an old rifle though and I wouldn’t pay $1200 for it. $900-$1000 if it’s in good shape and been recently resealed. Just my opinion. Unfortunately The dollar is weak against the euro right now or I would say spend a few hundred more and get a new 10M rifle from Krale. If you can find a good deal on a Walther LG400 or FWB 800 get that. They are modern versions (though Walther just announced the LG500 and FWB the 900) and you can get parts easier. If you are just a casual shooter then the Anschutz 2002 will be fine if its in good working order.

Reactions: Long_Gun_Dallas
It'll probably need a full set of O-rings so best to plan that rebuild in the budget if you aren't up to the task.

Also I don't know if Anschutz is this way but the way Steyr is - with my old LP5 they wouldn't rebuild the air cylinder so I had to buy a new one which are pricey. Something about a unsafe condition due to out of life metal fatigue.

Then for FT you'd have to find a Smith to convert it to 12-20 fpe if that wasn't already done.

Field target is quite new to me. I’ve only shot 15m matches so far. I don’t know anything about different classes. This rifle is in good condition having been serviced in the last year or so. I’m confident enough in the seller that if there were obvious problems he would have told me. I thought this might be the place to ask but if not, my apologies. This rifle has a number of similarities to other rifles I’ve seen in competition but I don’t yet know what questions to ask. I’ll put some rounds through it when the wind calms a bit.I should mention that I found a couple of videos on a 2002 but it was a different version, not a pcp.
Rick H.

That is a nice looking rifle, I have one just like it but silver and blue wooden parts. The red it uncommon, and $1200 is about right, maybe high by a bit, but still a good price especially if it comes with the sights. As someone mentioned, it is a 10m air rifle and shoots 8.2 gr pellets around 550 to 600 fps. You can send them to Mr. AZ to get converted in FT power levels if you want to.

On this site you might be in the closest topic forum to match airguns.

Yes that seems to be a good deal for a match airgun. As with all 10m match airguns it is low power, which is ideal for shooting wadcutter pellets indoors at 10m, but severely underpowered for domed pellets outdoors at longer ranges. The major classes in US field target are either 12fpe max and 20fpe max and this gun probably does about six.

There are airgun tuners (Allen Zasadny) who can soup up certain match airguns into competitive field target machines but 1) I don’t think he does this with every model of match airgun 2) it can cost hundreds of dollars and 3) for a beginner it’s far better to be shooting than waiting your turn for Allen and taking a chance he will have a plan for this specific model.

All that said it’s a really cool gun and I’d be sorely tempted to get it even if it’s not going to become a field target gun.

Last edited:
That is a nice looking rifle, I have one just like it but silver and blue wooden parts. The red it uncommon, and $1200 is about right, maybe high by a bit, but still a good price especially if it comes with the sights. As someone mentioned, it is a 10m air rifle and shoots 8.2 gr pellets around 550 to 600 fps. You can send them to Mr. AZ to get converted in FT power levels if you want to.
AZ is a bit overwhelmed at the moment with home building projects :{ and the best he can do is <16 fpe because as AZ says "accuracy will suffer above that".

Reactions: dgeesaman and SAZ
Evening everyone,

I hope I’m putting this in the right place. A few weeks ago I had a disappointing match at the CMP in Anniston AL. Two days before the match I shot a sub 1-inch 60 shot group. At the match I shot a 4+ inch group. I think the problem is me, not the rifle, but it gave an excuse to look around. A member of our RC club was also shooting and doing very well. He mentioned he had an old Anschutz at home in the closet and it could be available. He’s retired military and his wife is active duty and both shoot competitively. He brought it by today and it checked all my boxes just looking at it. It’s several steps above my current rifle and looking at the stickers on it, it’s been used in the PanAm Final Match, the 02 World Championship and the 04 Athens Olympics. It’s been there and done that as his comp rifle. He’s not using it now and has offered to sell it to me. Other than I’m not worthy of it i can think of no reason not to buy it. He’s almost giving it away, less than $1200. Any reason not to buy this? I can’t think of one even I wasn’t competing. Opinions? Thanks.

Rick H

View attachment 410234
Bring your self down to Pensacola first saturday of the month and shoot field target with us @BC

I may come down and see what it’s all about. I did get to shoot this one late today for the first time. Gamo red tip pellets were what I had handy. This rifle had never been shot with these sights so it took a few shots to get it zeroed but after that I was getting half inch groups shooting off hand with the sun in my face. The trigger is the best I’ve ever shot on any gun. It almost seemed like if I just thought hard enough it would fire. It will take a bit of practice but I wanted a rifle for 15 meter match shooting and I think this is it. Really pleased so far.

Rick H.