new tank question

I just received a new 75 cu tank with my new daystate huntsman. I am sure it was for shipping purposes, but, The top valve was
loose. Should I tighten it before I take it to the dive shop or should I let them do it?
Is there any special way to get it tight enough?
Thanks
Doc
Doc,
Putting together pneumatic setups is just like working with gas or water fittings [heating / plumbing related]
A really nice trick to use on these air-related assemblies is 'YELLOW TEFLON TAPE'.
Every single Threaded component on any gun or fill system that I've touched utilizes this stuff..
Yellow-Teflon-Tape is made a bit differently - since it's used for natural gas threaded connections..
Non flammable and Thicker. *Thicker* being key here.. 1 full twist around - no more than 1.5 is good to go!
This added tape will 'seal' the threads as they're connected - as a backup / redundant sealing measure..
There will be an O-ring on your fill assembly that goes into the tank.. Just make sure it touches/compresses
once the filler assembly is flush w/ the tank opening.
When Tightly Hand Tightened, you 'should' be good to go. Once air is introduced, internal pressure will want to escape..
That same pressure helps that O-ring 'seal'. and seal 'tighter'. So really no need to crank them together..

Sam -

Doc,
Putting together pneumatic setups is just like working with gas or water fittings [heating / plumbing related]
A really nice trick to use on these air-related assemblies is 'YELLOW TEFLON TAPE'.
Every single Threaded component on any gun or fill system that I've touched utilizes this stuff..
Yellow-Teflon-Tape is made a bit differently - since it's used for natural gas threaded connections..
Non flammable and Thicker. *Thicker* being key here.. 1 full twist around - no more than 1.5 is good to go!
This added tape will 'seal' the threads as they're connected - as a backup / redundant sealing measure..
There will be an O-ring on your fill assembly that goes into the tank.. Just make sure it touches/compresses
once the filler assembly is flush w/ the tank opening.
When Tightly Hand Tightened, you 'should' be good to go. Once air is introduced, internal pressure will want to escape..
That same pressure helps that O-ring 'seal'. and seal 'tighter'. So really no need to crank them together..

Sam -
I worked in the scuba business for ten years, servicing and inspecting well over one thousand scuba and scba’s. Not one tank ever, ever had thread tape on it or should it. Straight threads will not seal with tape. The O ring is the only seal necessary.
The ONLY exception is a tank with NPT threads (tapered) and must have pipe dope or thread tape to seal the connection. Tapered valves, unlikely to see them on scba’s, do not have O rings.

The valve should just be hand tight into the bottle.
As bdzjlz said, hand tight. When you feel the valve stop, that’s it, the design of the valve with the O ring creates compression on the O ring thereby creating a pressure tight seal. With gas pressure against the valve it is extremely difficult to loosen the valve.

Do you like going to dive shop? I go to my local air gun dealer as the dive shop never seems to get my tank filled enough or not as much as the dealer's tank. It's just a small tank for bulldog 357 but it does the trick and I normally get 10 to 15 refills and I never had luck with the handpumps.
Ryan.
Unfourtunatly I have limited choices. Rural area. No air gun dealers and only 2 dive shops within 50 mile circle. BTW both can only fill to 3200 and not the full 4500.
Not sure how many refills I can get out of the 3200 with a 3626 gun and a 150 bar regulator in the weapon.

I have a question about getting tanks filled at a dive shop do they require if you are certified diver before they will fill a tank ? Might be a dumb question but I'm new to air rifles.
Some dive shops ask that. The one I worked at applied a sticker to the tank that said not for diving. Typically SCBA’s aren’t used for diving but they might put one on anyway. A dive shop will require a yearly inspection on the tank with another sticker to verify it is within the inspection date. They will also verify that your hydrostatic test is valid. They will probably require you to sign a document that you will not use it for breathing.

Ryan.
Unfourtunatly I have limited choices. Rural area. No air gun dealers and only 2 dive shops within 50 mile circle. BTW both can only fill to 3200 and not the full 4500.
Not sure how many refills I can get out of the 3200 with a 3626 gun and a 150 bar regulator in the weapon.

You won't get any airgun fills to 3636 psi out of a tank that is filled to 3200 psi max no matter how big the tank is. Assuming you will be using it in the field, tethering isn't really an option. But, with your 75 cubic foot tank you could fill your Huntsman if it has the 162 cc cylinder on it, about 14 times starting at a tank pressure of 3200 psi, then refilling the tank again once you drop to the 150 bar / 2175 PSI tank pressure of your regulator. A 4500 psi tank fill will give you about 25 fills. Use the calculator link posted above or this one at Airguns of Arizona, to see the fill count at various higher max tank pressures.

Sounds like you will want a compressor. Decent ones start at $235 (Yong Heng) and go up to well over $3000. No need to drive anywhere or pay any fill or inspection fees to keep your tank full. Plus you can fill it to the max pressure or near max pressure which is probably marked at 4500 PSI, though some stop between 4000 and 4400 psi rather than the max. If you want to fill it to 4500 you may want to get a compressor rated at more than 4500 psi max.

Last edited:
Ryan.
You won’t even get one complete fill. Just run it tethered to your gun and you will get a bunch of shots before it gets down to reg pressure.

Reactions: rcs9250
I worked in the scuba business for ten years, servicing and inspecting well over one thousand scuba and scba’s. Not one tank ever, ever had thread tape on it or should it. Straight threads will not seal with tape. The O ring is the only seal necessary.
The ONLY exception is a tank with NPT threads (tapered) and must have pipe dope or thread tape to seal the connection. Tapered valves, unlikely to see them on scba’s, do not have O rings.
Good info, and thanks for sharing! While I do know the differences between different types of fitting-thread-types,
this is the first time hearing about what To / Not-To use tape on.
[I spent over a decade designing/building/installing custom air-ride-suspensions and/or components]
Hight quality tape was always a must. [back to NPT though]

I used it on all npt. Airguns, also using bsp - so I started using it on those as well..
These tanks, [scba] I understand use 'nps'.

Thanks again for sharing!

**If I didn't have BAD luck, I wouldn't have any Luck at all,
so in My case, I'll continue using it - since it's worked flawlessly on 3 tanks - going on 4-5 years.
[I've dealt w/ gun/tank leaks in the past and this has prevented those headaches so far]

Sam -