• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New tank owner - likely stupid question ( but I ain't shy . . . lol )

. . . so I picked up an Air Venturi tank from PA after a bummer of an experience with a nomad ii compressor. I got it filled at a local scuba shop a few weeks ago and have used it on a number of times now. Man - why didn't I just go this route from the get go?! It's SOOOOO much faster and easier - even with the compressor that I used to have. :)

So here's the thing - I figured out ( mostly from here and watching videos ) out how to fill my guns using the tank. Connect it, ensure bleed valve is closed, slowly crack the fill valve on the tank open and let the gun and tank equalize. This is easy enough to see, and to a degree - even hear, while watching the gauge on the tank. The needle goes up pretty quick till both equalized, and then you just let it slowly fill to desired pressure - then close the valve. Bleed it, disconnect - done. Easy peasy.

How do I check to see how much pressure is remaining in the tank though?? ( lol - told ya - likely dumb question ) I'm thinking - but haven't tried yet - figured I'd do this first - ask - that all I do is put the "plug" that came with the tank into the foster fitting and then just crack it and let the pressure build behind it. That should be the pressure remaining in the tank itself - right??

Yes, you need a dead head plug if you your tank doesn't have a second gauge that always shows the tank pressure. Sounds like your tank came with one. Just put the plug in the fitting and slowly open up the valve just like you fill your gun. The gauge will show the remaining pressure in the tank. Then bleed it off just like you do after you fill your gun. 

When you get tired of paying the dive shop to under fill your tank, look for a Shoebox compressor (new or used). They are rock solid. Not speedy but you can just turn it on and go about your business and your tank will be full when you get back to it.

lol ( thanks for helping me feel *less* new! :) )

One of these things . . . . it just plugs into the line and doesn't let air pass - it's a "dead end".

1580778837_16935682945e38c5559cb596.21955215_Capture.JPG

FWIW, I personally try not to dead-head too often just to check pressure. It can waste more air than you may think, especially if you have a long hose. Basically you are filling the entire internal volume of any valve bodies, couplings, connectors, hose, etc., to max pressure and then just having to bleed it all off. Best to only do that if you really need to.

For me, I get the pressure readings when they really matter and for free: When I'm filling a gun and the equalization pressure on the gauge stops at just below my target. Then I know. You still get plenty of shooting, but have the warning that you need to fill soon.

I think using a dead head from time to time and not hooked up to a bottle with larger, "softer" volume will give you a more definite idea of what the performance of the compressor is. Using a dead limits the discharge of the compressor to a "more known" capacity to fill, probably just the HP discharge side, maybe a desiccant filter, the hose and a gauge or dead head plug. Just record the time it takes to fill the discharge side for a baseline of the compressors performance. A few more fills down the line and something seems out of whack, double check it with a dead head and see how it compares to previous test.

Jimmy

. . . so I picked up an Air Venturi tank from PA after a bummer of an experience with a nomad ii compressor. I got it filled at a local scuba shop a few weeks ago and have used it on a number of times now. Man - why didn't I just go this route from the get go?! It's SOOOOO much faster and easier - even with the compressor that I used to have. :)

So here's the thing - I figured out ( mostly from here and watching videos ) out how to fill my guns using the tank. Connect it, ensure bleed valve is closed, slowly crack the fill valve on the tank open and let the gun and tank equalize. This is easy enough to see, and to a degree - even hear, while watching the gauge on the tank. The needle goes up pretty quick till both equalized, and then you just let it slowly fill to desired pressure - then close the valve. Bleed it, disconnect - done. Easy peasy.

How do I check to see how much pressure is remaining in the tank though?? ( lol - told ya - likely dumb question ) I'm thinking - but haven't tried yet - figured I'd do this first - ask - that all I do is put the "plug" that came with the tank into the foster fitting and then just crack it and let the pressure build behind it. That should be the pressure remaining in the tank itself - right??

Easy enough, if your tank is non regulated once your air tank and gun equalize the gauge on the gun is reading the equalised pressure, ie the pressure in the gan and in the tank.

@Nikswa87 - assuming you're asking me . . . I had to send it back to PA not one, not two, but THREE times. Like baseball - three strikes and "You're Out!" ( lol ) The damned thing kept dying on me, and while the folks at PA were very cool about honoring the warranty on it - I was like "C'mon man . . . this thing's only a couple of months old and is proving to be very unreliable - esp for what it cost. 😠 "

Like all things . . . hopefully the materials / "tech" used in these devices, etc . . . will mature over time, get less expensive, AND become more reliable. If and when they do - then ~maybe~ I'll consider picking up another one at some point in the future.