New tank, failed inspection.

frunobulax, 

I agree. I'll never buy another CF tank from Omega again. Lesson learned.

Are you serious? If not, congratulations, you have compelled me into posting again.Either you are a troll, or your reading comprehension is severely lacking, assuming, the latter, here is the original quote:
"They said they are one of the only shops that will fill to 4500 psi, and showed me an Omega cylinder they had just filled."

That was the brand of tank that passed their inspection that they had just filled. I assume they were demonstrating that they do fill similar tanks that do not have the issue claimed.

I never said the failed tank was Omega or anyone else.

Having had many of the SCBA type cylinders, I can say it would be physically impossible to cross thread the valve all the say into the tank. A possibility is that dirt or contamination of some sort got into the threads while assembling, or like another post said that lock tite of some kind was used unnecessarily. Without removing the valve from the tank there is no way to tell, and if its not cross threaded then the valve flange would be parallel with the tank flange. If its cross threaded it would be at an angle. Best to remove and inspect, maybe post some photos...? If the threads had dirt or contaminants, who knows what is inside the tank waiting to get into your PCP. An open and inspect is prudent in any case.

After reading others opinion about locktite, I would agree that is the cause. Cause the reason it failed was it was too hard for this company to take the valve off. These cf tank only need hand tight, no tools or locktite. They are seal by the pressure inside the tanks making it impossible come loose with pressure inside. But some paintball tanks uses locktite on their valves. I dont know why. But a brand new paintball tank I bought was Hella hard to remove. I have to clamp the bottle tight with a vice and use tools to really get the valve off. I guesses some companies uses locktite so the valve would never come off. But really, these valves only need to be hand tight.

As for the inspection company. Yes all fill station or dive shop or paintball shop that fills cf tank does visually inspection. That means they looks at the tanks for dent, crack, peeling of the carbon fiber or any damage on the outside. So my question is why are they even taking the valve off. That is what hydro testing does. They take valve off, inspect inside and outside and hydro test it. So since there is no need to hydro test a new tank. There is no reason for them to even try to take the valve off. Also if it failed their inspection why did they return the tank? By law, if a tank fails inspection test they must keep and destroy the tank so it can not be used anymore. So if they feel this tank is too dangerous for a professional like them to fill why the heck would they give it back to a customer know they will try to get it fill with their own or a buddy's compressor. Very dangerous here. We all want to know who this fill company is. If I'm the inspection company and it failed my testing and I wouldn't fill safe to fill it i would never give it back knowing it could possibly kill a customer. Smh

Having had many of the SCBA type cylinders, I can say it would be physically impossible to cross thread the valve all the say into the tank. A possibility is that dirt or contamination of some sort got into the threads while assembling, or like another post said that lock tite of some kind was used unnecessarily. Without removing the valve from the tank there is no way to tell, and if its not cross threaded then the valve flange would be parallel with the tank flange. If its cross threaded it would be at an angle. Best to remove and inspect, maybe post some photos...? If the threads had dirt or contaminants, who knows what is inside the tank waiting to get into your PCP. An open and inspect is prudent in any case.

Ditto I think the same

I have owned dozens of Ninja/Crossfire/Air America tanks from playing paintball since 96. I have never seen a tank/regulator cross threaded. (Not saying it can't happen) 

I have never received a Ninja tank with loctite but Air America tanks did have LOTS of loctite on them. The hydro tester in Jax Fl told me they didn't want to do the hydrotest because they had snapped the regulators trying to get them off the bottle on many of the tanks they had tried to test. (Cheap brass PMI regs) Lucky for me the Air America regulators were Stainless Steel so the loctite broke before the regulator did. 

Normally when a tank is properly hydrotested, if it fails, by law they are supposed to cut the tank in half before returning it to you. It is a bummer when they give you a tank cut in 2 pieces and you still have to pay for the test. Been there

Let us know how the new tank works out. 

I have owned dozens of Ninja/Crossfire/Air America tanks from playing paintball since 96. I have never seen a tank/regulator cross threaded. (Not saying it can't happen) 

I have never received a Ninja tank with loctite but Air America tanks did have LOTS of loctite on them. The hydro tester in Jax Fl told me they didn't want to do the hydrotest because they had snapped the regulators trying to get them off the bottle on many of the tanks they had tried to test. (Cheap brass PMI regs) Lucky for me the Air America regulators were Stainless Steel so the loctite broke before the regulator did. 

Normally when a tank is properly hydrotested, if it fails, by law they are supposed to cut the tank in half before returning it to you. It is a bummer when they give you a tank cut in 2 pieces and you still have to pay for the test. Been there

Let us know how the new tank works out.

Gnarly and lame. Yeah I’ve never heard of cross threading on a tank. Bizarre 

frunobulax, 

Are you serious? If not, congratulations, you have compelled me into posting again.Either you are a troll, or your reading comprehension is severely lacking, assuming, the latter, here is the original quote:
"They said they are one of the only shops that will fill to 4500 psi, and showed me an Omega cylinder they had just filled."

That was the brand of tank that passed their inspection that they had just filled. I assume they were demonstrating that they do fill similar tanks that do not have the issue claimed.

Well, you got one thing right....

1594763232_17138236905f0e27e01c45f4.00394384.jpeg

🤣

The funny thing is that it worked. Now we know it's not an Omega tank. At least we're narrowing it down. We're on the 3rd page of this thread and you still haven't revealed who the vendor is even after they've decided to resolve it. Spill the beans already!

After reading others opinion about locktite, I would agree that is the cause. Cause the reason it failed was it was too hard for this company to take the valve off. These cf tank only need hand tight, no tools or locktite. They are seal by the pressure inside the tanks making it impossible come loose with pressure inside. But some paintball tanks uses locktite on their valves. I dont know why. But a brand new paintball tank I bought was Hella hard to remove. I have to clamp the bottle tight with a vice and use tools to really get the valve off. I guesses some companies uses locktite so the valve would never come off. But really, these valves only need to be hand tight.

As for the inspection company. Yes all fill station or dive shop or paintball shop that fills cf tank does visually inspection. That means they looks at the tanks for dent, crack, peeling of the carbon fiber or any damage on the outside. So my question is why are they even taking the valve off. That is what hydro testing does. They take valve off, inspect inside and outside and hydro test it. So since there is no need to hydro test a new tank. There is no reason for them to even try to take the valve off. Also if it failed their inspection why did they return the tank? By law, if a tank fails inspection test they must keep and destroy the tank so it can not be used anymore. So if they feel this tank is too dangerous for a professional like them to fill why the heck would they give it back to a customer know they will try to get it fill with their own or a buddy's compressor. Very dangerous here. We all want to know who this fill company is. If I'm the inspection company and it failed my testing and I wouldn't fill safe to fill it i would never give it back knowing it could possibly kill a customer. Smh

According to the tank vendor lock-tite is not used, so lock-tite does not explain the resistance of the threads.

I do not agree that visual inspection does not involve inspecting the interior. The dive shop explained to me that they have received some horrible tanks with current certification (mainly paintball) with lots of corrosion and debris inside. How would you detect that from the outside?

Pure speculation, from me, no vendor said anything below to me, and I know nothing about the regulations except hydro-testing has to occur every 5 years:
As for why the fill station did not keep that tank, I have no idea. I speculate they knew it was brand new, and that I was going to return it. If they kept it, and destroyed it, that would not be possible. Maybe that also explains why they did not open it. Maybe if they saw damage they would be obligated to destroy it. Maybe the destroy clause does not apply for informal visual inspection. This was not a certification or hydro test. They explained to me that they would never fill a tank with a valve that hard to turn. Like you and the and the dive shop said, valve should be hand tight. This one clearly was not.

I am not revealing the dive shop because I believe they did the right thing and explained their reasoning clearly. The receipt they gave me clearly states their position, and what they found. I will be taking the replacement tank to them to fill. If they destroyed the tank, how would I return it?

frunobulax, 

Well, you got one thing right....

1594763232_17138236905f0e27e01c45f4.00394384.jpeg

🤣

The funny thing is that it worked. Now we know it's not an Omega tank. At least we're narrowing it down. We're on the 3rd page of this thread and you still haven't revealed who the vendor is even after they've decided to resolve it. Spill the beans already!

I have neither confirmed or denied any vendor.

Also, I said "I will reveal the vendor if I do not get resolution." 

Your reading comprehension is lacking.

Are you 8 years old?

Document everything and let your CC company deal with that after forwarding everything detailing the incident to them. If not then pay everything off Except that $$$ amount for that defective tank and cut up that card and walk away give them a call and state you're not paying that amount and NSYNC THEM!!! BYE BYE BYE!!!

(NO LONGER BUY BUY BUY!!!)

https://youtu.be/Eo-KmOd3i7s

It's not a legal requirement to inspect a tank before filling for the first time. You are lucky that they did or you would have been none the wiser for the next five years if it didn't leak. Do they charge extra for this service? I'm surprised that the vendor did not supply the tank prefilled. It would have been prudent of them to make sure it didn't leak especially if they had installed the valve themselves. That in its self is proof of the dodginess of their business practices. I think that you should out them to help prevent other novices from suffering similar experiences.

Yes, they charged me $30 for the inspection, which seems steep. They did offer to talk to the vendor, so I don't feel ripped off.

They do discount the first fill from $20 to $10. However, since they did not fill. I am out $30. ;-(

It's not a legal requirement to inspect a tank before filling for the first time. You are lucky that they did or you would have been none the wiser for the next five years if it didn't leak. Do they charge extra for this service? I'm surprised that the vendor did not supply the tank prefilled. It would have been prudent of them to make sure it didn't leak especially if they had installed the valve themselves. That in its self is proof of the dodginess of their business practices. I think that you should out them to help prevent other novices from suffering similar experiences.

Yes, they charged me $30 for the inspection, which seems steep. They did offer to talk to the vendor, so I don't feel ripped off.

They do discount the first fill from $20 to $10. However, since they did not fill. I am out $30. ;-(

This thread was anticlimactic and boring. Glad the vendor did the right thing though. I will go to ExpertHPA and buy a nice tank to honor this glorious thread. :)

This thread was anticlimactic and boring. Glad the vendor did the right thing though. I will go to ExpertHPA and buy a nice tank to honor this glorious thread. :)

Thank you, you responded more than I did. I would love to see your contributions to an exciting thread ;-).