New Talon Tunes TalonP impressions and interesting pellet/slug test results

Greetings!

I'm new to the forum and after lurking/reading threads on here I decided to purchase a AAA TalonP from Talon Tunes as my second PCP. I've had a Hatsan Flash QE in .25 for a little over a year but wanted to get myself something short, light and powerful as most of my hunting/pesting is on a very steep/rocky mountain that a long rifle is too cumbersome for.

I received my TalonP last week, mounted a 3x9 Bug Buster on it, zeroed and first impressions were HOLY CRAP this thing is loud! I live in a rural area on 4 acres and wouldn't shoot this unsuppressed on my property. Luckily the Talon Tunes Gen6 suppressor does a pretty good job taming it, though my neighbor about 200 yards away still hears me shooting and to my ears there is a slight high pitch/sharpness to the tone of this suppressor that I'm not that fond of. I'm wondering if something like a Ronin from DonnyFL might give better results?

I had some free time after work today and decided to do some pellet/slug testing to see what this little beast likes to eat and I found the results to be interesting. I setup a target at 40 yards and was using shooting bags for support. In an effort to keep testing consistent I filled the gun to 3000 PSI and then picked 2 projectiles to shoot 5 shot groups with, putting me down to around 2000 PSI, I would then pump the gun back up to 3000 PSI and repeat. Power wheel set to 5.

20220718_171316.jpg

Top Left - JSB Hades - Nothing unexpected, grouped like I'm used to. I would be comfortable hunting with them out of this gun.

Top Middle - FX Hybrid 26gr Slugs - FedEx arrived while I was testing and dropped these off, I put a black dot target sticker up for a point of aim and was shocked with how accurate these were. My first time shooting slugs and didn't know what to expect after reading that a crowned barrel may reduce accuracy with slugs. I can't wait to test these on the rock squirrels that have been destroying my driveway.

Top Right - Predator Polymags - These are extremely accurate out of my Flash QE, didn't group as well as I'd like but the two fliers could also be on me. I haven't given up on them yet in this gun, will need to shoot some more groups to verify results.

Middle - H&N Field Target Trophy - No group at all just a shotgun pattern and they do the same out of my Flash QE, maybe getting pushed too fast and becoming unstable?

Bottom Left - H&N Hornets - These weren't very consistent either and results are similar out of my Flash QE, again lighter pellet and maybe going too fast? Not sure the issue but would not be comfortable hunting with this group.

Bottom Right - NSA 33.5gr slugs - I purchased these because I read reviews of TalonP owners having really good results with them and that they're devasting on small game but they're a shotgun pattern for me. I'm going to bump the power up to 8 and try these again.

I thought it was interesting that the FX Hybrids grouped so well compared to the NSA slugs and even blew some of the pellets away. I'm still not shooting this TalonP as accurately as I do the Flash QE but I think that's on me still getting used to the trigger and ergonomics of the TalonP which is a great excuse to shoot more. I'm having a blast with this little power house and got the PCP bug hard now!

I have a chronography coming, will be ordering a Great White air tank next paycheck and am already researching what my next gun will be. I'm thinking something in .22 and currently have my eyes on a Daystate Revere or a Taipan.

Interesting post, thanks. My experience is the NSA need a bit more speed. It will be interesting to see what kind of energy you’re getting out of this compared to a stock talon p.

What is the difference between the AAA and a stock talon p?

I found my .25 talon p to feel a bit sweeter with an 18” barrel - gives it the energy to handle heavier cast .25 projectiles. of course at that point it’s not a talon P anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: mercado
My AAA Talon P from Talon Tunes does pretty well with JSB King Heavy 33.95s.

85 yards. First shot way off. Adjusted windage and the next three in a group the size of a quarter.
IMG_2013.JPG

I found that 2600 psi is the best starting point. Shot strings are pretty consistent from there.
I have my spring preload at 6-16.
And yes, the FX Hybrids. group very nicely. POI is a little lower, so I had to adjust for that, but nice tight groups.

I also dressed mine up a bit with a MadDog stock and a 100cc larger bottle. The stock makes it an entirely different gun.

My AAA Talon P from Talon Tunes does pretty well with JSB King Heavy 33.95s.

85 yards. First shot way off. Adjusted windage and the next three in a group the size of a quarter.
View attachment 347520

I found that 2600 psi is the best starting point. Shot strings are pretty consistent from there.
I have my spring preload at 6-16.
And yes, the FX Hybrids. group very nicely. POI is a little lower, so I had to adjust for that, but nice tight groups.

I also dressed mine up a bit with a MadDog stock and a 100cc larger bottle. The stock makes it an entirely different gun.
Nice! I have a maddog stock on my .457 SS. Will have to look at the Talon stock. Want to keep it pistol size if possible.

Nice! I have a maddog stock on my .457 SS. Will have to look at the Talon stock. Want to keep it pistol size if possible.
It made mine about 2, maybe 2 1/2 inches longer if you don't count the original butt stock as I had it adujsted.
This is it before I added the larger bottle. It is the perfect size with it
IMG_2087.jpg

Reactions: PBuffa
After a few years of buying and selling a few guns . I saw that so far if you know your airforce platform and don't mind single loading there is nothing better.. easy to work on easy to modify. Light.. I have sold most of my guns.. will only keep the 308 bulldog -- 3 uragan and my 4 airforce but I imagine I would need some more AF . Frames let say I buy a few barrels to test ..🤣🤣 im interested in finding the correct twist now for 85gr in 257 it should be close to 1-12 .. but will work on that as son i could test my 1-8 & 1-9 twist ...want to have made a 1-38 for. 30 cal pellets.
20230403_142632.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: PBuffa and MrP