• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New sub 1k scope for WFTF....unobtanium?

I still have the Mueller 8 to 32. It ranged nice in the beginning. I modified a utg wheel to fit, but the mechanism inside got sloppy fairly quickly, less than a season. I have not had it on a springer. Maybe I should throw it on the rws 48 to finish it off.
I opted for the Hawke Sidewinder 8-32x56 to use next season. I haven't had a chance to start ranging with it yet, but I do think it's going to a good job. I got it from DVOR, which had better pricing than Expert Voice.

Hey

Do you know if its that scope a 1st or 2nd focal plane scope?
Don't know but from a google search, it looks like a 2nd focal plane scope. For Field Target, you don't really need a First focal plane scope. At 10x if it's a 1st focal plane, the reticle is sooo small that you can barely see where you are aiming.

Dvor has a Nikko Stirling 10-50X with their HMD-T reticle for $468 ...limited time only. That's a KILLER DEAL!!!

I'll post a link but you probably need to sign up to see the price.

Last edited:
Don't know but from a google search, it looks like a 2nd focal plane scope. For Field Target, you don't really need a First focal plane scope. At 10x if it's a 1st focal plane, the reticle is sooo small that you can barely see where you are aiming.

Dvor has a Nikko Stirling 10-50X with their HMD-T reticle for $468 ...limited time only. That's a KILLER DEAL!!!

I'll post a link but you probably need to sign up to see the price.

I saw this and was interested, but I don't know anything about the hornet. And the 4-6 weeks delivery is a bit of a turn off for me.

how competitive? I used a cheap Element Helix 6-24 ($399 retail) last weekend in a match and shot a 58 out of 60 so seems to work fine. Out of the 4 shots 2 were offhand, 1 was over correcting for wind and the other was under correcting for wind so none were scope related misses.
Great shooting Q with the Helix and a FX. WFTF PCP

When are you gonna try WFTF piston? 2024 Arizona ...plenty of time to switch now.

Wished I had younger eyes to range find at 24X... sigh

Which reticle are you using and is it lighted?

Last edited:
Reactions: qball
I saw this and was interested, but I don't know anything about the hornet. And the 4-6 weeks delivery is a bit of a turn off for me.
I have one it is very similar to the Hawke Sidewinder ED 10-40 very good for the money. The one thing I will say is for Hunter the parallax rotation is 90 degrees and I much prefer a rotation of 180 degrees but I plan on putting it on the USFT for Open where using the higher mag the rotation is not as big of an issue. If you are going to Ron's next weekend I can send it down with Dave so you can at least look through it.

Mark

Reactions: Erdb
I have one it is very similar to the Hawke Sidewinder ED 10-40 very good for the money. The one thing I will say is for Hunter the parallax rotation is 90 degrees and I much prefer a rotation of 180 degrees but I plan on putting it on the USFT for Open where using the higher mag the rotation is not as big of an issue. If you are going to Ron's next weekend I can send it down with Dave so you can at least look through it.

Mark
Thanks but don't bother. My scope budget is done until after Christmas. Christmas 2028 that is.

WFTF or Hunter?

WFTF

Great shooting Q with the Helix and a FX. WFTF PCP

When are you gonna try WFTF piston? 2024 Arizona ...plenty of time to switch now.

Wished I had younger eyes to range find at 24X... sigh

Which reticle are you using and is it lighted?

Thanks! The idea of shooting at the worlds is still being debated but certainly not with a piston! LOL

My eyes are holding up ok for now but starting to need reading glasses. Range finding has a lot to do with how the scope is designed, plus a good set of reading glasses really helps. Look through the eye piece with reading glasses with the diopter adjusted to your eye with reading glasses. Once the target is acquired you won't need long distance vision. Of Course having higher magnification helps a lot and having amazing glass helps too but scope design features such as depth of field varies based on design between scope of similar magnification. I also been trying to find a sub $800 scope with higher magnification for WFTF also and so far no luck. A few vector optics scopes look very promising but I prefer Mil instead of MOA standard.

Unfortunately the helix does not have illuminated reticle! Also in lower light conditions such as darker shade/over cast the ranging does become more difficult as the Helix doesn't have the best glass, in sunny conditions it's not bad at all. Also the focus/parallax wheel has 3/4 revolution travel between 10-55 yards which helps and is the best I've seen on any scope besides dedicated FT scope.

If you like MOA this is a pretty good option:

Last edited:
Hmm
I wonder if it's their way of minimizing credit card charge back?
They charge your credit card now...but don't deliver the goods till 4-6 weeks later.
Making it harder to return the scope after you've paid your monthly credit card bills?

Anyone ordered anything from Dvor? ....is their 4-6 weeks shipping time their regular mode of operation?

or is this a special case?

Last edited:
I got a call from a friend in Cali earlier this week. Turns out that a group of them are buying Athlon Heras 15-60x56's and are loving them, mostly the IQ of the optics. These guys are saying they think the glass might be the same as the Ares ETR version which I can say is outstanding. Maybe even a hair better??? Shop around because you can pick these up on sale for pretty cheap.

Personally to me the reticle is on the thin side so it might not be the best for Hunter FT but for the other divisions I think it'd be fine dialed up to high magnification.

Also the ETR 15-60 can be had at $1000 or maybe a hair over on sale. I like the daylight bright illuminated dot in mine. It's a great scope!

Is there a competitive scope that's under 1k (new) for WFTF?