New stock coming along

So I'm getting close to being done with my laminate stock for my avenger. It's been a long and stressful process for me never having carved a stock before. I'm dreading drilling for the screws to hold the action in lol. Any tips to not screw this up?? Also thanks to Steve from avs for giving me the huevos to try it out. It's been a fun learning experience.
IMG_20210117_140915_01.1611120123.jpg

I also wanted to say you might already know this but just in case make sure that stock is nice and square when you drill the holes and take your time. It probably wouldn’t hurt to put a piece of tape on the bottom of the stock where the drill will break through so it doesn’t splinter. Good luck with it and show us some pictures once you’re done with it.

If you do get your holes off you can always oversize to center and install a screw cup. Oversize to standard diameters so you can buy round metal (brass or aluminum)to fit it properly then machine from there. Take your time and good luck-looks good so far!

BTW-take a flat piece of wood that is as long as a sheet of 60 grit and use it as a sanding plane-it will straighten out your lines on the forearm and any flat area on the design.

Steve Corcoran

Thanks for the encouragement. Now I am also a bit apprehensive of the finish. I ordered some tru oil but after some more reading I have heard mixed reviews. I want the grain to pop but I dont want tru oil to tint or muddy the colors of the laminate. Would I be better off going with a wipe on poly? Ughhh. At least I am learning new stuff I guess. Has anyone tried tru oil on a colored laminate?

Hey Nick, That is really looking fine. I would love to see your final product. Maybe you have some video you can share. I'm many people would love to see how you did it. 

All the Best

Stephen

Thanks! I haven't made any video of the process but a bunch of photos. I went at it lose. I pretty much shaped as I went. All I used was jigsaw, angle grinder, a couple of rasps, and tons of sandpaper. I'm torn on how to finish and afraid tru oil might gunk up the purple. Any suggestions?

Mini Wax Antique Oil Finish. It's easy to work with, is pretty forgiving and easy to repair down the round. Depending on how deep you want the finish to look dictates how many coats to apply. I typically do 10-12 for a nice deep satin sheen.

When making your transfer screws, put them in a hand drill and spin it up while grinding a point. It will get s pretty decently centered point.

Mini Wax Antique Oil Finish. It's easy to work with, is pretty forgiving and easy to repair down the round. Depending on how deep you want the finish to look dictates how many coats to apply. I typically do 10-12 for a nice deep satin sheen.

When making your transfer screws, put them in a hand drill and spin it up while grinding a point. It will get s pretty decently centered point.

+1 on the minwax antique oil finish. I've finished probably 10 stocks with it, from beech to laminate and walnut. When done correctly, it brings out the grain very well, and provides a long lasting finish. I won't use anything else, but I don't like glossy gun stocks. I use steel wool between coats, and 4-6 coats is usually good for me.