New springer bedding in process.

I am looking to do things right with my new baby. Christmas will allow some free time to do some shooting. I was advised to shoot atleast 1500 rounds or so before considering opening up my weihrauch hw77k to do any modifications. I have on order a tin bum tuning kit and a vortek pg4 HO kit. With moly26 piston seal. 2 of each piston seals from customairseals australia 2 moly infused 26s and 2 green parachute. And one blue breech seal. Along with samples of their moly. And air venturi moly. And tube of Krytox.! ( getting a 97 soon. Deciding on caliber atm) that's why all the seals

Now to the point. Should I in fact allow the factory lubrication and that hideous steel stock spring guide ( is that right? 4 feet with a tube ontop) to "BED IN"? Or should I get her tuned up asap? To prevent hopefully, any galling or internal damages.

Ooh it is coming lol. I have seen the results of a well tuned springer , and desperately want the twang gone. And be Welcome to the THUD CLUB. I hope I just coined a phrase there. I am not looking for any power, just accuracy. From all I have read to maximize that will evolve some DE_tuning. From the current fpe to around 12. Which will be hard to do after all I am American car guy who loves power! 

All have their different theory on this. Some shoot bone stock and will never touch it til something goes wrong, some will rip into a new rifle right away. I am one of those people. I will run a 20 shot string just for stock comparisons. Many will say that’s not enough. But for me it is. The only rifle that went past the first 20 was my HW50. And that was only because the kit didn’t arrive in time. Put a full tin of pellets through it over a weekend and I’d say between 80-100 shots it did start settling in and dieseling was all but gone. The final 50 or so rounds she went limp. The seal was torched. 

Good luck with which way you plan to go and keep us all updated. 

I would clean the barrel, and shoot it just enough to see if the accuracy is promising. ESPECIALLY if it's a .22, as I have found them to be a crapshoot at best. 

If accuracy looks good and nothing bugs you about the gun, open it up. 

I have never understood why people insist on "bedding in" a new springer before opening it. What are they hoping to accomplish? The twang diminishes slightly because the spring gets a big cant to it and stops rattling as much. It quits dieseling so much because it burns off most of the lube in front of the piston seal. 

Both of those things are fixed immediately with a tune. 

If it don't shoot or feel like a total turd, open it up. At least adjust the creep out of the trigger immediately. 

FYI: the guide is plastic with a steel base washer. They haven't been steel in a loooong time. 

Good choice on the 77K. Best and most universal rifle ever made in .177

Reactions: jimk1963
Thank you guys. I did a LoT of homework before deciding on the gun. Keep the advices coming please. 

It is a .177 and so far the accuracy is amazing. I have the original chronograph readout / picture of basically pellet on pellet 5 shot string test, from airguns of Arizona. 11 fps variation.

It appears I "got a good one".

I'm confident in the .177s. No better guns ever made. Tune it and you'll love it for a long time. I've got around 4 at the moment. All mine are old ones from the 80s and I've yet to wear one out. 

20211224_164558.1640382389.jpg
20211224_164252.1640382203.jpg
20211224_164241.1640382205.jpg

I'll try to get some better pics in the daylight. It really is a stunning artwork

Very nice looking! Congratulations.

I have two 97's and opened them both up pretty much out of the box. I knew that is what I wanted to do so I saw no reason to wait. I don't understand why you would need or want to shoot one for "X" number of rounds to then just take it apart and go through it. Don't see what that would accomplish really. I fired my first one maybe two or three times just to check function and that was after cleaning the barrel. The second one that I just recently opened up, I never shot it once. 

Why take a chance that something bad might be going on inside?? Take some shots, however many you want to be sure it functions OK. Then open it up, no reason to wait, I have saw new guns full of metal chips waiting to gauld up the insides. Same with sharp edges and other ugly things. Get that factory goop out and get good lubes in there to make it the best it can be!!!

I say this,if it shoots good and is not twangy leave it alone,and it gets better with time.

Being happy,that is the ticket......in time you will properly tune it anyway...shoot it now.

I have "tuned" many of my springers,some because they got wore out,some because I wanted to tune them down,never because I wanted more power.

Your springer is beautiful....I got the black plastic one,sort-of-heavy,sure shoots good...

My new HW95L was NOT shooting up to my expectations so I opted to install an ARH kit and a Vortek seal per recommendations from others on this and the GTA forum. I believe that my problem was caused by the Weihrauch factory having to use inexperienced folks due to the China Virus. I believe these folks over oiled/greased the production rifles and this caused dieseling during the shot cycle. My .22 was running in the low 600 fps before the kit install and shot pattern was all over the target. This is the seal that I believe was the root of my accuracy problem.

4-30-2021 piston seal.1640473217.jpg

I also did a through clean with break fluid and polished the piston, cylinder, cocking shoe and any other areas that I could get access to. I re-lubed with GPL-205 and the rifle mow shoots in the low 700 FPS, (716), and I can keep MOST groups within 1" to1.5" at 25 yards. This is one of my best groups so far which is 5 at 25.

4-5-2021 Best Group 5 shots.1640473548.jpg

I highly recommend the ARH kit along with a Vortek seal if you plan on working on your HW pellet rifle. Good luck to all.

I say this,if it shoots good and is not twangy leave it alone,and it gets better with time.

Being happy,that is the ticket......in time you will properly tune it anyway...shoot it now.

I have "tuned" many of my springers,some because they got wore out,some because I wanted to tune them down,never because I wanted more power.

Your springer is beautiful....I got the black plastic one,sort-of-heavy,sure shoots good...

" I say this,if it shoots good and is not twangy leave it alone,and it gets better with time."

Ditto !

My new HW95L was NOT shooting up to my expectations so I opted to install an ARH kit and a Vortek seal per recommendations from others on this and the GTA forum. I believe that my problem was caused by the Weihrauch factory having to use inexperienced folks due to the China Virus. I believe these folks over oiled/greased the production rifles and this caused dieseling during the shot cycle. My .22 was running in the low 600 fps before the kit install and shot pattern was all over the target. This is the seal that I believe was the root of my accuracy problem.

4-30-2021 piston seal.1640473217.jpg
//www.w3.org/2000/svg%22%20viewBox=%220%200%20210%20140%22%3E%3C/svg%3E

I also did a through clean with break fluid and polished the piston, cylinder, cocking shoe and any other areas that I could get access to. I re-lubed with GPL-205 and the rifle mow shoots in the low 700 FPS, (716), and I can keep MOST groups within 1" to1.5" at 25 yards. This is one of my best groups so far which is 5 at 25.

4-5-2021 Best Group 5 shots.1640473548.jpg
//www.w3.org/2000/svg%22%20viewBox=%220%200%20210%20140%22%3E%3C/svg%3E

I highly recommend the ARH kit along with a Vortek seal if you plan on working on your HW pellet rifle. Good luck to all.

WoW that is one melted factory seal. I've seen a few worn out seals. But that baby looks like someone thought it was a marshmallow , and just cooked it on a fire 🔥pit. I'm glad you got that sorted brother.

Air rifle head quarters got the goods. I got some seals there years back. They did me right. As s matter of fact this is what came out of the old Chinese plinker, put a conversion kit in it. 
16404849802595708574750139827145.1640485010.jpg