Tuning New spring compressor

I decided to build a new spring compressor, to accommodate break barrell or fixed barrel springers. And a few shims to adjust length. A couple zip ties to keep the compression tube in place and safe.

20240213_120851.jpg

20240213_121014.jpg

Last edited:
I built something similar for installing a hornet spring in my 97K, it was dicey going in but managed to get it in without killin myself. Since then I took it apart because I'm using shorter light wire JM springs with little pre load. I can take them apart and install with just my hands.
I space them up for the power I want.

The long thick wire springs can be dangerous when compressed so be careful.

Reactions: .20calguy
I can't join two pieces of wood to save my bacon but I can cut steel close enough to fill in the gaps with bad welding, lol. Boredom made me make this. Most of my spring guns are HW with screw on steel end caps so need room (red arrow) for my hand and fingers to grasp and screw/unscrew caps. will add rubber to contact points and use a couple of zip ties under the angle iron "cradle" to keep compression tube in place. Used a long piece of all-thread so I'll never worry about running out of travel trying to get a long main spring all the way in. Will secure in a vice. Haven't tried it yet, hope it works. Will need to be careful to prevent metal to metal contact between gun and the rest. Wood is a way safer material for this.

spring compressor.jpg

Reactions: .20calguy
I got this one many years ago from a GTA member, whos name I forget.
Designed to be assembled on a piece of UniStrut.
20240215_103326.jpg

End stop block and both support blocks are adjustable in position to accommodate different rifles lengths and compression tube set ups.
20240215_103343.jpg

20240215_103442.jpg

I have several different bushings made to fit the end of the T handle to accommodate the many different compression tube end plugs I have worked with.

I use a lathe for this, but you don’t really need a complete lathe ….

You can get an old Atlas 618 or Craftsman 101 lathe bed on EBay ( these are the little 6” lathes), two tailstocks, and a steady rest. Trap your parts between the two tailstocks (one at each end of the bed), and through the steady rest (somewhere in the middle of the bed). Now you can crank the tailstock quills in and out to compress / uncompress your springs.

Here's mine. It's a Groz sash clamp that I bought on the unmentionable auction site. Covered the clamp with a swim and also I use a zip tie to secure the action for safety sake. Got me som self adhering felt pads as shown. Secured the contraption to a 2X4 as shown. Very simple , very easy, and cheap too! Works like a charm and super adjustable for under levers and break barrels.
springcompresser4.jpg
spring compresser3.jpg
springcompresser2.jpg
Spring compresser1.jpg

Reactions: borne2fly
This is my CDT spring compressor copy - $20 in parts + scrap wood laying around in the garage.
CDT = Charlie D-Tuna (GTA).

View attachment 442919
I see you have a lathe in the background. Have you used it for compressing springs? I see your wood compressor has a ring in the center, and this would be akin to a steady rest on the lathe …

I see you have a lathe in the background. Have you used it for compressing springs? I see your wood compressor has a ring in the center, and this would be akin to a steady rest on the lathe …
No, the lathe is attached to the bench and the Spring Compressor was placed on the bench - just to take the Pic.

The ring limits the airgun, receiver movement while compressing the spring -> I pad the wood underneath and the ring above the receiver to eliminate any damage to the gun. Scratching the gun is a Killer to me .......