New SPA Artemis PP750

"Would you be willing to post the dimensions on the cheek rest for the 750 so one of the 3-D printers could cook up a batch for sale for those of us without your skills and equipment?"  

In response to a well-known (and well-loved) forum poster who private-messaged me, I'll share the basics of my custom PP750 cheekpiece; so someone with a 3D printer can reproduce a functional equivalent. 

The short answer for those looking for simple functionality is, "Yes. The block is approximately 4.5" long, by 1.75" wide, by 1.25" thick. The rods are exactly 6mm thick, and spaced exactly 27mm apart." But for anyone interested in more information, I should qualify the answer above with the fact that my cheekpiece was custom built to my preferences.

Those preferences-

1) Just large enough to cradle my cheek like a soft, young, inner-thigh; at least as well as (distant) memory(s) serve me.

2) In that spirit, incorporating swoopy, SEXY lines (see #1 above).

3) Continuing in aforementioned 'spirit', a 'warm' wood species with attractivelypsychotic personality (see numbers 1 & 2 above; particularly "as well as (distant) memory(s) serve me").

4) Lacking a 6mm drill bit, I used the next larger-diameter, 1/4" bit.

5) In order to insure the oversize holes did not allow the cheekpiece to slide fore and aft without my wanting it to, I spaced the holes slightly wider than the rod spacing; about 2 RCHs wider (again "as well as (distant) memory(s) serve me").

6) Luckily in that regard, I achieved the non-free-sliding, wedge-fit I had in mind. ("Everybody loves a tight fit!")

Here's a close-up of Victoria Principal's inner thigh... er, I mean, my cheek-piece-

1590178494_17212126875ec832be2f8241.56103639.jpg

WB,

Assuming the delay is to correct the same issue I had from the get-go on my PP750 (received about a month ago from an overseas source), SPA might be having to disassemble pistols they had ready to ship all the way down to the firing valve; to retrofit them with a heavier-duty plastic piece like the one sent me that corrected my issue. If that's the case, my PP has been fine ever since I installed the obviously-stronger replacement. BTW, THIS THING IS AWESOME!

1589745795_21334669335ec19883ce48d3.63673378.jpg

I like the cheek piece, but I'm wondering how you are dealing with the wire stock. It's pretty for anything but the lightest of holds. It's stable up and down and side to side, but it's very susceptible to torsion forces and twists in a wiry kinda way. It looks like the cheek piece would help with that a bit.

To mirror what a few others have said, if someone can make up a bunch of these I would most likely buy one. I think the best design would be a top and bottom piece that squeeze and hold the stock wires tight. 

Although, at the end of the day, I'd much prefer an AR buffer tube adapter for its stability.

My cheekpiece stiffened the 'wire' shoulder-stock enough to render that a non-issue. 

Though almost totally ignorant about 3D printing, I'd think a two-piece design would complicate matters. That said, understand that one of my credos is, "Simplicity is the hallmark of good design".

However if One was to go with a two-piece design, I'd think it wouldn't be too difficult to also incorporate some kind of adjustable-height feature.

My take on one vs. two pieces...

I'll find the right position for the cheek rest and put a dab of clear silicone on the inside grooves. Removable, resersible, invisible, functional, and cheap.

I don't want the cheek piece sliding back and forth unless there is some kind of lock-in-place mechanism involved and that just complicates matters. This little beast is a tiny carbine in disguise, and I intend to leave the butt piece extended.

Your mileage may vary, but at least you now have the advantage of my priceless wisdom! Everyone should be so lucky.

Kindly 'Ol Uncle Hoot

Today's sage wisdom: ¡Nunca orines en el viento!

Any word on our 3-D guru's coming up with a plan for cheek rests? Perhaps we need to post in another section to get their attention, probably not many of them wander over here.

Hoot

"I got snakes, turtles, 'dillo's, 'coons, squirrels, and possum crawling out of my bung hole! I've a good notion to send President Xi a strongly worded email regarding his marketing and shipping practices. When that 750 arrives, the streets will run red with blood from dead and wounded critters. The dictionaries will have to change their definition off the word "Gore"!!! I'll likely spend some prison time for being a bloody nuisance. " 

I've been watching and waiting...watching and waiting....how about some "Before-Market-Product" ideas.

AirNgasman has a simple "snap-on" cheek piece made of exotic wood for the extendable butt-stock. WHAT IF....some 3-D printer genius made up a bunch of similar cheek rests to sell at a small profit to the rest of us with five thumbs and Peyronie's disease? Most of us can't carve, or don't have the machines to shape and cut anyway.

Where's Pappy-Yost when you need him?

My 750 is ordered and I expect sometime in June it will arrive. I'd certainly have a use for that cheek piece, which seems ideal made from the 3-D plastics available!

Hoot

hi I’m interested in picking one of these up, where did you order from? I haven’t seen anywhere I can even backorder one. 

Any word on our 3-D guru's coming up with a plan for cheek rests? Perhaps we need to post in another section to get their attention, probably not many of them wander over here.

Hoot

"I got snakes, turtles, 'dillo's, 'coons, squirrels, and possum crawling out of my bung hole! I've a good notion to send President Xi a strongly worded email regarding his marketing and shipping practices. When that 750 arrives, the streets will run red with blood from dead and wounded critters. The dictionaries will have to change their definition off the word "Gore"!!! I'll likely spend some prison time for being a bloody nuisance. " 

I just received an update from UPS that my 3D printer is finally in transit. So hopefully I'll get it this week. Right now I'm rearranging one of my work rooms to set up the printer as soon as it gets here. After that I'll get a design for a cheek rest done so I can do a test print.

Reactions: Hepotter
1st Pass. Will need to work out a few details but it's a rough start. Height, length, radius dimensions, etc are just thrown in there. Once I get my PP750 I'll flesh out the details. Will probably spit in half to mount then detail the front end so it nests properly into the end of the gun so it matches up well when the stock is closed.

ETA: This was originally drawn up with the idea of it being a floating solution. Now that I'm looking at Yo's Home depot solution I think blending it into the rear stock and having it butt against the stock with a smooth transition might be a better idea.

As much as i think I might have been the one that started this thread. I have to say that I have been VERY disappointed with this little gun. First off all the baffles were not in the gun. I received a blow up form Wes and all the baffles were not in the gun. Second the strength if the side posts that hold the Metal bars for the stock on the gun are very easy to break, Probably because the bars can easily twist as you use the gun. I attempted to send the gun to Wes for service but the gun was declined at the Border by Canada officials. You get what you pay for I guess. I managed to fix the side mount for the bar by JB welding it as I was afraid that the other side wold break off, This of course left me with a stock that can not be retracted. All in all with the availabiltiy of NO ONE to service the gun. the fragility of the parts this is not a good investment. Sadly I am with a gun that breaks the side posts easy and no wat to service the gun.. Also I found myself with a gun that after a very short time the trigger would no longer stay in place. The trigger would just fall forward. Th thought that maybe a spring ws missing afte several uses. NO there is a very small thin white piece of plastic bar that keeps the trigger from falling forward. That broke, and I managed to replace it with a spungy piece of plastic that I took from the outside of a pen. Again not being able to get harts and the fact that this piece was actually pressed into the prt of the gun leaves this very easy broke, Trust me here I have Daystates, Air Arms and other guns that work for years. This little gun is basically a bad investment. especially when you can not get it serviced. You will surely experience the same problems.

I will have some parts soon and will get more once I get my hands on a pistol and get a better idea of its weak points. My apologies about the border problem, that was unfortunate. It slipped my mind about the European gun being rated at more than 500fps and with the advertised velocity on the box being 550 for 22 cal, the customs agent would have seen that and sent it back. That should not be an issue with the Canadian pistols. 

Veradium air is a great custom shop and repair shop in the USA, and I'll offer parts to him once I have, and I can provide parts support or have guns returned to me for warranty repair as well. These Artemis guns are mostly pretty simple to work on so hopefully most guys will just need a bit of parts support if they need anything. 

I hope to have the silencer adapters for sale as well soon(not the actual silencer but the adapter with 1/2"unf threads) , for American customers (no silencers allowed in Canada). 

Thanks, ship left last weekend, due in port here in ten days! 

Dear Ronbit,

No, I don't believe you started this thread...reference page 1, first post.

You are comparing a $250 Chinese gun to expensive European guns...expect some plastic, and handle accordingly.

We can't blame Wes for Canadian postal regulations, last I heard he wasn't in charge. This is a new model gun, and new guns ALL have some greater or lessor flaws that will be found and corrected over time. Regardless of brand name...there's always room for improvement somewhere.

You may correctly assume this little carbine isn't built for clubbing wild boar to death, driving nails, or for use as an emergency car jack handle.

It's predecessor, the 700 proved to perform WAY above its expected power, accuracy, function for a $200+ quality of build, and we made improvements to it in our home shops. The 750 will likely benefit from user improvements. If and when any weaknesses are found, as the gun is heavily used, I guarantee you SOMEONE on this forum will find a fix!

Be patient, handle with reasonable care, and the gun will outperform your expectations. Otherwise, spend $1000 to $1500+ for a big name pistol, and beat the living hell out of it as you feel the need.  (caution: they will break as well)

Wes will take care of the follow up details for maintenance and repairs. He's never let us down, and keeps us posted on developments.

Regards,

Kindly 'Ol Uncle Hoot

...The trigger would just fall forward. Th thought that maybe a spring ws missing afte several uses. NO there is a very small thin white piece of plastic bar that keeps the trigger from falling forward. That broke, and I managed to replace it with a spungy piece of plastic that I took from the outside of a pen. Again not being able to get harts and the fact that this piece was actually pressed into the prt of the gun leaves this very easy broke, Trust me here I have Daystates, Air Arms and other guns that work for years. This little gun is basically a bad investment. especially when you can not get it serviced. You will surely experience the same problems.

There is no "thin white piece of plastic bar" that holds the trigger forward. It is a metal coil spring providing that force, common to most trigger configurations.

I have not experienced any of the problems you described. I have managed to make and solve my own problems with this pistol.