New source for STEYR's!

AZ...it appears that the Steyrs are not even shrouded so imagine that they sound like a 22 rim fire at the higher powers? Is there any way to even install a moderator?

A Steyr is on my wish list after the Daystate AirWolf that I just purchased a few months back but the sound level concerns me.

thanks...

AJ

AZ:

I appreciate the reply. You sure seem to be knowledgeable with these rifles. For me, a .25 Steyr Hunting Auto or .25 Anschutz Black Air Hunter rifle shooting the JSB 33.95 gr MKII pellets at 900 fps would be my dream rifle. I am an "off the shelf kinda guy" and tend to keep my rifles un modified as best as possible, I certainly don't have the knowledge, skills, or tools to convert one of these rifles into a .25 and most certainly end up broke to boot. It seems like Anschutz NA have their heads on straight and they seem to be open to special custom spec rifles, at least in their firearms line. I will call them to see what they say about the possibility of getting a Steyr or Anschutz in a .25.

Anschutz NA are clear in stating they are trying to increase the popularity of the Steyr brand in the US market which is exciting to hear. That said, they would be wise in working with both Anschutz and Steyr to get them to expand their offerings in larger bores such as the .25 and .30. I think the ,25 is the sweet spot for pellet calibers as it is a perfect hunting and target shooting pellet. The cost and availability is reasonable as well, especially compared to the .30 which I also like but can be costly if you shoot a lot.

Scott

PS - Did you intend to include a photo in your previous post?

I purchased a Steyr LG-110 HP Hunting in 177. It provided ca 18 FT lb at the factory setting. Indoor accuracy was excellent but those tiny pellets do suffer a bit with the wind outdoors. I recently fitted a Lothar Walther barrel in 22 which gave me 780 fps with the JSB 15.9 gr pellet for ca 21 ft lb. Those 22 cal pellets do a better job of bucking the wind and still provides ca 60 shots per fill. The same gun in the 30 FT lb version provides only 24 shots per fill. In 25 cal I would imagine that the number of shots would be quite limited.

On the plus side the Steyr has a superb trigger and very simple system for changing barrels without the need for a new probe. On the minus side it is quite noisy without a suppressor. The factory does make an adapter which fits on the end of the barrel. Of the guns I own the Steyr has the finest mechanical trigger. I even prefer it to the electronic one in my Airwolf.

None of you'll are telling folks about temp related POI shifts ( severe ) with the LG models or any of several other fairly severe problems. Heck a new comer could think if they just spend THAT much there good to go out of the box.
They do have a good trigger and if your in the advanced airsmith club not a thing that cant be fixed - access to the entire Syeyr inventory to sort good & bad parts would help also-.

Always nice to have more options though.

John

Steyr rifles, because of their high price and reputation, are rightfully held to a higher standard.
From the factory, LG100/110 barrels are soft coupled to the frame by an adjustable plastic damper. Steyr barrels can be easily free floated by removing this plug, and removing two pressure points in the forward frame with a file or Dremel. This is a very common mod to correct wandering POI. Also, Steyr barrels can have a problem with nickel coating on the bore interior, causing excessive fouling. This can be shot out over time with frequent barrel cleaning. Other than that, the Steyr LG100/110 is a very well engineered , carefully constructed, modular, light weight air rifle designed for precision shooting. More than you'll ever want to know about Steyrs can be found on the "shootingthebreeze" website.
I have never heard of a problem with the quality of Steyr parts, which are easily obtained from Europe. It is a pretty expensive gun, but it retains its value on the used market. I like my LG110 HP a lot!