New slugs Altaros ATP Queen .25 60g - BC 0.245 - suitable for FX Panthera magazine

Hey looks who is here. Thanks Orion. Are you able to make it so the mags can hold a 14mm slug? I sanded down the lip on the cap to make it work for me?
I think so! I’ll check tomorrow the design but I was able to make a lid for the Maverick that works with 40gr slugs and the Panthera lid has more space that I can reduce a bit. Send me a private to keep talking about this over there, really don’t want to hijack the thread

Well I got my 60gr .25 Queens Monday so speed in delivery has gone a lot faster (only 6 Days!) Totally quicker than in the past! So I'm very happy with that. But still a bit pricey to buy a large amount of.
20230310_155403.jpg

I had taken today off and worked my butt off during the week so I would not stress over the lost hours. Well I kind of overdid it 🤪 and could not go to the range today besides it is raining pretty good, but I was able to check and see that I am able to get 909 fps out of my 700mm .25 barrel at home. So hopefully I will be able to dial back from that speed this Monday and get some decent shots. Just hope the rain stays away long enough to do some nice testing. Oops forgot, it will be kind of doubtful we will be allowed to drive up the hill especially past 200 yard line especially if it is muddy. Well, one thing at a time!

And full disclosure, my mk2 impact is not stock. I run higher reg pressure (170+), have a power plenum, power block, huma reg, tungsten hammer, and I use a pin probe.

Allen

Last edited:
Well... I guess I should have stayed at the shorter distances rather than to zero and start shooting at 300 and 400 yards. I probably would not have wasted so many slugs. I could not get these to work today. I dunno why. I will see if I can try again in a couple weeks. Maybe I should get some 50 gr as well so I can at least go to those if things go south. The 22 40 gr kings worked great and I had some awesome tiny groups all the way passed 300 yards. Today the 25 60gr queens did nothing but frustrated me.

Allen

To Healthservices,
could you please add a little more information.
Have you tried shorter distances than just 300-400yr?
The barrel was superior heavy 700mm .25 ?
Did you try lower speeds or was everything at 909fps?
Is the barrel preloaded (carbon slave) or classic for M3?

thank you in advance for adding information.

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
Yes, I want to try those also, but will need to bump up the power on my .25 Panther 600mm (Superior Heavy). I'm currently shooting the 49.5 grain BTs, and they are shooting very well. I shot out to 152 yards this past Sunday in very windy conditions, and they did fine, and didn't drift much at all. I kept holding off like I normally would with the 43.5 NSA and the slug kept going straight!!! I even got a snapshot at a ground squirrel at 143 yards and connected first shot. I think at my current tune the Queens would shoot around 800 fps (86 FPE). I can crank up the gun more, but it gets a little "jumpy" and harder to shoot over 90 FPE, and I'd need to go over 100 FPE to get to 850+ fps.

Last edited:
To Healthservices,
could you please add a little more information.
Have you tried shorter distances than just 300-400yr?
The barrel was superior heavy 700mm .25 ?
Did you try lower speeds or was everything at 909fps?
Is the barrel preloaded (carbon slave) or classic for M3?

thank you in advance for adding information.
For some reason after getting into my fx addiction I only tried two 25 cal barrels in 600 then i stopped playing with 25 cal. So when I found out about the 67 gr I ended up with buying a bunch of 60 for fit and the possibility of shooting them at a decent speed for long distance. So I grab one of my 22 700 barrels, pulled the kit off of the 600 mm 25 cal and got a brand new superior heavy I got from Joe. I do not have a carbon liner in it yet but it is ordered. I also found a older huma dual hole transfer port. Barrel not tensioned, since I do not tension the barrels anymore. I shot from 900 down to 930 fps. As mentioned I will most likely go out in 2 weeks to give it a go again. After bringing it home I pulled the barrel to clean. Nothing looked unusual.

20230313_170539.jpg

Allen

I waited a long time for Krale to have a stock a 700mm .25. I buy all barrel at that Krale under the shop name Superior Heavy. I just checked and found this.
photo_2023-03-16_09-31-28.jpg

photo_2023-03-16_09-38-48.jpg

Either Krale made a mistake with the order, or my FX makes a big mess of markings or barrel types.

Both have a twist of 1:18, but who knows what is actually what.

I don't know how inaccurate they were, or what was going on, but unless it was a supported barrel, I don't think such a ridiculously thin tube could stay stable at this power and slug weight.
I will receive a barrel from a Czech manufacturer by the end of the week and they will be classic barrels with an outer diameter of 20mm (0.8 inches). We'll see how they do on target.
Thin barrels can also be used, but cannot be supported by an o-ring, but must be tight with a large diameter outer guide. That's my opinion, but in the confusion of the FX barrel type, it's really hard to judge what he did differently.

From my research the one that just says slug is the better most recent one and the one that say superior slug is not. But since you have both you can test. Or send the one that says slug to me. I will buy from you.

I have also read the 20206 is better than both the 20659 versions but I am still early in my research and have not actually compared them myself.

Allen.

Last edited:
I am currently testing these FX STX slug barrels. It seems that for .25 this barrel it will be more appropriate to make either the ATP King or Queen variant without a groove or to increase the diameter of the slug, as these slugs were always not stable .
But when I took the narrowed ATP King without the relief groove, everything worked fine.
I have to test the second one because I found out earlier that the FX has a whole lot of internal diameter differences between the barrels.

I would like to ask how much the FX Panther can achieve in the base and how much with all the improvements (tungsten hammer, etc.) on .22 and .25 ( regardless of accuracy or air consumption) ?

What speeds have you tested that work well?

Because depending on the speed. A stock impact with at least 700mm maybe able to push them. I say that because with the looser fit they maynot get enough contact to get enough spin? For example my 500mm 22 would not work at all with the Altaros 32.3 slug. But it had the same twist rate as the 600, 700 and the 600 and 700 had great results. And I easily could get them to go 870 fps in the 500mm with just a huma V2 transfer port and a pin probe.

I do have a basically stock impact mark two. I can try to get you some numbers in the next couple of days for how fast I can get it to come out a 600 and a 700 mm barrel. Of course you are looking for info on a Panthera.

Allen

Last edited:
Boy, I really want these 60 gr Queens to work at 900 fps in my 700mm but they did not work with my earlier testing in a 700mm FX Superior Slug 20659. Coming into the weekend I remembered I had a old Slug A barrel in 600mm. I slapped that in my Ernest gun and got so so performance at 23 and 34 yards at home. I figure it was better than the 700mm performance I had the other week so I would take it on my range day. It did not do so good. About the best I could do was this at 100 yards

Screenshot_20230327_135031_Photos.jpg

So of course the further you go out the worse it got. I was trying different speeds but I could not get below 850 very well without issues. Today I picked up a couple 600mm carbonfiber sleeves for the 700 to try but after reading the info that alteros mentioned above I could at least see what a stock mk2 could do as i kind of wondered what speed could i achieve with a stock mk2? Well the best speed I could get was about 765fps this is with a 25cal/Altaros 60gr queen/600mm/old slug a liner/stock mk2 / huma V2/ pin probe/ reg at 145. But more importantly the slugs are totally Stacking it in the yard at those speeds! Now I really want to go back out but maybe bump up the mk2 with a power block and power plenum 720, or a heavier weight hammer as I think this is maxed out speed wise for the hammer weight and reg pressure. Why is this so amazing to me? Well it's doing the same thing as the 22 cal 32.3 grain alteros slugs did at home (stacking them at short distances) and when i took it to the range they continued to stack them! Too bad I spent so much time on the 60 gr Queens Monday as they were not going to do anything for me at the range. But before I left there wasn't much time but I fired the .22 cal 32.3 alteros and got these at 100 yards. There was one flier in this group outside of the group you see.

Ballistic-X-Export-2023-03-28 00_55_55.537162.jpg

But since I was in a hurry to make a Dr appt back closer to home I was rushing it. Basically the gun was totally out shooting me at this point It was shooting where I was pointing.

Ballistic-X-Export-2023-03-28 22_07_58.214195.jpg

Please Note again these two pictures above are not the 60gr Queens but some 32.3 gr Altaros in 22mm that I had some good luck testing at home. I uploaded what video I had of this, shaking a bit as i did not have enough height left in the rear bag. Turn volume down as there is powder burners shooting. Picture is reverse of above as it is from my sideshot cam which flips the image over.

I just hope I can get the 60gr to do the same and further out!

Allen

Last edited:
What speeds have you tested that work well?

Because depending on the speed. A stock impact with at least 700mm maybe able to push them. I say that because with the looser fit they maynot get enough contact to get enough spin? For example my 500mm 22 would not work at all with the Altaros 32.3 slug. But it had the same twist rate as the 600, 700 and the 600 and 700 had great results. And I easily could get them to go 870 fps in the 500mm with just a huma V2 transfer port and a pin probe.

I do have a basically stock impact mark two. I can try to get you some numbers in the next couple of days for how fast I can get it to come out a 600 and a 700 mm barrel. Of course you are looking for info on a Panthera.

Allen
I didn't have full power. Velocity for the ATP King .25 66gr was 271.2 m/s - 889 fps
I've only had a shot so far in our test tunnel and this was the best shot at 40 yards 6x shots
photo_2023-03-24_17-49-18.jpg

But as he writes, I know from practice that what works/doesn't work at short distances behaves the same way at long ones.

Just as an FYI ... Measuring the SKOUT EPOCH mags we have @ .55" or @ 14mm allowable length. ( .30 cal mag ) tho smaller calibers once released I don't see changing in this space regard :unsure:

By specs the KING in .25 will just fit ... or will it ?
ATP King have 13.9mm long so they should fit in the magazine.

Reactions: Healthservices
to Allen,
nice video. I would like to say which FX barrel works 100%, but I am not able to orient myself because there are so many types of versions, that's why I like LW, I change the diameter of the slug as much as possible, but I know it works.
FX also fugue very well, but not all of them and often there is a problem even between the same types when the dimension is simply a little bigger.

Reactions: Centercut