New Sig ASP20 ..Not impressed so far

So I have been getting back into springers lately. I am spoiled for choice because I have a Nitrocrusher tuned Pro-Sport and whenever Fedex get's here I will have a Nitrocrusher tuned TX200HC. OK, I know the Sig is not in the same class, but so far I am really unimpressed with how the rifle came out of the box. First off, there was a nick in the forestock that I can live with, but it is disappointing. Certainly didn't happen in shipping because the box Sig provides is the best I've seen. But the beech stock seems to show big fingerprint marks everywhere you touch it. Breaking the barrel is VERY stiff. Ok, I expect that will loosen up a bit with use and it is not a deal breaker. The trigger however is HORRIBLE!!! Heavy, draggy first stage with a very indistinct wall for the second stage which is light enough, but the distinction between the first and second stage is so vague that you really don't know when the gun is going to fire.

I haven't even mounted optics yet, but I will this weekend. I do very much like the welded on picatinny rail and I'm sure there won't be any scope mount movement. Once I get a scope on here and shoot some groups, it better be darned accurate at 40 yards for me to keep it. The trigger is going to be what holds it back and the trigger is one of the main reasons I chose this gun. Is there a way to lighten the first stage and get a well defined wall for the start of the second stage? I don't really want the second stage heavier, but that first stage really is dreadful.

So this morning before work I mounted a scope on the new Sig and found something else to b!+@h about. So Sig, if you're going to design a rifle without open sights, why in the world would you put it in a stock with a low comb which would only be useful if you had open sights?? I prefer an air rifle without open sights, so fair enough there, but even with a somewhat low mounted 44mm scope I cannot get a good cheek weld and still be able to see through the scope properly. Now don't get me wrong. I love Sig Sauer. I have two sig handguns, a sig 400 Ar15 and a Sig 522 rimfire that I love, but I wonder about all the positive press this gun has received and no one else has had any of these reservations about the rifle.

I'm stuck at work at the moment and the weekend is going to be poor weather, so I don't know when I will actually get to start shooting at some targets. I do so hope that when I do, these niggling complaints will fade into the background as the rifle's accuracy blows them all away. Here's hoping!

The fingerprints will stop once you get whatever oil they put on it for packing wiped off. I haven't found a spring piston air rifle yet with a proper comb height, so I don't understand your complaint about that. The trigger is adjustable to a limit and the screwdriver to do so is included in the box. It isn't a match trigger, but more than good enough to hunt with. Mine is accurate as I can be, the only issue I had with it is elevated field targets in the trees. Mine prefers an artillery hold and when I try to shoot elevated targets, the weight of the rifle against my shoulder causes a change if impact.

My trigger is what I would call very good. Measures less than 2 lb. and the first stage is about 1 1/2 lbs. with a distinct stop. Mine has been a lot more accurate than I expected. Have had several 1/2" groups @ 50 and a couple of 1" @ 75. Maybe I was just blessed but so far and very satisfied. The AA 16 gr. has been my best ammo so far. Hope all turns out well with yours also. Only pic that I saved @ 50yds.

Don
1554997729_4767592865caf61e1ce5eb1.97861200_Sig 5 shot .666 group.jpg

I will try and address most of your grievances you bring up.

I never noticed any fingerprint smudging problem on my stock. Ever !!

Rumor has it that the synthetic stock version might have an adjustable comb. I originally ordered a synthetic stock version back in October of 2018. I changed the order to a wood stock because of the delay in Sig's releasing the synthetic version. Still don't know why they haven't come out yet.

The sound report is typical of any gas-spring break barrel I have owned. I shoot mine in the back yard of my condominium ( chrony testing) and haven't had any knocks on my door yet. To me, the rifles noise is not that bad.

I adjusted the long first stage creep out of my trigger. Now I just squeeze the minimal creep out until I feel it hit the wall. Then I take a breath, gently exhale a portion of that breath, relax and then fire. This has helped my accuracy. Learning the feel of the trigger and when it will fire. I've also adjusted the second stage to be lighter than it was from the factory. My suggestion is to adjust the second stage before you scope the rifle. You can do it with the scope on but it's a little trickier. It's not a match trigger, but it's quite good, in my opinion.

Breaking the barrel is a little more work then on some break barrels I have owned. I find it easier to place my left hand (I'm a right handed shooter) high up on the forearm. Towards the end. If your hand is to far down on the forearm the gun will move away from you when you rap the end of the barrel with your other hand. It's all about improving leverage in order to break the action. I've gotten use to it now since I figured this out.

The accuracy will blow you away for a break barrel once you figure out which pellets it likes. Don's (VETTNUT) test above should demonstrate that to you.

My trigger is what I would call very good. Measures less than 2 lb. and the first stage is about 1 1/2 lbs. with a distinct stop. Mine has been a lot more accurate than I expected. Have had several 1/2" groups @ 50 and a couple of 1" @ 75. Maybe I was just blessed but so far and very satisfied. The AA 16 gr. has been my best ammo so far. Hope all turns out well with yours also. Only pic that I saved @ 50yds.

Don
1554997729_4767592865caf61e1ce5eb1.97861200_Sig 5 shot .666 group.jpg

" Maybe I was just blessed but so far and very satisfied "

You have been blessed with some great shooting skills Don !! I think it's a two way street. You make the Sig look good and the Sig makes you look good ! :) Nice group ! Did you see where I decided to send mine back to Sig. Very happy with the gun but just wasn't content with performance not being as advertised. The rifle should pretty much shoot as advertised for my elevation of 85ft above sea level. My velocity with the 9.6 gr Crux alloy was 1020fps. Sig rates the gun at 1044fps with the advertised Crux being 10.03gr. I don't expect 24 ft lbs (like some are getting....including Tom Gaylord in his review) but I do expect 23 ft lbs. Anyway, it's back in New Hampshire as of yesterday. Should have it back by May 1st.

Yes I saw that it was on the way back. They should be able to find the problem pretty quick I would think and get it back to you soon. Keep us posted. If I remember right you use the artillery hold also. It is very uncomfortable for me to shoot that way, maybe because of the age but I just use the front and rear rests and that seems to do OK.

It might be uncomfortable but give it a try anyway. Did you look at Tom Gaylord's review of the Sig ? He shot good with both the artillery hold and resting on a sandbag. He did shoot better groups with the artillery hold. I'm finding now, equally important, is the feel of the trigger. 

I don't think there's a real problem with my rifle. I just think the gas charge from the factory wasn't quite where it should have been.

Anyway, great shooting !! You and your Sig are an impressive pair !

I’ve had my rifle in 22 cal. about three weeks. I put about 600 pellets down range. I’m new to air rifles so take my observations accordingly. I have no issue with the accuracy at 25 yds, but find that my first stage trigger pull changes from day to day. I’ve adjusted it per the manual several times but can’t get it to pull consistently. It’s short, long or non existent without any adjustment. This make no sense to me. I can’t figure it out. I hesitate to send it back to Sig, but I just might. Otherwise, my perfectly ordinary Marauder trigger is considerably better. 

I’ve had my rifle in 22 cal. about three weeks. I put about 600 pellets down range. I’m new to air rifles so take my observations accordingly. I have no issue with the accuracy at 25 yds, but find that my first stage trigger pull changes from day to day. I’ve adjusted it per the manual several times but can’t get it to pull consistently. It’s short, long or non existent without any adjustment. This make no sense to me. I can’t figure it out. I hesitate to send it back to Sig, but I just might. Otherwise, my perfectly ordinary Marauder trigger is considerably better.

I would send it back to Sig. Sounds like it's not functioning as it should.

I’ve discovered that my first stage trigger adjustment (travel) changes after shooting the rifle. I adjust the trigger about 1/4 turn counter clockwise after the full clockwise stop is achieved. I have found that it backs out an additional full turn after shooting the rifle approximately 30 times. I can feel the trigger travel shrink accordingly. I received a RMA from Sig to have it repaired. I plan to send it in at the end of July. 

I’ve discovered that my first stage trigger adjustment (travel) changes after shooting the rifle. I adjust the trigger about 1/4 turn counter clockwise after the full clockwise stop is achieved. I have found that it backs out an additional full turn after shooting the rifle approximately 30 times. I can feel the trigger travel shrink accordingly. I received a RMA from Sig to have it repaired. I plan to send it in at the end of July.

I thought it was odd and needed attention. Sig Customer Service is great !

Well good afternoon gentlemen. I just got word today that Sig Sauer has canceled the asp20 and the whiskey3 scope. I was not told why Sig made this decision. Word around the campfire is where the wedge doesn’t give a solid lock. Apparently it has side play. 

Really bummed hearing about this news. Was looking forward to an American made air rifle used for hunting. 

Maybe Sig Sauer will come out with something new and will have all the kinks worked out. 

Until then, I’ll just keep hunting with my Gamo swarm magnum gen2 .22 cal. By the way I’m not saying it’s the best hunting air rifle for small game but it sure is fun!! 

happy huntin ya’ll!! 

Well good afternoon gentlemen. I just got word today that Sig Sauer has canceled the asp20 and the whiskey3 scope. I was not told why Sig made this decision. Word around the campfire is where the wedge doesn’t give a solid lock. Apparently it has side play. 

Really bummed hearing about this news. Was looking forward to an American made air rifle used for hunting. 

Maybe Sig Sauer will come out with something new and will have all the kinks worked out. 

Until then, I’ll just keep hunting with my Gamo swarm magnum gen2 .22 cal. By the way I’m not saying it’s the best hunting air rifle for small game but it sure is fun!! 

happy huntin ya’ll!!

Rumors! I think they just canceled the combo package. Not the rifle itself. Never heard anything regarding a problem with the wedge lockup. Actually, just the opposite! It does have sideplay but it was known and doesn't effect the how rigid the lockup is. Don't know where you got your information. Not everything you see on the internet is true.