• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

New Shooting Range

I finally built myself a new range yesterday. My wife was ok with my using our covered patio with moderated .25's but when I moved to big bores patience wore thin and justifiably so as they are LOUD ! It is arranged South to North to minimize the wind effects since it usually blows from a southerly direction. I marked it off at 50, 75, 100, 125, 200, 300 and 400 yards (all verified by my MTC Rapier Laser Range finder) but I have room to extend to 500 as soon as I get the grass mowed down. Flags are the usual plastic grocery store bags With the bottom split they make good wind socks. I plan to use it for long range airgun shooting AND my 6.5X55 Swedish Sporter. I will probably construct a movable heavy bench at some point but for now will use my Harbor Freight Shooting (welding) Table. I had become spoiled to the covered patio so I will rig a tarp to my Mule with a couple of guyed poles for shade. Here are a few pics:
8ccde562280f5010cf075f1e8505e8d7.jpg
528784485d808d1ff550316a90922565.jpg
f628c83a23790c582f052cad3fb619a3.jpg
2fc59bc62acbdb76f2a268bf0c573b96.jpg
200 yards is a long way.
2a7e9c00cac5dfbb6627a6f4aa95b0c3.jpg
400 is a REALLY long way!

Thurmond

Thurmond, have you ever been on a night fire range when they were shooting tracers? I've never seen such an educational display of exactly what a bullet can do after it hits something down range. So long as you move your shooting line and don't move your backstop I think you are golden but if you went back to 400 and were shooting to something 200 yards down range the probability of a ricochet finding the house might be more than you want to accept. Not intended to offend, just registering mild concern.

@oldspook I am VERY hard to offend, your concern is duly noted ....I know you were not refering to my shooting tracers but just the thought of tracers near all my near dead grass (Summer occurrence here) and cattle and I'll have a very BIG BBQ that would rival Solomon's daily table :p

No chance of anything moving but me and my bench. The berm is fixed and beyond the line of the house as well as being over 150 yards West of the house.

Safety of the wife and dwelling is of utmost importance! ;)

I will be adding some hanging Tandem disk for gongs and constructing a trap using 1/2" steel for the Big Bore Airgun lead so it can be recast. That way my basic cost for shooting the big bores will be N2 / CDA.

Once my powder burners are sighted in the range will be rarely use for them as Coyotes are the preferred backstop for the PB's. :)

What also can't be seen in the pictures is at the 400 yard mark I can shoot east (90 degrees to the right) down another lane that extends nearly 1 mile (still my property and no houses nearby).

Thurmond

"T3PRanch"@oldspook I am VERY hard to offend, your concern is duly noted ....I know you were not refering to my shooting tracers but just the thought of tracers near all my near dead grass (Summer occurrence here) and cattle and I'll have a very BIG BBQ that would rival Solomon's daily table :p

No chance of anything moving but me and my bench. The berm is fixed and beyond the line of the house as well as being over 150 yards West of the house.

Safety of the wife and dwelling is of utmost importance! ;)

I will be adding some hanging Tandem disk for gongs and constructing a trap using 1/2" steel for the Big Bore Airgun lead so it can be recast. That way my basic cost for shooting the big bores will be N2 / CDA.

Once my powder burners are sighted in the range will be rarely use for them as Coyotes are the preferred backstop for the PB's. :)

What also can't be seen in the pictures is at the 400 yard mark I can shoot east (90 degrees to the right) down another lane that extends nearly 1 mile (still my property and no houses nearby).

Thurmond
You gotta love Texas. Some days I miss it pretty bad. Ah, well, Virginia has it's good points. Glad to hear it. Yeah I didn't figure you'd be shooting tracers in that grass.

You guys got to stop exporting those Coyotes. They have managed to make their way out here believe it or not. All the way to the Chesapeake Bay...

Nice, wish my land was more flat, I had to set up 10-25-50 in one area and my 75-100-150-200 in another area witch is ok being I shoot my AirRifles more now then my PB's so out to 50 is ok with me for now, might have to move it all and build a shelter with a shooting bench to have 10-200 all in line. The bag is at 20 yards for Crossbow, Recurve and Longbow. This is just a very small corner of the property, the property it's self is 12.7 acres total.
2c33989796a39a34b3371b00c76b34a3.jpg