• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

New Shooting Bench

I can;t get but 70 yards real easy( 100 yards , but up hill too high) from where my current bench is, in my smoking shack. See pic. I am going to build another bench and put it down in the field below my smoking shack. No cover. Here is pics of boards that I will use as a form. This is going to take a few weeks+ or more+, as I work slow & alone. Thought it would be fun to share it with you fellers & gals, while I am working on it. I am aiming to get 150 yards fairly level.

Smoking shack bench. Existing , good only to 70 yards.

Boards for form,

"Mr.Gadgets"Noticed the air cylinder in the background. Is that 6k? About how long does it last you?

Used to last me a year. But since I am semi-retired maybe not as long. It was near 6G when I got it a few months back and I probably shot maybe 4500 + - pellets through various guns .22 & .25 on high power , now down to 4000. I don't have anything else to compare it to as, that is all I have used since I got into PCP about 7 years ago.

"30cal"Nice setup! Is that nitrogen or air? Man I'm liking that shooting table. You make that?

Nitrogen. I made the bench, 3/8" steel plate and 4" schedule 40 pipe for legs. I want to make the one down in the field out of 1/2 " steel for top. I am not very handy, but can weld fair. Once in my youth was a welder, & not a very good one. As I say my current set up is only decent for 70 yards. I have another place on my property that I can easily get 150 yards and be fairly level. Hope to pour a 6'x6' pad next week, then get the steel & start the fab on bench.

if your worried about overnight temps you can cover the concrete with a sheet of plastic, R-30 insulation and a tarp over that. Of course wait till the top is stiff enough not to deform(not that the insinuation weighs a lot). It will be fine overnight, and even the next day if temps don't get above freezing.

My first & last concrete pour, ever. I can tell you one thing 30 80# sacks will wear an old fat out of shape feller out. I had it finished real smooth, but thought I might slip on in, so roughed it up with a broom. Actually it is not as rough as the pic shows. Ordered a 1/2 steel plate a week ago, but ain;t showed up yet. Was not going to put a roof over it, but since I have no steel to work with, I went & picked up some stuff to put a roof over it. May be few days , before I have any energy to do anything else, but drink & smoke a cigar.

( thanks John for the blanket advice, might do that , it was 20 here 6am, but @ 8.30 it was 40 and now 2 pm, is 62. )

"Andy"Guess you like to shoot from a solid bench, Nutcracker. You could also, hide under that thing if you get a tornado! lol Very nice, over-built shooting bench, my friend. I like your style!

Definite overkill on my part. However the last one I built I used 3/8" steel for top. It actually flexed some & I had to add more bracing under top. Since I really don't like to weld, I figured to make top out of 1/2" , it should not need any bracing or stiffeners under top. Plus I like to make things that my Grandchildren can use 50 plus years from now.

One thing about concrete. You should keep it damp for about 28 days for a full cure. Concrete continues to cure while at above 80 % humidity, and keeping the top wet ensures that the concrete continues curing. Though the longer it stays damp enough the harder and stronger it will get, the 28 day mark is where there is not too much additional strength to be had in a reasonable length of time.

Had to work for six days, finally got a off today. Finished up the frame. My steel plate finally showed up, so I should be able to fabricate that this week @ work. Will also get the metal roofing material this week or next. As you can see I am no carpenter. I almost screwed up, I put the post in last week. This week I found out I needed a building permit. I went & applied and received that. Did not know for something so simple I needed one. They told me since I am building it myself ( no contractor) I don't need any inspections for a shed. 50.00 a day fine W/O. So I am covered now.