New Scope Reconditions - Not Impressed with USO TS-12

I currently have a Hawke Vantage on top of a MROD F&T and recently purchased a USO TS-12 that I was hoping on mounting to a Brockcock Concept as soon as they are in stock. The TS-12 arrived Friday and while it is a more feature rich scope than the Hawke, I don't think the optical clarity is as good as the less expensive Hawke. I am no optics expert but the clarity, brightness and focus are just lacking. Curious if I have a bad one or if this is what others are seeing. I am afraid the TS-12 will be going back to Eurooptics, so I hope their return policy is easy and hassle free.

Any recommendations on a $500-600 or so scope? Requirements are at least 12X, 10 yard parallax, compact and light weight preferred and illumination would be nice. 

My TS-12 is super clear and bright. It originally had a loose ocular eyepiece though. So, I sent the scope back to USO. Although there was very little communication from them, so I was in the dark about what was going on, it arrived on my doorstep promptly and is in perfect shape now. Sounds like you got a bad one too. The TS units are made in China so you have to wade through the bad ones as usual sometimes. I guess even if it is Inspected in the USA. It looks like the USO people are not doing so well in the inspection phase.

My TS-12 is super clear and bright. It originally had a loose ocular eyepiece. Sent it back to USO. and although there was very little communication from them, so I was in the dark about what was going on, it arrived on my doorstep, promptly and is in perfect shape now. Sounds like you got a bad one too. It's made in China so you have to wade through the bad ones sometimes. I guess even if it is Inspected in the USA. It looks like the USO people are not doing so well in the inspection phase.

I read your post the day after I made the purchase and it was the first time I hade read anything negative about it so I wasn't too concerned about any issues. Everything appears to work as it should so I am stumped. Maybe I set my expectations too high for a Chinese budget scope. I did get the TS-12 on sale but there is a $300 difference in the regular price of the two. 

I went for it because it was a USO brand and the price was deeply discounted as well. I had also just purchased a TS-25X-JVCR and it was a very nice scope indeed so figured the TS12 would be the same. Although I had to pay for shipping when I returned the TS12 it came back as new so I am happy with the transaction and the scope on the whole.

The things we have to endure living in the first world. ;^)

Sounds like you want feature rich so I suggest the Athlon Helos G2 2-12x42 DMR. It has very good glass for this price range. The MOA version is a BDC reticle but the mil version is a full mil reticle with a larger dot so people can see it on 2x. The quality level in this scope is impressive and more like a scope twice the price. I bought two of them because I like it that much.

Do you need a FFP scope like the TS-12 or will a SFP scope like your Hawke work? A FFP is always more expensive so you can get more scope for your money going the SFP route. I would definitely look at Athlon’s offerings as Steve suggested above if you want a FFP scope. If a SFP scope will work, I would look at the Hawke Frontier. The 1” tube models have a 10 yard parallax and are lightweight as well. You also get a sunshade, magnification lever and a pair of extremely nice metal flip up caps. It would easily cost $150 to buy these extras for a scope that didn’t come with them. I got to look at one recently and was very impressed with the glass and overall build quality of this scope. Cameraland is running a sale from now until Cyber Monday on most items so I would check them out if you are going to get something to replace the TS-12. The below Hawke Frontier is priced at $502 and all the Athlon scopes are on sale as well.

A345C437-4565-4836-971A-3E753F7938FF.1637603463.png
2F0F80FE-EFAA-4254-A3F5-6280121DF2A3.1637603464.png
328D7B98-0293-47AB-A96E-AABC06DECAB0.1637603464.png

That is the exact scope I am eyeing right now. Just trying to decide if I should step up in magnification and see if anything goes on sale this week. My understanding of what I have read is about as good as you will get without moving up substantially in cost. Do you have any comparisons between it and the TS-12?

I don't. I haven't been behind a TS-12.

Though I have fiddled with a fair amount of other scopes throughout the years and it doesn't take but a minute of trying all the controls on them checking for "that" feel of quality to determine each negative about the scope.

It's easier to just come out and state I found no faults with the Helos G2 2-12???? This scope to me is a crossover scope. More of a shoot fast, quick acquisition, hunting scope, almost like a LPVO and useable at 2x, even though its FFP. But since the dot covers 1/2" at 50Y, which is pretty much what most good pcp's are capable of, it'll work for informal target work as well. FFP so holdoffs and holdovers are consistent. Great for shooting steel. The list goes on and on. Not much you can't do with this scope.