• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

new scope questions?

Hey guys,

Posting here because it seems more relevant than asking bench rest shooters.

I have an old style Air Arms S410E in .22. It's got an equally old Bushnell Banner 6x18x50 scope on it.

I'd like to upgrade this year. 

I don't see as good as I used to and it seems like this one blocks a lot of light when the power is turned up. Also, the adjustable parallax works fine BUT, I can't turn it while holding on a target. It's awkward having to reach all the way to the front of the scope. The combo is pretty heavy. About 81/4 lbs. The scope is 18oz. of that.

SO, I've been looking at the ones with the side adjust and it seems like a good alternative.

My question is,

Are the ones with the small knob easy enough to turn? And is it easy enough to settle in on focus? (all while trying not to lose sight of a target)

Some of them have a really big wheel on them which would make it easier to turn but I think that would block access to my rotary clip so it looks like I wouldn't be able to use one.

Opinions?

I've been looking at various Hawk and Athlon scopes. $500 is kinda over my realistic budget but not not impossible... Most of them are well under that.

scattermaster,

I've never had a problem turning and focusing the side focus/parallax adjustment knobs. One would think that the bigger knobs would easier to fine tune, but I'm not sure as I've never tried one. They're too damn ugly for me!

If you get a small focus knob type and don't like it, I can't imagine that there isn't an aftermarket, oversize wheel that you could attach to it. If there is no such thing (I don't know...I've never looked), find a friend with a lathe and a mill and he should be able to fix you up with something in short order.

Justin

Some of the standard small wheels are easy, some are not. I have a couple of Sightrons that turn very well without a big wheel. I have a Hawk that is very stiff, and an Athlon that's in between. In most applications, you can get the scope positioned to accommodate the magazine, but sometimes it results in a a head position that is less than ideal. If you get the right one, you will really like the side focus. 

Main question is intended use. What do you really want to do with your rifle?

If you are looking at BR, good glass at 30X may be pretty expensive. Hawke could be a good place to begin your search. Also, there us currently a fine video from JWR that tells the truth about current offerings. 

For general use, it is hard to beat a 6.5-20X40 Leupold EFR. A good 40mm objective is going to be much more clear and bright than an equally priced 56mm objective. It does have an AO, but some prefer an AO because it is less expensive and uses one less lens which generally makes the picture a little more bright. It also has a duplex reticle, but clicks reliably. And, it can often be found used, but it good condition, for $500.

IMHO, the best bargain is the $300 SWFA fixed 10X. The focus is at the rear and easy to access from a shooting position. A great scope at any price - but a steal for $300.

In answer to your SF/magazine issue, it really depends on the scope rifle combo and someone here can probably tell you what will work on a 410. The scope makers are aware of this problem and have tried to address it through design.

FW!W, you may find your old Banner is a better optic than you think. Compare it side-by-side with a newer scope (in the same price range) on a buddy's rifle and you could be surprised.

Anyway, it is a good question and you have come to the right place. Am sure lots of folks will chime in with specific responses.

Enjoy that fine rifle!

Main question is intended use. What do you really want to do with your rifle?

If you are looking at BR, good glass at 30X may be pretty expensive. Hawke could be a good place to begin your search. Also, there us currently a fine video from JWR that tells the truth about current offerings. 

For general use, it is hard to beat a 6.5-20X40 Leupold EFR. A good 40mm objective is going to be much more clear and bright than an equally priced 56mm objective. It does have an AO, but some prefer an AO because it is less expensive and uses one less lens which generally makes the picture a little more bright. It also has a duplex reticle, but clicks reliably. And, it can often be found used, but it good condition, for $500.

IMHO, the best bargain is the $300 SWFA fixed 10X. The focus is at the rear and easy to access from a shooting position. A great scope at any price - but a steal for $300.

In answer to your SF/magazine issue, it really depends on the scope rifle combo and someone here can probably tell you what will work on a 410. The scope makers are aware of this problem and have tried to address it through design.

FW!W, you may find your old Banner is a better optic than you think. Compare it side-by-side with a newer scope (in the same price range) on a buddy's rifle and you could be surprised.

Anyway, it is a good question and you have come to the right place. Am sure lots of folks will chime in with specific responses.

Enjoy that fine rifle!

I mostly shoot squirrels and birds in my back yard. Yard is about 55yds x 80 yds.

Most of my shots are in the 15 to 35 yrd range but that because I usually let the farther ones go. Here's a pis of my gun. As you can see, the clip pretty much lines up with the turrets and there's not much room for adjustment. Id did see a video a few minutes ago where a guy was comparing an S510 to a BSA and his has the wheel on the side so I guess it can be done!
1546814667_2172826935c3284cb70c159.63724044_IMG_3036.JPG

Well for better of for worse I bit the bullet and ordered:

UTG 4-16x56 Bubble Leverler AO scope

It's got 1/8 MOA turrets that I like, 30mm tube that I've never tried, and all the other stuff.

It's lighter than most of the ones I looked at, 27.4 oz.and has a fairly large exit pupil at 14mm-3.5mm

If I don't like it I can go back to the Bushnell I guess.

thx,

Jim

Like jw aid straight power swfa which u prefer 6 x 10 x or 12 x they make 16 and 20 also , these rune $299 new , used $220 to $250

nd variable 3x15 is $599 ffp I like this much better

They alo make a 3x9 hd on sale used about $400

the straight powers are rear paralax if u ant side paralax it adds $100 for straight powers however the 3x9 and 3x15 are side focus