• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New scope on my PCP

I have for the last two years had a Hawke 8-32 Airmax on my FX airgun. This scope has always been fine on the lower magnifacations, but when I am up to 32, it is very difficult to get into the scope. I even called Hawke optics thinking something was not right on the scope. I was hoping maybe to be able to send it back to them and upgrade to a scope that I wouldnt have this issue with. I was informed that they couldnt do this, and that because the scope was not their top of the line that this was a scope that I could easily have issues with at the higher power settings.
I decided to try a different scope. I went to Euro Optics which is in my hometown state of Pennsylvania. I have dealt with them before and I have found it's just about the best place to purchase, scopes and even firearms. Try them first before buying anywhere else. You may just like them as much as I do.
Anyway, I purchased a Vortex Diamondback from them in a 6-24 power. This scope is unbelievable to say the least! It is easy to see through, unlike the Hawke scope. It wasnt that much more than the Hawke either, and I am selling this Hawke, and I plan on never ever owning another one in the future. My accuracy has improved also because I wasn't fiddelling around trying to find my correct eye position.
Excellent scope!! Thank you Vortex!!!

First Hawke scope I had was one that came in a "combo" deal with a Hatsan PCP I bought. WAS NOT impressed! I think it was a "Frontier". Worst scope I've owned. I've used a Hawke Sidewinder 6x24x56, I picked up used a few years back, on my Boss. Absolutely love that one. Great glass, brightness, clarity. One bad, one great experience with them. It's all subjective. Glad you're liking your new Vortex.

A big part of why the 6-24x Vortex is easier for you use than the 8-32x Hawke is likely because it is a lower max power. You might find that a 6-24x Hawke of similar quality glass will be much closer to how the Vortex looks and works to you. When you get up into the higher magnification range, the field of view gets pretty narrow an the amount of light reaching your eye is less, making it more difficult to get centered on the image and perceived brightness and sharpness is reduced.

I have found that even with the same brand and model, the lower the max power setting is and the shorter the zoom range the better the clarity will be and the easier it will be to get lined up with. As an example, the Sightron S3 series optics. Looking through their S3 series 6-24x, 8-32x and 10-50x, the lower power models will almost always appear more clear when set at the same magnification as a higher max zoom model. Also, some lower cost, lower zoom ratio scopes can sometimes appear nearly as sharp as a higher cost scope with a significantly greater zoom ratio, when set on the same power, such as comparing a 3-12x to a 3-27x with both set on 4x.

Reactions: Peskådot671
A big part of why the 6-24x Vortex is easier for you use than the 8-32x Hawke is likely because it is a lower max power. You might find that a 6-24x Hawke of similar quality glass will be much closer to how the Vortex looks and works to you. When you get up into the higher magnification range, the field of view gets pretty narrow an the amount of light reaching your eye is less, making it more difficult to get centered on the image and perceived brightness and sharpness is reduced.

I have found that even with the same brand and model, the lower the max power setting is and the shorter the zoom range the better the clarity will be and the easier it will be to get lined up with. As an example, the Sightron S3 series optics. Looking through their S3 series 6-24x, 8-32x and 10-50x, the lower power models will almost always appear more clear when set at the same magnification as a higher max zoom model. Also, some lower cost, lower zoom ratio scopes can sometimes appear nearly as sharp as a higher cost scope with a significantly greater zoom ratio, when set on the same power, such as comparing a 3-12x to a 3-27x with both set on 4x.
I had two hawke scopes and no they didnt compare to other scopes in the same magnification range. I get vortex optics at a big discount but even comparing the venom at retail to the sidewinder that retails very close theres no comparison between the two. The venom beats that sidewinder in every way and the venom costs me 50% less than the sidewinder. The diamondback tactical also beat the hawke sidewinder that was the same 24x.

Athlon, Primary Arms, Trijicon, Aimpoint, Sightron, USO, and Nightforce also have Mil/LE discounts.

I have a few Vortex, Athlon, Aimpoint, Trijicon, Hawke Airmax, USO, Burris, Nightforce NXS scopes, along with Primary Arms. Only scopes I had to send in to be warranteed had been an older IOR, Aimpoint 9000sc, a Hawke Airmax, and a Zeiss Conquest.

The Hawke Airmaxes used to be affordable and main selling point was the ability to survive on springers.