Air Arms New S510 dumped all air

So I have a 100 or so rounds through my S510 XS. As luck would have it, I hurt my back, so I could not shoot it for a few days. Since my back is better, I figure I can shoot it a bit tomorrow. So I topped off the cylinder to 210 bar, and have it sitting on the bench. About 2 hours later it noisily let out all the air. There is no air in the cylinder, complete dump. So I connected the fill probe, and it squeals from the breach area, and air rushes out the barrel.
So if possible I would like to fix it myself.
What do you guys think?

The only thing that makes sense is you blew the o-ring that seals the valve to the valve body. Basically Air is allowed to blow past the valve but the transfer port and breech seal are still in tact which is why the air is rushing out the barrel.

It's Part #6 on Page 18 of this manual (S966 o-ring size 8x1.5 NBR70).

I have never had one of those blow spontaneously. That's odd!

Reactions: cavedweller
I found that particular oring on Amazon. 50 for 5.49.

I tried calling Air Venturi for support, but I guess they are not open yet, I am eastern standard time. So maybe they can pop some in the mail? I talk to them first, then maybe tear into it. They probably saw this before on a new XS. I might even call NAPA to see if they have them. I just wanted to get it done pretty quick.

So I finally was able to contact Air Venturi. They wanted an original sales slip to initiate a repair. So I did not have that handy, so I thought it would be a good idea to disassemble, and see what I could see.
The air rushing out of the barrel was due to the rifle not being cocked on filling. So that was not a "real" issue or indicator of the leak.
Air still rushed out of a relief hole at the receiver side of the gas cylinder below the wood line ahead of the pressure gauge. So I removed the cylinder and inspected the two 2.5X23 Buna 90 orings near the relief hole. They looked good with no signs of wear or cracking. I replaced them anyway with smidge smaller 2.5X22 Buna 70 orings that I had in one of my oring kits.
(I did this mainly because another member shared his S510XS leak resolution: https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/looking-for-help-with-a-leaking-aa-s510xs.1305340/ )
I put a super light film of silicon grease on the orings, and cylinder thread. That allowed the cylinder to tighten a lot easier than when I loosened it.
As a buy one, get one free fix, I had a foster fill conversion that I installed at the same time. I filled the cylinder to 100 bar and waited a couple hours, and saw zero evidence of leaks. So I filled to 200 bar and let it sit over night. Still zero leaks, and held the pressure on the gauge.
So according to my research on the forum, this is at least the 3rd issue with these same orings on a newer XS. I'll wildly guess AA sourced some marginal orings. Amazon lists the 2.5X23 Buna 90, but they are out of stock right now. I have twenty of the nominal smidge smaller buna 70, so I don't feel compelled to get the "spec" oring at this time. I'll look around a bit, and maybe get the spec orings at a hydraulic shop if I get up that way.
Anyway I am real happy that I solved it, for no cost, no shipping time and shipping risk. Thanks to those that shared their experience with their S510s.

Last edited:
As I said, I replaced the 2 cylinder orings with a touch smaller 2.5 x 22 buna n 70 orings.
Looking at the bright side, it showed where the failure occurred, but I still had some overnight leaking. I ordered a bunch of orings for various rifles from orings and more, and the total was less than 20 bucks with half being shipping. Anyway the proper buna 2.5x23 in 90 hardness works like a charm with zero leak down.