New rifle to pistol conversion EXCEEDS all hopes!

So the liposuction procedure to remove fat enough from the belly to pass fore-end depth rules muster was a success; but as predicted, left a scar. But to this surgeon, like many collectors of vintage mechanical marvels, bumps, bruises and scars can add what we like to call 'character'. Such 'beauty marks' are also sometimes perceived as enhancements, largely depending on the eyes of the beholder. And how such blemishes are perceived has much to do with the story(s) behind the scars. Such is the case here.

The cosmetic surgery scar
BroPis F E.jpg
BroPis surgery.jpg

And quite possibly due to the admittedly prejudiced perspective of the surgeon, I believe the liposuction procedure improved the profile of the patient for the better. Before-
Ban pistol.jpg

After-
BrpPis final.jpg
I like skinny girls!👯‍♀️:love:

Last edited:
I often say that airguns, like their shooters, not only have their share of foibles, quirks and idiosyncrasies, but also have good and bad days just like us. The Bantol had a good day today.

Happy to have her done, I shot 5 consecutive five-shot groups at sunset even though there were light but steady winds. The average calculated to .66" c-t-c, and the smallest measured .46".

Last edited:
AirNGasman,
I've been following along on some of the rifle to pistol conversions out there but I have a question about the barrel.
Could you give a brief description of how you go about shortening the barrel and the steps involved?
The stock mods seem pretty straightforward but I don't seem to be able to find much about shortening an air rifle barrel.
Thanks!

Sure Saz,

1) I cut barrels with a hack-saw, 2) grind the muzzle end square on a table sander, 3) polish out the sanding marks with a little Harbor Freight bench grinder with a polishing wheel on one side,

4) use assorted-angles of cone-shaped rotary-tool bits (fine stone or metal) clamped facing up in a vice to taper the muzzle crown by HAND-rolling the barrel itself (like rolling clay into snake shapes), 5) then do the same with assorted-angles of cone-shaped rubber polishing bits to put a high polish on the new muzzle crown.

While rolling the barrel by hand I also rotate it in a small circle; the idea being since I can't keep the barrel perfectly square, by rotating it in a small circle I'm AVERAGING to better squareness than trying to keep it square by eye.

If you care for more/better explanation than this it will have to be in a conversation.

Hope this helps,
Ron 254-253-1239 (noon till midnight, CST)

Last edited:
Reactions: MrP
Thanks for the info!
That gives me the general idea of how folks go about doing the barrel shortening.
I was thinking it might be more complex than you make it sound. Envisioning machine shops, lathes, mills, etc.
Your explanation was more than I was getting from Google.
If I ever end up doing it myself some day I'll contact you for more details.
Thanks again!

You're certainly not the only one over-"thunking" barrel chopping, SAZ; I used to also.

But neither well enough off to pay a professional to do it, much less purchase the proper equipment to do it the way most folks think it ought be done, out of sheer necessity when I needed to build my own field target pistol to remain competitive at the highest levels as pistol field target evolved, I figured there wasn't too much to lose by "winging it" with simple hand tools (and a grinder) I COULD afford. Especially since my chosen platform for conversion from a Crosman 187 Co2 rifle to regulated HPA pistol sold for only about $20 brand-new in the 1960's. That pistol conversion being an incredible success beyond the wildest dreams of anyone but me, I built several other rifle to pistol conversions.
187 Titles.jpg
Five 180s.JPG
That every one averages between 5/8" and 1" groups at 50 yards is further testament to my Neanderthal barrel chopping techniques was more than a little comforting when I recently decided to butcher... I mean, "convert" A THOUSAND DOLLAR PCP into an Extreme FT pistol!🥵 And although it is no surprise that the converted pistol outshoots hell out of the rifle it was, IT WAS A GREAT RELIEF!😅

Last edited: