New rifle to pistol conversion EXCEEDS all hopes!

With many decades of using improbable airguns with great success in competitions by monkeying them to levels of performance many find unbelievable, now concentrating on Extreme Field Target competition and founding Extreme Pistol Field Target, I decided to repeat a rifle-to-pistol conversion of similar ilk to one I did in 2011 that has since accounted for 3 State and 3 National Champion titles. That pistol, converted from a 1960s vintage Crosman 187 Co2 rifle to regulated-bottle PCP pistol-

187 Titles.jpg

And although I already own three excellent .22 PCP pistols that are EFT worthy (an Ataman AP16, P-Rod, and Falcon FN19), each seems a little less than ideal for the demanding game in one (or more) way or another. That being so, or at least being what I imagine, after getting my butt kicked BADLY at the last TEXtreme Pistol FT match by a good buddy shooting a .22 Marauder he converted to pistol, I started pondering what I needed to extract revenge against Pablo.

It hadn't taken me but three or four shots through his rig to arrive at the epiphany that the pistolized Marauder is quite a formidable force to contend with🥵. The only air pistols I thought up to the task are a Thomas, and/or a Brocock Atomic XR. A Thomas being simply out of my financial reach🤑, much as I like my (three) Brocock Bantam rifles, the Atomic pistol is "uncomfortably" pricey.🥺

After a good bit more pondering about another buddy's .177 Thomas that shoots 13.43 grain JSB Monster pellets 800 FPS, it occurred to me that .22 might not be the only caliber for EPFT work🤔. Then it came to me that, unlike my .22 Bantams, my .177 Bantams accuracy had never impressed me😤 before OR after souping it up from 18 to 23 foot pounds.
Bantam.JPG

STOP THE PRESSES!

A quick examination of the potential victim confirmed it might be an excellent platform for butchery... Correction- conversion!

The work went well, the results are gratifying, and the pistol outshoots hell out of the rifle it used to be.:D

Ban pistol.jpg

In rifle form she struggled to average 1" c-t-c five-shot groups at 50 yards, but the .177 Bantam pistol consistently averages .75" or less. In fact, she's already posted a couple 3/4" ten-shot groups at 50.(y)

Though I'd already monkeyed the trigger down to a nice 10 ounce let-off, I felt that was holding her back from being all the EFT pistol she could be. So diving back into the trigger design I've become quote familiar with, I clipped another coil off the tiny sear and trigger-return springs. BINGO! Now takes just 2 ounces to reach the second stage, that breaks like glass at 4 ounces (total)!🤯

The original 480 cc carbon bottle extends about 3/4" beyond the muzzle of the barely-legal 14-7/8" barrel, so I ordered a 300 cc alloy bottle just the right length. Even so, virtue of the magical Slingshot firing system she did this- 13.43 JSB Monster, 225 BAR fill, 135 shot powerband😲= Low- 783, Hi- 813, ES- 30, SD- 6, Avg- 796 FPS/18.9 FP.

About 500 shots later my moly-lube treatment is slickening quite nicely. She's come up to 815 FPS average, the SD down to 3-4. Still exploring the shot count at the higher power level, I expect it to come down to "only" 125 shots per charge.🤣

If I ever get less than gale-force winds again I'll post photos of some groups. Stay tuned.

I HAPPY!

Pablo, be afraid. Be VERY afraid!😰

Last edited:
Oops, after more testing tonight I realize I lied in my original post. The 135 shot power-band came with the original 480 CC carbon bottle before the moly-lube treatment smoothed in. My bad!😔

In testing tonight with the 300 cc bottle and power now up to 810 FPS/19.6 FP she returned 85 shots from a 225 BAR fill. My apologies for the mix-up, but I'm still delighted with the shot-count and POWER.

Unfortunately the wind hasn't laid, but I couldn't help shooting four consecutive ten-shot groups at 50 yards before losing shooting light. The average ten-shot group size in gusty cross-winds was 1.10". But ignoring the worst group when the winds were highest, the other three averaged .97" c-t-c.

I believe she'll average 3/4" ten-shot groups in still conditions; closer to 1/2" five-shot groups.🤞

Reactions: ThomasT
Although it only got to 107 degrees today, the wind lay just before sunset. So I bundled up and got out there to brave the blizzard🥶 in order to do more accuracy testing in still winds. Hoping to get five groups in the short window of shooting light opportunity, I decided to make them five-shot groups (at 50 yards, of course). But that exercise reinforced my belief that multiple ten-shot group averages are not as indicative of a gun's potentials, due to increased shooter error(s) from concentration fatigue. Five consecutive five-shot groups is plenty, and in my opinion more realistic. Tonights results-
Ban pis at 50.jpg

The tightest group measured .55" c-t-c and the largest .85"; for a .746" c-t-c average. So I'll concede I might have been a bit optimistic in hoping for 3/4" average ten-shot groups; my enthusiasm greater than my experience shooting several of them in a row.

After sunset I shot a nine-shot (Carm) magazine group by spotlight (on the right below) to re-confirm that the Brocock pistol shoots an inch higher for me from bench-rest than it does from stool-and-bipod FT position. I managed a bit over an inch for 8 shots, but blew one shot an inch left of the group.🤬 That the group elevation is spot-on confirms the 1" difference in POI between the different rest positions. That it is somewhat left of well-centered confirms my trigger control needs some work!😤
Ban pis 50.jpg

Glad I chose to shoot at the aiming-dot closest to the tightest BR group on the left (.55"), to illustrate the point of impact and accuracy differences between the two positions.

There you go again! Nice job Ron, looking forward to seeing more groups. She’s obviously a shooter. I wish a picture of it was in your pistol book!
By the way, your book is so much fun to hand to someone that you have been talking about air pistols with.
I like to show them my pistols and then after they see how hooked I am on them I hand them your book and say “here’s another guy who really likes pistols “ lol!

"I would question the 3" rule on depth of anything forward of trigger guard". Say WHAT?😲

Dang Scott, I totally spaced that out! But you're right, it ain't legal. Thanks for pointing that out, Bud. It would really suck to have that pointed out after I win the State Championships with it, and got disqualified... by ME!😰

Guess I was so preoccupied making the barrel 14.9998" and the power 19.99999997 foot pounds that I totally overlooked the fore-end rule😖. And I'm the Rules NAZI!

Looks like it's back to the ol' drawin'-board. Correction- the ol' band-saw, table sander, wood stain, and polyurethane. But the good news is it looks like there's enough meat there for the liposuction procedure.

But it'll leave a scar!🤕

Sorry Ron ... OUPS !!! Lol
I went threw this myself a couple years ago now making my most recent PFT rig from a rifle.
It took fly cutting on the mill a bunch of belly ahead of trigger guard to get inside the 3" rule ( And it's just barely legal now )

Power 19.99999 ... lol Not legal either. it is a Max 12 fpe class !! But you knew that ya big kidder ;)

Ron ... you have a Great thread running here ...
While on subject of chopping up perfectly good rifles to make one of a kind pistols

:unsure: Thought i would share my recent one spoken of above.

Original BSA single shot scorpion, Shorter gold star air tube, Huma regged, Light hammer & ssg etc ...
Wood stock chopped down, painted in Rustoleum textured beigh ... Shoots stellar.
Made up in 2018 & on its 5th season it has got me quite a few state championship wins so far ( Ca, Or, Nv )

20220713_150919.jpg

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 23
Your Scorpistol is cool Scott🤙, and obviously gets the job done! Ain't it great when a plan comes together? Good show!

BTW, my Brocock pistol conversion was specifically for extreme pistol FT, so I wan't kidding about 19.99999997 foot pounds. Since I decided to rip-off not only most AAFTA pistol rules, but AAFTA's 10-55 yard rifle distances, figured I might as well also rip-off the AAFTA rifle power limit for extreme pistol FT.

AZ, I also have a .22 Brocock Bantam riffle just like the .177 I converted to pistol. But the .22 shoots light-out great as a rifle, whereas the .177 didn't... until I made it a pistol. However, with the .177 pistol conversion working out as well as it did, I (also) have been thinking how cool a 30 foot-pound .22 Bantam pistol that shoots 1/2" groups at 50 yards would be.😲 But it's safe... for now, anyway.😖

Bantam 100.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: drpietrzak