• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New rifle, new scope, oh my!

Well, I finally ordered my first pcp. I have been looking for a long time, spending what seemed like nearly endless hours in research. There are so many new models that have come out in recent months, many of them of interest to me, considering my intended uses. I finally opted for an AGT Uragan standard in .22 caliber. The reviews have been positive and it has been out for some time, so has had time to acquire a "history". I wanted good potential accuracy (which means lots of testing - part of the fun!) together with a good shot count and power for this caliber. Remember -- "Only accurate rifles are interesting". With the variable power which many of these rifles possess, we have the option of using light-to-medium pellets with an appropriate power setting (yes, I will be ordering a chronograph) for target (paper and reactive) shooting with friends. Yes, won't it be nice to drag others into this fascinating "dark side"? Really, as are all hopeful of who enter this sport/hobby, I also hope that it proves an entry into a joyful, light-filled, experience. A renewal of the pleasure of my younger years as a powder-burner competitive shooter and (mostly our PA woodchuck) hunter. Our middle "productive" years can occupy us with so many responsibilities that we have little time for simple pleasures. Who among us ever achieved what some philosopher might have termed "reasonable balance"? Well, I am in retirement now, so I hope that I may have some time for what many of you have been enjoying for any leisure hours you have.

Returning to my question appropriate for this particular forum, I have also ordered a 6-24x50, 30mm, sfp scope. Now I must choose rings to mount the scope. I know this can be an important choice and I would like to make the right choice and avoid "mail tag" with a distributor. I had been thinking of adjustable rings (FX no-limit, Eagle Vision Infinity, another?) of the right height for this rifle, considering the design of the rifle's mounting platform and perceived quality of the rings chosen. I will be getting a mounting kit and different types of tools for that and other purposes with the rifle -- FAT wrench, SAE and metric (combined kit), t-handle hex set. Any advice would be helpful and much appreciated, either from your own use of the same rifle, or from reading the postings of others who found the right "combination" of components.

While I have your attention (I hope!), any other advice about how to go about achieving pcp happiness with what I am putting together would be appreciated. I expect to try a number of pellets and slugs. The slugs would probably be reserved for any possible 'chuck hunting (or similar-size game/varmint). Oh, how I hope this proves to be a good experience, where I can see the joy of those who I share it with as they also learn of the great leap forward in air gun technology and capability. I know to test various JSB and H&N pellets and slugs, along with other slug specialty ammo. Different styles, weights, and sizes, even of the same manufacturer. Happy is the one who finds the right ammo for an intended purpose before "breaking the bank" in their quest! I live in a trailer park, so I was happy to recently find a nearby place to shoot -- on out to 100 yards, or more. Getting (at least some of the time) moa groups with a projectile which also arrived on target with enough fpe for the job, would be great. With the wind and our trajectories of ammo, we cannot compete with powder-burners (but, as slugs progress in their development, we are getting close to the ubiquitous .22 long rifle), nevertheless the competition is ever with ourselves and our chosen tools of choice. I wish to see if some of my old skills still remain and if patience and discipline will help override my loss of physical abilities. I haven't looked through a scope in so many years, or experienced the satisfaction in the let-off of a really good trigger. I had a Timney trigger on my old custom 22-250, with a B&L 20 power scope. I used that combo for both bench rest competition and the woodchuck hunting. A lot of hand loading went into developing a good load. Now I pay the money up front, but the ammo will be much cheaper (another incentive to considerable testing and having others taste of this "guilty pleasure" by using my rifle. I also ordered a 106 cubic foot carbon fiber, 4,500 psi tank with hose and fittings, today.

I thank you for your suggestions regarding my above questions about how to proceed. I hope to have some good reports to share with you in the near future. Above all, I will be honest. Oh boy, now to have to learn how to post photos to share with you!

Yours,

pcpwannabe

I thank you for your suggestions regarding my above questions about how to proceed. I hope to have some good reports to share with you in the near future. Above all, I will be honest. Oh boy, now to have to learn how to post photos to share with you!

Yours,

pcpwannabe

To post photos click this button and follow the prompts.

Screenshot 2021-06-10 at 08-44-53 New rifle, new scope, oh my - Airgun Nation.1623325697.png

Eagle vision. Beautiful, adjustable, well made and rock solid. I own plenty of sets of FX rings and they’re nice. Eagle vision just look so much more substantial, the fit and finish are superb and I like the way little side knobs...it makes things easy. Here are both, you can see the difference. Either will serve you well.

Stoti

0224D372-0C97-4C6D-A45B-37977BB79435.1623338507.jpeg
9EBEF631-C982-43B2-8340-3D4FA3C81DB2.1623338824.jpeg