• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning New rifle-broke

Have a new Benjamin Kratos .22 cal. right out of the box has an air leak. Very disappointed as to lack of service up to this point, from retailer and manuf. Live in S/W Idaho where is a repair shop you guys would recommend as i can see where this is going (as in out of my pocket instead of warranty). Real catch 22, if you touch the rifle null and voids warranty, try and get some help from manuf. good luck when that will happen and as to retailer well let's just say my first and last purchase there. All my purchases in the future will be through Rick Eutsler, Air gun pro shop who at least offer a service to check out your purchase before they ship. By the way, when is a warranty really not a warranty as in 5year limited warranty for this rifle ?

Sorry to rant and rave here but I just want it fixed and use it so any repair shops would be appreciated.

Choper

Never had a problem with a Benjamin warranty. They have always taking care of me In a timely matter. But that being said I’ve only had to use it a couple times for Just a small issue. I don’t Modify my guns Right after I get them. Maybe just a little tweaking.Hope you can get it sorted out without having to send it to somebody and take money out of your own pocket.

Ok I must have gotten you all confused, I have not done anything to this rifle except add a scope and air. As for Benjamin/Crosman now Velocity-Outdoor I could only get through by email.. Right off the bat they want me to tell them where it is leaking-really? It is not holding air all I want to know is how do we get it fixed. I mentioned if you start taking the stock off looking for the problem and God forbid replace a seal you risk loosing your warranty because that was not done by authorized repair center.

Choper

I had a leaky Benjamin. They wanted to know where the leak was because it sometimes is a very simple fix. Mine was in the fill port and the tech had me remove the port and clean it out (there was some metal millings in it that had jammed the port open) Took me less than 5 minutes, did NOT void my warranty and saved me postage and time. If it had been a seal or a defective air tube they would have wanted it sent in.

Welcome, Choper,

It sucks to have issues with a new gun-but sooner or later you'll have to learn to deal with issues if you keep on with PCPs.

If you live in a remote location, you're probably already used to doing things yourself.

Put some air in the gun and (with it uncocked and unloaded) listen for air escaping from the barrel. If you hear air there, it's the valve poppet and the gun needs a repairman or needs to be sent back.

Other wise-pulling the stock is one bolt on my Akela, not sure about the Kratos. You can put a little soapy water with a brush around the air pressure gauge, which is a likely spot for the leak. If it leaks at the gauge, an O-ring is probably all you need to fix it and there should be one in the bag of stuff that came with the gun. You'll need to de-gas the gun before working on anything that is pressurized.

Youtube has lots of video help on just about anything. I'd try the simple stuff before I'd send it back and have to wait on repairs.

I agree with these other guys. Try the soapy water method. Sometimes Benjamin will send you the part that you need if it is an easy fix. They probably Want to know where it’s leaking from so they can determine if it needs to be sent back to them or if it’s an easy fix that they can help you with by sending you a part. Once in a while the gauge just needs to be tightened a little bit. You never know until you check it out. Most people would rather do an easy fix then have the trouble of boxing it back up and sending it back.If it’s a slow leak coming out of the barrel which could be your valve, You might not hear it. So people will put a balloon over the barrel and let it sit overnight and it will blow the balloon up.Even a small baggie that you would tape up tightly to your barrel would work.Good luck

Have a new Benjamin Kratos .22 cal. right out of the box has an air leak. Very disappointed as to lack of service up to this point, from retailer and manuf. Live in S/W Idaho where is a repair shop you guys would recommend as i can see where this is going (as in out of my pocket instead of warranty). Real catch 22, if you touch the rifle null and voids warranty, try and get some help from manuf. good luck when that will happen and as to retailer well let's just say my first and last purchase there. All my purchases in the future will be through Rick Eutsler, Air gun pro shop who at least offer a service to check out your purchase before they ship. By the way, when is a warranty really not a warranty as in 5year limited warranty for this rifle ?

Sorry to rant and rave here but I just want it fixed and use it so any repair shops would be appreciated.

Choper

hello, greetings from another Idaho member. I live in Boise ID . Sorry that you are having leak issues, the soap method to finding leaks is a good way to go, you can find the leak easy and then repair. After you repair the one leak keep checking for more leaks, sometimes there are more then one. The Benjamin warranty is good just don't do ANY modifications , changes to the gun. Also make sure to use the right size oring to repair the leak. I hope that you get it fixed without a bunch of hassle . Were abouts do you live in south west Idaho? maybe we can get together for a shoot . 

You will be well taken care of with Crosman. Like others have mentioned, the reason there asking where it's leaking from is it can possibly be a really easy fix that doesn't require it being sent back to them. They can determine that. But working with them your warranty won't be voided. I know it's frustrating but leaks happen. Alittle patience and Crosman will get you taken care of.

My related gun had a burst disk work itself loose due to (I presume..) differential expansion. The brass keeper for the brass burst disk came in loose from the steel pressure tube. A quick and light touch with a hex wrench remedied the problem. I believe your burst disk is just under the scope rail next to the bottle.

Don't get mad. Get smart and get back to having fun!

OK so there's no other Kratos reported on the net that leaks down to zero assuming that's exactly what your brand new gun is doing.

First Tighten the bottle on the gun then cock it and fill it to 3000psi. If it leaks through the barrel and breech then deliberately double load 2 pellets into the gun one at a time remove the magazine but leave it cocked with side lever closed and gun on safe and always pointed in a safe direction with a good backstop. That will force the air to not leak out of the barrel while filling it especially when filling from zero air pressure when using a hand pump or slow fill compressor if you don't have a tank to fill it from the dreaded zero start pressure.

After it reaches 3000psi Bleed out the air as quick as possible spin that bleeder screw real quick as possible so it don't totally drain all the air out if you dilly-dally twisting it too slow then you can disconnect the hose.

I don't see anything else that could be wrong since yours is likely the only case (reported) of a Kratos being received dead upon arrival.

Found the leak. Bleeder screw. Filled and let set overnight this morning only lost about 250 psi, a far cry from 3000 psi.I will continue to try and get through to Crosman by phone and email to see where we go from here. I have torqued that hex screw down and can't get it to seat any further. Is there an 0 ring under this ?

I want to publicly Thank You all for your comments and suggestions and reassurance that manuf. will come through (if I ever get them on the phone). I certainly learned a lot from the answers you all sent. (cocking before adding air from tank) and so many more trouble shooting suggestions all of which I am saving for future reference .

Wayne (Choper 456)