New Rifle Break In

Too many variables at play to give any sort of definitive guidance, so what we can offer you are merely individual preferences. For example my experience is that break-in seldom accounts for more than a scant fraction of an airgun’s overall accuracy potential. As such, I don’t want to spend a bunch of time on break-in only to then find out there is a substantial defect in the barrel or elsewhere that I could have long since identified.

So I start by looking everything over for any loose fasteners or parts not fitting well, and check that moving parts operate correctly (e.g. bolt and trigger). If I identify any issues, I address them before moving on. Otherwise I clean the barrel and mount a scope and grab some cheap pellets to get it roughly sighted in. Then it’s straight to the better pellets to get a sense of what it likes and its capacity to group. Later, I may return to the cheaper pellets if it manages to group them well enough to be interesting, like punching aspirin-sized Mardi Gras beads at 30 yards or the dime-sized ones at 50 yards.

If you’re new to the hobby, you will be acquiring knowledge at your own pace and prioritized in a way that is most meaningful to you. My way of doing it may not be right for you. Bottom line, if whatever approach you choose…if it’s not fun, change it up. If there’s a technical hurdle, do a search or ask the forum. There aren’t many things you could encounter that would be new to us.

Each rifle likes its own particular pellet. Even two rifles of the same make and model will most likely like different pellets.

So, with a new rifle the first day I carry a dozen different brands, weights and styles of pellets out to the shooting table. I take ten shots with each one. That is already 120 shots. I keep on the table the most accurate pellet, and go get another ten or twelve various weights and so on. I keep the best one of that bunch and then have a contest between the two and pick the pellet for that particular rifle.

Time I am done I have 300 shots out of the rifle. At this point the crony will tell you if the piston seal has settled in or not as the deviation in fps will not be much. At this point the rifle is doing all it will ever do. 300 shots is on average adequate.

Now if you are not like myself and do not shoot everyday like I do, yes you can burn some Crossman Premiers as the rifle does not care what it is as you wear in the piston seal. Then you can switch to JSB and Air Arms or H and N.

Overall experience has proven to me that ordinary domed pellets will always be the more accurate. Hollow points and fancy pointed pellets generally are less accurate. In some rifles a wad cutter will shine.

PCP, same process, you may try 12 to 20 different pellets to find the best one for that particular rifle. If it is regulated the regulator will also settle in.

Hint, unless you are shooting over 850 fps do not clean the barrel, I do not prescribe to all the nonsense of seasoning the barrel for each pellet, I just shoot away. I have never found any justification for some facts that became facts that are not factual. Grin!!!

Cheers

Kit

A good rifle with a clean barrel is going to be decently accurate out of the box if it’s got any potential. Pellets being fairly cheap, I would use the ones she likes. I’d still give the cheap pellets a chance though. you might be surprised. If you can literally shoot the tacks out of the target with Crosman hollow points, then it’s a good place to start. Why pay more and pay shipping unless you require a heavier pellet or etc.