• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New Red Wolf .25 swivel movement on stock

Have a new red wolf .25 and it has a left to ride swivel movement on the stock.

The bolt holding the stock to the receiver is done up quite tight.

As it only has 1 bolt holding stock to receiver this does seem a little inherent in the design that it will want to swivel on this bolt.

I contacted the shop I bought if from and they said they have another new one in the shop which does the same. They also said when they test fired it, my rifle was quite accurate and to try it and see and report my findings to them.

Seems to me movement between the stock and receiver can only have a negative effect on accuracy.

Have other owners noticed this and is it a problem I need to solve or is it part of the design and doesn't effect accuracy?

That sounds incredibly frustrating, to have action wobble on what is supposed to be a hand-fitted premium rifle. 

My suggestion would be to bed the action. This isn't a centerfire rifle, it requires less support and less heat tolerance, so I'd advise against the sticky drippy messy glass bedding compound you see in that industry. Instead I might recommend going with epoxy putty. Epoxy putty won't sag or run, and if you put just a little mould release on the parts of your action where you apply it, it won't grab onto your rifle at all. I've used it before on PBs which aren't too powerful but have a little movement in their stocks. So far it has worked great for me.

Really it is like a sculpting clay that adheres when it cures. So a little mould release on the rifle, and a few small bits of this pressed into the bottom corners of your stock (knead thoroughly and wear gloves), tighten the action screws, and let it sit for 24 hours. 

Something like this product:
https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-1999131-Purpose-Repair-Ounces/dp/B000BOB8P6/

As for mould release, I often use this stuff. It has never failed me:
https://www.amazon.com/Smooth-Universal-Mold-Release-fl/dp/B004BNHLOK

Food for thought. :) Again I've never done this on a RW, but I've done it on a bunch of PBs. 

An action that uses a single attaching screw is likely to have a small amount of movement. These aren't custom rifles, the assembler grabs a stock and slaps an action in it. My .22 Red Wolf has a small amount of slop in the fit, but it shoots great. If you think it is affecting accuracy, just shim the action with something to create a tight fit. My guess, you will see no change. 

I had been a little concerned about while doing all my testing as well. I made a small plastic shim out of a plastic package for something and seemed to help with the movement but not a bit of change in accuracy. More recently I pillar bedded it but it has such a small bearing surface, there is still some movement. Still no change in accuracy. If it bothers you, the adhesive pad trick mentioned above is probably the best choice as trying to limit movement by molding something around the plastic board cover is not a good idea.

I've suggested some attention to that to DS but we'll just have to see what the evolution results are. It sure shoots well for me, so probably not going to mess with it more from here, myself. 

Bob

I think there may be a simple reason this issue is generally not a problem. In my case, the small amount of movement I can generate in my Red Wolf is lateral, so, the small amount of recoil generated does not have enough torque effect to move the action in that direction. Or, if it does, it does it consistently every time, as there is no discernible adverse affect on accuracy.