• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New RAW chassis - disappointing 1st day

I could never get slugs to out perform MRDs in my RAWs. In all fairness though I never tried the 17.5 grain slugs that Randall uses.
Tim, like you, I have not tried to really tune for slugs thru my RAW, I just got lucky trying to tune for slugs and pellets on all on the same tune 😂! It just came down to the lightest slugs I could find that were close to 18gr pellet weight! Then it was a matter of finding the right circumference that my barrel needs to spin stabilize them. I believe it comes down to fit and length of slug in conjunction with speed to get spin stabilization leading to accuracy with slugs that matches ones barrel....whew! LOL!

Still shooting the RAW, things are getting better. Picked up an air stripper from Rowan Engineering and have been playing with that lately. Seems to help. Has an adjustable brass cone so I’ve been shooting groups at 50 yards, adjusting 1 mm at a time.

Today was windy and cold probably not the best day to be doing what I was doing.

The targets are numbered. Numbers correspond to the distance the cone sticks out from the body on the air stripper. Target 3 is 3mm. Not possible for me to measure the distance from the cone to the crown of the barrel. My RAW has the thread adapter on the barrel, crown or barrel is maybe 1/2 inch back from end of thread adapter.

All targets are shot with a full mag of 12 shots. FPS is in the mid 930’s. Targets 7 and 2 look promising. Next time out I’m back on the 100 yard range.

9075DB54-FED2-4043-ABF4-042D24A7DA10.jpeg
B9528004-88F7-41C1-B863-EDD2EDC007DD.jpeg
4921D7A4-C855-42AB-BFBA-D63A04CDD26E.jpeg
1C052BCF-F519-4C1D-97AC-ECFFEAC69C32.jpeg

Reactions: Gear_Junkie
Did you ever get this RAW shooting to your expectations?
It’s getting better but haven’t taken it to 100 yards lately. Been away from the range for awhile. Hopefully at the end of this week I can get the time and decent weather.

I was really hoping to shoot the northeast airgun comp up in NH this spring. The whole reason I bought this gun was for it to perform with the MRD pellet. I certainly haven’t given up.

I did end up taking a brush to the bore awhile back And finishing my cleaning with naptha to remove any balistol. Results improved after that.

It’s getting better but haven’t taken it to 100 yards lately. Been away from the range for awhile. Hopefully at the end of this week I can get the time and decent weather.

I was really hoping to shoot the northeast airgun comp up in NH this spring. The whole reason I bought this gun was for it to perform with the MRD pellet. I certainly haven’t given up.

I did end up taking a brush to the bore awhile back And finishing my cleaning with naptha to remove any balistol. Results improved after that.
The "work" you are doing and parts you are adding will certainly tighten up a group, and they look very improved. However, based on the randomness of them still, one thing I didn't see is you experiment with was trying a different scope. If the scope's parallax or internals are off or jiggling around then the same thing will happen. I had it happening to me on a rifle and discovered the parallax tube was sticking in the cold and then would release, an issue with Gen 1 Athlon's. Athlon sent a warranty replacement and tightened up the group immediately.

@Heavyopp, a close look at the muzzle's crown with a magnifying glass or bore scope would also be something else to do. A bad crown will spread out a group like this. Good sharp, even edge all the way around the bore and rifling is what you are hoping to see. Look for burrs coming off the corners of the rifling, rolled edges, deformity from behind hit with the end of a cleaning rod, ect.

It also would not hurt to push a pellet through the barrel bore from the breech end with a cleaning rod to get a "feel" for the bore. You might discover a tight spot in the back or middle that us squeezing the pellets smaller than the bore's end and that would make big groups as well.

@Heavyopp, a close look at the muzzle's crown with a magnifying glass or bore scope would also be something else to do. A bad crown will spread out a group like this. Good sharp, even edge all the way around the bore and rifling is what you are hoping to see. Look for burrs coming off the corners of the rifling, rolled edges, deformity from behind hit with the end of a cleaning rod, ect.

It also would not hurt to push a pellet through the barrel bore from the breech end with a cleaning rod to get a "feel" for the bore. You might discover a tight spot in the back or middle that us squeezing the pellets smaller than the bore's end and that would make big groups as well.
Muzzle crown could be an issue. It just doesn’t look uniform but admittedly I haven’t looked real hard at it. It’s not the easiest thing to see or get a picture of because of the threaded adapter on the end of the barrel.

I’ll get a better look at it before next range trip, see if I can get a picture.

You could be right about the scope too. Never had that scope on anything else. Arken EP 5.