New RAW chassis - disappointing 1st day

Picked up a new RAW hm1000x chassis rifle in .22 yesterday along with 5 tins of the FX 25.4 grn pellets. No moderator version, just thread protector.
Mounted an Arken EP 5 5x25 on a set of American Rifle co rings I had laying around.
Pulled a little Balistol through the barrel to clean it up and headed to the range today.

Cool, upper 30’s today. Little to no wind.
I did not bring my chrony, I did not bring any type of muzzle device. Gun, tank, pellets, targets, and a range bag.
Set up on the 100 yard range. 1st shot was on the board was able to adjust scope from there. From here it went downhill.

I was lucky to hit the paper. From everything I read, I was not expecting this. No groups. Might as well have been shooting a shotgun. I know its new, season a barrel a little, settle the regs. I got so frustrated shooting paper that I ended up shooting at the broken clay bird pieces on the berm Just so I could see where the pellets where going.

No pattern, one shot would be close, next left 3 inches and low 5, next right 12” and low 10”, next high and so on. Almost like I was clipping a moderator. No barrel device installed other than the thread protector.

I’m actually hoping it’s turbulence at the muzzle being a bare barrel.

When I got home I kept the gun cold and did run it through the chrony — right where it should be, 946 high, 935 low for 14 shot string. Average 940.

Thoughts? I sure could use some suggestions.

7341F6BE-37AC-4E42-B749-56D994F511A2.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: Loff and Thach2264
Check all screws for looseness, then clean barrel (polish if possible), then check the crown and leade. Another thing that could be a simple fix is that with the .22 Redsigned, they NEED to be sorted and it looks like your tin may be the culprit, try a different tin also sorted. I really do hope you get this figured out quickly as Martin builds incredible PCP's and this is not how his guns shoot.

I did weigh 20 or so pellets when I got home today. I was thinking the same thing. High of 25.6, low of 25.2 with most at 25.3/25.4

I’ll get a look down that barrel and clean it up again.

I’m really thinking it’s turbulence at the muzzle being a bare barrel. When I could see pellets flying I would have sworn they where corkscrewing through the air.

Yeah, I had similar experience with my 25 cal (not quite so wild) at 50 yards. I added a moderator and that cleaned things right up even out to 100. See, the older RAWs had an integral moderator, that few liked. I found that version in 22 to shoot all pellets through same hole out to 50 yards. Still does. But these new rifles with the threaded ends are a different beast. Try adding a moderator. Also weight sort and, if possible, head size sort your pellets. The 22 is factory tuned for the JSB monster redesigns and by the chrony, so is yours. Shoot those sorted. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Ranchibi
That looks like the same pattern I got out of my dusty Remington Nitro break barrel until I went to a heavier pellet. A really dumb question, how do the pellets fit in the barrel?

Hard to answer that, I was single loading because my scope rings are too low for the mag, pellets fit as they should. occasional one thats slightly harder than the rest to seat but nothing concerning.

Reactions: HogKiller
Clean the barrel thoroughly with a rod and brush, and try some different pellets. I would be very surprised if the issue is muzzle turbulence.
Seems silly to need to brush an airgun barrel. Something I’ve never done in 30 years. Especially on a new gun that came out of the box just a day ago.

I will pull some patches today and get a look in the barrel.

Hello @Heavyopp,

Sorry and surprised to hear about the shooting problems. Not that is any help, but my RAW shot quarter size patterns at 85 yards. However this was after many tins of MRD pellets down the barrel. May I offer one suggestion for you to try, shoot at 25 yards and review the results and then mover out to 50 and repeat. If you are having problems at these short distances, then it is time to call and talk with Martin. Hope you can resolve the problem soon.

ThomasT

Seems silly to need to brush an airgun barrel. Something I’ve never done in 30 years. Especially on a new gun that came out of the box just a day ago.

I will pull some patches today and get a look in the barrel.
It's not common, I admit. But I've had several barrels that would not clean up with a pull through. But, if my suggestion is silly, then it's obviously one you should disregard. If acceptable performance doesn't appear after eliminating the scope, shooter, and pellet, I would send it to Martin, he'll make it right.

Hello @Heavyopp,

Sorry and surprised to hear about the shooting problems. Not that is any help, but my RAW shot quarter size patterns at 85 yards. However this was after many tins of MRD pellets down the barrel. May I offer one suggestion for you to try, shoot at 25 yards and review the results and then mover out to 50 and repeat. If you are having problems at these short distances, then it is time to call and talk with Martin. Hope you can resolve the problem soon.

ThomasT
Normally I wouldn’t have jumped right on the 100 yard range with a new gun but I was excited and figured the gun would handle it easily.

Next trip I’ll start close. Can do 37 yards safe from home. I’ll see what happens there as I should have before jumping on the big range.

It's not common, I admit. But I've had several barrels that would not clean up with a pull through. But, if my suggestion is silly, then it's obviously one you should disregard. If acceptable performance doesn't appear after eliminating the scope, shooter, and pellet, I would send it to Martin, he'll make it right.
Didn’t mean it that way. I knew it might sound like that as soon as I hit post. I do appreciate all feedback and your thoughts.

Silly as in it’s a new gun out of the box, what could possibly need brushing. It never even gave me 3 good shots. Balistol patches ran clean after the 1st one.

Yeah, I had similar experience with my 25 cal (not quite so wild) at 50 yards. I added a moderator and that cleaned things right up even out to 100. See, the older RAWs had an integral moderator, that few liked. I found that version in 22 to shoot all pellets through same hole out to 50 yards. Still does. But these new rifles with the threaded ends are a different beast. Try adding a moderator. Also weight sort and, if possible, head size sort your pellets. The 22 is factory tuned for the JSB monster redesigns and by the chrony, so is yours. Shoot those sorted. Hope this helps.
Lke Ross suggested also, size the Redesigned for sure as well as weighing them!

Just to jump in here again, I doubt there is anything going on with the barrel. I wouldn't go scrubbing the barrel if it were mine. I have proven to myself that the RAW needs a moderator if for no other reason than to strip the turbulent air off the pellet as it leaves barrel. That's what the original giant muffler on the older RAWs did. Having said all this, there may be another factor to consider — 22 cal is not at it's best at 100 yards. Start at 25-30 and see what it does with weight sorted and head sorted pellets. Then move to 50 and see what it does. Here are a couple targets to illustrate. First 25 yard with teeny groups then 50 with larger, but still sub moa groups. Lastly 100 yards. These were shot on different days, but all under ideal wind and weather conditions.

54E260EF-ACFD-47C7-B7F8-CEA5BEBC0B8B.jpeg
E78D5D2F-0E19-40D6-8682-624F63F1B402.jpeg
0AD5E0BF-2D22-471F-9B79-DB690B12B217.jpeg

Just to jump in here again, I doubt there is anything going on with the barrel. I wouldn't go scrubbing the barrel if it were mine. I have proven to myself that the RAW needs a moderator if for no other reason than to strip the turbulent air off the pellet as it leaves barrel. That's what the original giant muffler on the older RAWs did. Having said all this, there may be another factor to consider — 22 cal is not at it's best at 100 yards. Start at 25-30 and see what it does with weight sorted and head sorted pellets. Then move to 50 and see what it does. Here are a couple targets to illustrate. First 25 yard with teeny groups then 50 with larger, but still sub moa groups. Lastly 100 yards. These were shot on different days, but all under ideal wind and weather conditions.
This is excellent advice. I think the OP's solution will be in pellet selection and tuning. And yes, shooting at 25-30 yards is an easy and good way to get feel for the performance. Shooting pellets at 100 yards is a challenge for sure, but if you have the pellet and tuning combination that shoots tiny one-hole groups at 25 yards, you can be almost certain that nothing is wrong with the barrel or rifle.