New place to shoot pigeons

Been seeing birds at this place for years. Finally decided to drop in and ask FOR Permission. Went in and talked with girl up front and she asked if I had a card. I handed her my card and started my spill, then plant manager came thru door. A “good ole boy” as we say. We hit it off right away and he said week ends are best and have at it. Could not be more excited.
IMG_0713.jpeg

They mfg animal food. I told him no charge and we had a Korean woman that would take them. She mentioned KO people liked pigeon last week when I was in her store. If not, I might try a “popper” like I saw a guy on YouTube shooting pigeons under abridge then he breasted them and stuff cheese in a jalapeño pepper and wrapped bacon around it. Oh yea, Off My Rocker is his “channel” on YouTube. They seemed calm when I drove around. No idea if anyone else has hunted them.

Reactions: darylm
mark T,

I’ve never tried it with pigeons but I’ve done eleventeen-bazillion dove breasts this way.

Breast em’ out, meaning two pieces of meat per bird. Season with what ever blows your skirt up…I prefer a sweet and spicy pork rub. Core out a jalapeño and cut them in half long ways. Mix up some crushed pineapple with cream cheese and smear it into the jalapeño halves. Don’t be shy with the pineapple. Place a piece of breast meat between the two jalapeño halves, wrap in bacon, and stab a toothpick through everything to hold it together. Add fire. I prefer red oak, but any fire will do. Cook until the bacon is just done enough, and enjoy.

I’m quite sure you could substitute a dog turd for the breast meat and the poppers would still be delectable.

My all-time fav way to cook me some dove breasts.

Justin

Great shooting and a sweet spot. We had a deal like that back 5 or so years ago. Crazy thing is when we shot the first pigeon the rest flew away and landed on power lines about 150 yards away and sat there until we walked that way and shot another one, only to have them fly back to the original spot. We ended up just giving up. We didn't see any fun in all the going back and forth. We figured they had been shot at before. It was fun while it lasted.

Ray

Great shooting and a sweet spot. We had a deal like that back 5 or so years ago. Crazy thing is when we shot the first pigeon the rest flew away and landed on power lines about 150 yards away and sat there until we walked that way and shot another one, only to have them fly back to the original spot. We ended up just giving up. We didn't see any fun in all the going back and forth. We figured they had been shot at before. It was fun while it lasted.

Ray
These pigeons flew after the 2nd first shot.. Then they would fly each time we shot.. I think a .177 with lower velocity would be better to reduce the "thud." Basically go to 4 different locations. We just drive around and shoot them.. Very fortunate to be able to drive around and hunt from vehicle.. They got wise after a while. Shooting inside building was fun but the overhead LED lights made it very difficult to see the target. Hopefully next time the lights will be off.