• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

New person here

Hi. Just found this site. Blew my shoulders and had to sell all my archery stuff. At nearly 67 I found myself hankering for a new hobby. Voila!!! I have been looking at a Gamo Raptor in .177 for plinking and light hunting(squirrels, etc.,.). I am looking for general input, for example...I was thinking a heads up red dot for the Raptor. Good idea or not? ....and things like does anyone make a pellet tuning kit so you can find out what works best before investing in umpteen cases of "pellet brand x?"
Thanks, and look forward to chatting.
Rich A.

Hi and welcome to the forum. I'm not familiar with your rifle model so I checked out the power output of it. It seems pretty powerful meaning that it shoots pellets quite fast. So you should look for some heavier amuniton to keep the velocity low because at high speeds over 1000 fps diabolo shaped pellets become very unstable and start to spiral out of control. There might be exceptions but in general pellets like to be shot at speeds up to around 950 fps. Lower is better. I believe the sweet spot in velocity would be between 800 to 900 fps. You should check out the heavier pellets from JSB and H&N. Those are some of the best manufacturers out there imo. They also have sets of samples (try out kits) or sample kits. I hope this was helpful to you.

"If you have bad shoulders a break barrel may not be a great choice." He IS correct and certainly something to think about, a lot.

Hey and welcome to the forum.
Ignore what Gamo might say and count on More than 40 pounds to cock it. I only had 5 hours work on my should (but still all natural!) and while I would fire one I would not sit down and shoot with one and you will want to shoot a bunch.
Ignore All the "1,300fps" and Magnum hype. You do not need it and actually do not want it. Pellets will not group at 1,300fps.
You might make another post explaining your situation and asking what the best LOW budget springer is. Also do not get hung up on "gas ram", at all. A powerful ram might actually hit your shoulder harder/sharper.
The web site is awful (more a place holder these day's) but you might try Calling MIke at flyingdragonairrifle , might have something good for you.
Depending on your shooting a "single stroke pneumatic" might be a LOT of fun. Any chance you are a CMP member? They have a rebuilt inspected Daisy 853 in your price range.
I know there are some pcp airgun hunter up your way, it is worth a post asking if anyone is near. Most everyone into airguns will talk airguns with you. If you lived near me (nope) I would make you a heck of a good deal on a Crosman (hey and check there web site, the excellent customer service, PARTS and 5 year warranty might be nice for you).
Do you know you will NOT get a part from Gamo should you need it?
I know it is hard to wait but perhaps slow down on buying that rifle and you will likely enjoy both your spending and shooting experience.

Keep us posted.

John

Hi. Just found this site. Blew my shoulders and had to sell all my archery stuff. At nearly 67 I found myself hankering for a new hobby. Voila!!! I have been looking at a Gamo Raptor in .177 for plinking and light hunting(squirrels, etc.,.). I am looking for general input, for example...I was thinking a heads up red dot for the Raptor. Good idea or not? ....and things like does anyone make a pellet tuning kit so you can find out what works best before investing in umpteen cases of "pellet brand x?"
Thanks, and look forward to chatting.
Rich A.
shh-secret.gif