• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New PCP rookie says hello.

Hello AGN!

Like a lot of kids growing up, I had a Crosman or Daisy multi-pump pneumatic air rifle. I terrorized the local fauna and ventilated many a aluminum can. In my teenage years (late 90s, early 2000s) my father bought me a (comparatively) nice break barrel spring gun. I'm not sure the make/model or what happened to it over the years. It was .177 caliber in a handsome wood stock with an adjustable 2 stage trigger and a 4x scope. It was quite accurate and had decent power.

As an adult I turned my interest to powder burning rifles and pistols, of which I have collected a variety. A few years ago I purchased a Winchester (Daisy) 77XS air rifle on an impulse. I moved into a new home last year with a larger backyard and started plinking quite a bit with it. With the price of powder ammo through the roof, it was a economical and convenient way to get some trigger time.

That cheap Daisy multi-pump broke a couple months ago, and I decided to step up my air rifle game. After a minimum amount of research, and a little extra cash burning a hole in my pocket, I decided to take the leap into the PCP world. I ordered an Air Venturi Avenger in .22 caliber based on a review from one of my favorite YouTubers. It was admittedly also somewhat of an impulse buy, but I'm so glad I pulled the trigger.

Next I needed to figure out how I was going to fill it with HPA. Hand pumps seemed like too much work, and buying a compressor was out of my budget at the time. Then I had a thought; what about the 5500psi SCBA bottles we use at work? I am a firefighter in a large city, and have access to bottles and fill stations. After a bit of searching I discovered the Stikman fill system from Air Tanks Plus. Bingo, that's what I got.

I was on a tight budget and ended up using the cheap Chinese 4x scope that came with my previously mentioned pump gun. After shooting close to 1000 rounds through my 22 Avenger, I must say PCPs are a lot of fun. I am enjoying it more than I imagined I would. The accuracy of the air rifle is way better than expected. I can shoot single hole groups at 30 yards from a rest. I haven't been able to shoot groups past 30 yards yet. I am able to stretch out to about 50 yards if I shoot from the side of the house, and I'm still able to hit my small steel targets 9 times out of 10.
I've set out a number of my small swinging steel rimfire targets between 30 and 40 yards that I shoot from my back deck.

I've had so much fun with it that I've decided to buy myself a premium air rifle in the near future, but I'll save that thought for another post. 😉

Thank you for reading my wall of text!
I'm eager to learn from the experience of the group!!

Reactions: golfer70
Hello AGN!

Like a lot of kids growing up, I had a Crosman or Daisy multi-pump pneumatic air rifle. I terrorized the local fauna and ventilated many a aluminum can. In my teenage years (late 90s, early 2000s) my father bought me a (comparatively) nice break barrel spring gun. I'm not sure the make/model or what happened to it over the years. It was .177 caliber in a handsome wood stock with an adjustable 2 stage trigger and a 4x scope. It was quite accurate and had decent power.

As an adult I turned my interest to powder burning rifles and pistols, of which I have collected a variety. A few years ago I purchased a Winchester (Daisy) 77XS air rifle on an impulse. I moved into a new home last year with a larger backyard and started plinking quite a bit with it. With the price of powder ammo through the roof, it was a economical and convenient way to get some trigger time.

That cheap Daisy multi-pump broke a couple months ago, and I decided to step up my air rifle game. After a minimum amount of research, and a little extra cash burning a hole in my pocket, I decided to take the leap into the PCP world. I ordered an Air Venturi Avenger in .22 caliber based on a review from one of my favorite YouTubers. It was admittedly also somewhat of an impulse buy, but I'm so glad I pulled the trigger.

Next I needed to figure out how I was going to fill it with HPA. Hand pumps seemed like too much work, and buying a compressor was out of my budget at the time. Then I had a thought; what about the 5500psi SCBA bottles we use at work? I am a firefighter in a large city, and have access to bottles and fill stations. After a bit of searching I discovered the Stikman fill system from Air Tanks Plus. Bingo, that's what I got.

I was on a tight budget and ended up using the cheap Chinese 4x scope that came with my previously mentioned pump gun. After shooting close to 1000 rounds through my 22 Avenger, I must say PCPs are a lot of fun. I am enjoying it more than I imagined I would. The accuracy of the air rifle is way better than expected. I can shoot single hole groups at 30 yards from a rest. I haven't been able to shoot groups past 30 yards yet. I am able to stretch out to about 50 yards if I shoot from the side of the house, and I'm still able to hit my small steel targets 9 times out of 10.
I've set out a number of my small swinging steel rimfire targets between 30 and 40 yards that I shoot from my back deck.

I've had so much fun with it that I've decided to buy myself a premium air rifle in the near future, but I'll save that thought for another post. 😉

Thank you for reading my wall of text!
I'm eager to learn from the experience of the group!!
Welcome aboard

Reactions: FireDuck
Thank you all for the warm welcome. The fire service is a very rewarding career with many perks. The salary could be better (always could be), but hey I'm making up for it in free air! Plus I absolutely love my job and the crew I work with. I ride the busiest Ladder Company in our city, and probably our state.

Today I've been trying to figure out what is causing a horizontal POI shift in my avenger. After checking all screws for tightness, on a whim I manually torqued the barrel shroud in the opposite direction of shift. What do you know it's hitting POA now. Even tho I will be upgrading to a nicer PCP soon, I still want the Avenger to be G2G for backyard fun. I just ordered an aftermarket barrel band from Bonacci Goods. Hopefully that will help solidify the barrel/shroud.